• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GREENESBORO new ordinance

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
While i was OCing today i took a gander at the newspaper, and i saw this....

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/11/17/article/council_imposes_downtown_curfew?ref=nf

Not sure about yall...But this drives me crazy.... The exceptions...Married....what....
would if you got caught and you said you were "Exercising First Amendment rights of assembly" do they have to let you go....you know they wont.
I think this is STUPID and POINTLESS. I think a bunch of under aged people need to protest this downtown after 11pm on January 1st

SNIP:GREENSBORO — The city adopted a curfew Tuesday night prohibiting anyone under 18 from being downtown without an adult, as well as stronger ordinances against loitering.

----Moderator Edited---
RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

They are intended to address public safety concerns downtown and the perception that downtown is unsafe late at night.

sultan62

I don't like it, but I don't see anything illegal about it.

Also, watch fair use. You should copy over only a piece of the article and link the rest.

M

mattwestm

I wonder what being married and a minor has to do with anything... Triangle Town Center mall in Raleigh did something similar. Banning anyone under 18 on the weekends unless with a parent or unless going to work. I view it as a good thing and a bad thing. Usually, high school kids aren't buying anything in the mall and may be causing trouble. But at the same time, they might think "well, we can't go to the mall, so let's start trouble"

I haven't shopped at Triangle Town Center since the ban because I got tired of people harassing me for my ID. I obviously look older than 18. Bleh, I'm not a fan of shopping malls anyways.

Dreamer

OK, so let me get this straight...

A 22 year old shoots two other adults in Greensboro outside a club late at night--a club that DOESN'T allow anyone inside who is under 18.

Greensboro passes a law that prohibits under 18's from being out late at night.

And this new law is supposed to help, HOW?...

Is the ENTIRE city council of Greensboro on crack or what?

Smith45acp

“What we have on the books is not working,” Mayor Bill Knight said. “Something is wrong and we have to fix it. This is a step forward.”

Well more laws always works out great right? Right?!

Gunslinger

While i was OCing today i took a gander at the newspaper, and i saw this....

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/11/17/article/council_imposes_downtown_curfew?ref=nf

Not sure about yall...But this drives me crazy.... The exceptions...Married....what....
would if you got caught and you said you were "Exercising First Amendment rights of assembly" do they have to let you go....you know they wont.
I think this is STUPID and POINTLESS. I think a bunch of under aged people need to protest this downtown after 11pm on January 1st

SNIP:GREENSBORO — The city adopted a curfew Tuesday night prohibiting anyone under 18 from being downtown without an adult, as well as stronger ordinances against loitering.

They are intended to address public safety concerns downtown and the perception that downtown is unsafe late at night.

A 22 year old shoots four people so they ban 17 year olds. Sounds like NC logic.

rotorhead

I'm a Californian, born and raised - does that mean i can't b!tch and moan about this precedent too? :banana:

Depends on which kind of BBQ you like, eastern or western NC style. If eastern (thinner, vinegar based sauce), then yes, feel free to bitch. If western (thicker, sweeter junk), then no....you gave up that right and should be making plans to move back to some yankee state by this weekend :)

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
Depends on which kind of BBQ you like, eastern or western NC style. If eastern (thinner, vinegar based sauce), then yes, feel free to bitch. If western (thicker, sweeter junk), then no....you gave up that right and should be making plans to move back to some yankee state by this weekend :)

+1

But i did see with my own eyes elixin eat Eastern style.

M

mattwestm

The only thing I like the Memphis/Western NC BBQ sauce on is Ribs and chicken! Sweet Baby Rays is awesome! Open Pit BBQ sauce is good too. I'm going to miss buying sauces in the NC section at Kroger. Never been a fan of SC style mustard sauce.

elixin77

I like both - so what happens now?

rscottie

I like many forms of BBQ.

Is it the E. NC style that has Red Cole Slaw on the side? MMMMMM....

sultan62

I think you might have some serious problems if your cole slaw is red...

Really though, I don't know the difference, other than of course red cabbage.

mekender

I think you might have some serious problems if your cole slaw is red...

Really though, I don't know the difference, other than of course red cabbage.

Oh it is this horrible stuff that is best put straight into the trash can...

rotorhead

I like many forms of BBQ.

Is it the E. NC style that has Red Cole Slaw on the side? MMMMMM....

lol no that is actually called "Lexington Style" coleslaw. Supposedly it was created in.....well.....you can guess that part. Mostly served in around Lexington/ Concord/ Western NC areas...there's a place in Rutherfordton that serves it and about the best I've had.
It's really just coleslaw with ketchup or tomato sauce added, or used as a base sauce instead or mayo.

Also, my last post was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I've actually never met a BBQ plate I haven't liked, try as I may. I'm in love with all of it- NC, Memphis/ KC, Texas brisket, pretty much everything. My all time favorite combines W and E NC. I like the pulled pork (preferably pulled straight from the hog) with the vinegar based mopping sauces. I kinda feel sorry for a good hunk of pork chopped up into confetti but I certainly won't refuse it :)

If you want something a little different, head on down to Columbia, SC and stop in at Maurice's BBQ where they specialize in a mustard based pulled pork BBQ....mmmmm.......

Last edited: