• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible mistake in the OC map

Marsupial

Where do I go or whom should I speak with regarding the possibility of some information being wrong on one of the Maps sections?

Basically, It's with this with the line that says "Minimum Age to OC: 18 (Valid Permit Required)". As far as I've been told by my CFP instructor and other LEOs, there is no permit required to open carry nor are there laws against doing so and I have't seen information on permits being required for those under 21 but instead only requiring permission from a parent or guardian.

Would someone be willing to help look into this or correct me if I'm wrong by pointing to the applicable sections in the utah.gov site?

ManInBlack

You can't have a round in the chamber without a permit. So, it's not "true" unlicensed open carry of a loaded firearm.

Marsupial

You can't have a round in the chamber without a permit. So, it's not "true" unlicensed open carry of a loaded firearm.

Haggling between the semantics aside, OC is still permitted without a permit. I think the statement at the above link is misleading to those seeking information here.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Haggling between the semantics aside, OC is still permitted without a permit. I think the statement at the above link is misleading to those seeking information here.

The best thing to do is shoot a PM to John (username Administrator) and let him know about your concern. :)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
Marsupial said:
Where do I go or whom should I speak with regarding the possibility of some information being wrong on one of the Maps sections?

That would be utbagpiper or myself.

Marsupial said:

If you apply this same logic to kalifornia, then they should also be listed as an open carry state? You can carry openly there too, but the map would imply otherwise. This has already been brought up with the administrator of this site, and to classify Utah otherwise would be far more misleading. Better to be careful than to mislead someone into breaking the law.

Last edited:

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
Would someone be willing to help look into this or correct me if I'm wrong by pointing to the applicable sections in the utah.gov site?

Here is the law that states you may not carry a loaded firearm on a "public street". (Which is not defined)

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

Persons under 18 in Utah do need parental permission to carry long arms, but may not carry handguns until the age of 18.

76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he:
(a) has the permission of his parent or guardian to have the weapon; or
(b) is accompanied by a parent or guardian while he has the weapon in his possession.
(2) Any minor under 14 years of age in possession of a dangerous weapon shall be accompanied by a responsible adult.
(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.

76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony.