• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Karma Holster Revisited

Fast Ed

I'm the guy that won the Karma Holster contest sponsored by Scott at Big River Leather last fall.

http://www.bigriverleather.com

I told Scott that I would review his holster and post my impressions after I had worn it for a few weeks. I got my permit before Christmas and have been wearing his holster since then.

The holster I ordered was the High Ride OWB in black leather with sharkskin trim. I also ordered a single magazine carrier and a matching black leather belt. I paid for the sharkskin, the mag carrier and the belt. Scott was generous enough to donate the holster, so I felt it was only right to order some of his other items to go along with it. The holster was ordered to fit my Para C6.45 LDA 3" .45 ACP. The length of the holster was perfect for the 3" barrel and was not longer than it needed to be in order to maximize the concealability. I have another holster (from someone else) that I ordered for a 3 1/2' barreled M&P and it was long enough to cover a 4 1/2" barrel which compromised concealability. I carry my gun at 3:30 behind my hip. This holster rides real well there and the sweat shield does not poke me in the side while seated even though I carry a little more around the waist than I did when I was in my 20's. The belt and holster pulls the gun tight against my side and should work as well when wearing an untucked shirt as it does under the sweatshirt in the picture. Retention is perfect with enough friction to hold the gun in place, but not too much to force a slow or awkward draw. One thing I really like is that this holster rides higher than some others and the gun remains hidden under my sweatshirt even if I raise my arms up. The sharkskin trim adds a level of panache even though it won't be seen by anyone but my closest and dearest friends. it also adds a level of stiffness to the holster mouth to make re-holstering easier.

The magazine carrier is sewn with "wings" for the belt loops that hold it in place much better than a single loop behind the carrier. When your belt is tightened the carrier stays where you put it and won't wander around your belt. It holds the mag tight enough to do somersaults even though I won't be doing any because I am no longer in my 20's, or 30's or 40's for that matter. However, it is not too tight and still allows a quick mag change.

The belt is double layer stitched and is just as nice as another belt I have from a different holster manufacturer whose name starts with a "G".

I was ecstatic that I had won the karma holster and am even more pleased now that I have had a chance to wear it for a while. If the rest of Scott's designs are anywhere near as good as this one, you will be more than pleased if you order from him.

May a big pile of good karma find its way to Scott and Big River Leather. He deserves it. Thanks again, Scott.

Fast Ed

Attachments

• Holster 1.JPG
    Holster 1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Holster 2.JPG
    Holster 2.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Holster 3.JPG
    Holster 3.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Holster 4.JPG
    Holster 4.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 117

Pyro01

Scott's a really good guy, he and I met at an NRA informational meeting in Baldwin, WI. After the meet, Scott and I were talking and he had a bunch of his holsters that I got to look at. The quality on his work is outstanding and I hope to be buying one of his holsters soon for my Taurus 24/7 OSS in .45 ACP.

goforlow

I've stated this before, Big River's products are great! I have and OWB for my wife's M&P compact and and IWB for my KelTec PF9. I carry the PF9 in warmer weather and carried it for 6 days straight on vacation in FL, about 12 to 14 hours a day. Build quality is great, retention is great, finish is great, comfort is great! I am looking at purchasing a Ruger LCR 357 and I WILL be purchasing a BRL holster for it!

Thanks Scott for providing a great product at a responsible price!

Fast Ed

How is the draw? My holster is a little awkward and I am looking for a replacement.

The angle of the holster provides for a decent draw from the 3:30 slot behind my hip. Because of the friction fit, you do have to give a yank to get it out, but it's sure not overly tight or hard to get out.

This time of year, the OWB works real well because of the sweatshirts I wear. I am also stocking up on pants that are 2" wider in the waist to carry IWB when summer rolls around.

Fast Ed