• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training under the influence

mustangkiller

I did a little shooting today and got to thinking about the old saying "train like you fight, fight like you train". Then I started wondering, I'm not a big drinker but sometimes I have a buzz going. What if I'm home and some crazy person decided to kick my door in after a few drinks? I'm not gonna lie and say I've never put a few rounds down range while drinking but that was just messing around and putting holes in old TVs or some other non typical target. I wonder though, would it be a good idea to go thru some drills while buzzed? Like I said, "train like you fight, fight like you train". Obviously I can't be DRUNK and I would have to take some extra safety measures but I just wanted to get y'alls opinion.

Ready, set, flame on ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I did a little shooting today and got to thinking about the old saying "train like you fight, fight like you train". Then I started wondering, I'm not a big drinker but sometimes I have a buzz going. What if I'm home and some crazy person decided to kick my door in after a few drinks? I'm not gonna lie and say I've never put a few rounds down range while drinking but that was just messing around and putting holes in old TVs or some other non typical target. I wonder though, would it be a good idea to go thru some drills while buzzed? Like I said, "train like you fight, fight like you train". Obviously I can't be DRUNK and I would have to take some extra safety measures but I just wanted to get y'alls opinion.

Ready, set, flame on ;)

There are ways to do that with great safety. Airsoft or simunitions are not going to be your friends for this. If you want to know how I know this send me a PM and $25 in small, unmarked bills to go towards the cost of repair/replacement/medical care. :lol:

Laserlyte http://www.laserlyte.com/products/lts-target makes one style of device. (well, actually two) Here http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/12671/laser-training-devices/ is a write-up. You can make your own reflective targets out of aluminum foil - scrunch it up and then flatten it to get facets. I use 4"x4" squares and double-sided tape to put them all over the place. I practice shooting home invaders from my recliner because that is where I am going to be when they come busting in the door. (Well, either there, here in front of the keyboard, or on the throne. Yes, I practice there too.)

I'm not saying you should, just pointing out a way you could that is as safe as you can make it.

Buzzed or sober, you should not shoot the pets with a laser. Well, maybe the goldfish, but nothing else.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
OPEN CARRIER HATES GOLDFISH!

Disassociated Press 11/16/12

On the heels of the sensational video where students
froze a goldfish in liquid nitrogen and then revived him, a
local open carrier is combining sport fishing with shooting practice.
He advocates torturing a goldfish with a laser device intended
for use in improving shooting skill.

PETA spokeswoman, Annie Killcat lambasted the practice;
and offered to store in their freezers any goldfish who met
an untimely end from the activity. "Its cruel. Our
research shows the animals suffer badly. Only fishermen
deserve such an ugly end," she said.

The ASPGF said the punishment should be scaled to fit the
crime, noting that the comment could hook other OCers into
the practice.

Several carnival operators simply said, "Cool!"

Unnamed sources speculated that the OCer pushing the
practice was simply trying to get practice lasers banned by
gun control advocates, noting he probably owns a shooting
range and knew the controversy would steer business from
lasers back to traditional shooting ranges.

Barrel-makers breathed a sigh of relief when they realized
this might mean an end to endless barrel repairs. "Actually, we
hate the adage about shooting fish in a barrel. You have no idea
how much time and energy it takes to repair a shot-up barrel"
said one barrel cooper who didn't want to give his name.

Dr. I. Fryebrane, an eminent psychiatrist who specializes in cranial
proctology commented, "This hatred of goldfish is highly significant!
It proves the subject has confusions between investments, the animal
world, and violence. When I interviewed the subject, he disavowed
any hatred of fish, saying it was a casual, off-hand remark. And, as we all
know, offhand is a position used in shooting. So, his problem is very
deep-seated." Fryebrane also offered to begin research on abused
goldfish if he can win government support, looking forward to the
day when insurance would cover mental therapy for abused goldfish.

This article was not compiled from wire reports but from a vivid imagination.

:D

Last edited:

mustangkiller

The airsoft idea is a good one. Like I said in the original post, I know safety would be a major concern. I was more interested in your thoughts on the theory of buzzed training. Thanx for the replies so far though.

WalkingWolf

The airsoft idea is a good one. Like I said in the original post, I know safety would be a major concern. I was more interested in your thoughts on the theory of buzzed training. Thanx for the replies so far though.

I don't imbibe alcohol, the only way I would be buzzed is if chased by a bee, or a wasp. Buzzzzzzzzz (wish I had a bee smiley):uhoh:

Phoenix David

Probably should go and buy some oxycodone and take it and then drill, just in case you get attacked after having surgery. You should also drill naked, wet and soapy in case you were in the shower.

SPOProds

Probably should go and buy some oxycodone and take it and then drill, just in case you get attacked after having surgery. You should also drill naked, wet and soapy in case you were in the shower.

I knew there was something I was forgetting to incorporate into my training.