• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about concealed carry on election day, is my poling place off limits?

btm757

Am I correct in thinking that I can carry my handgun concealed with me into the voting booth?

Also, the place where I go to vote is Sherwood Forest Rec Center which is controlled by Norfolk Parks and Recreation so the building itself is not considered K-12 if I'm not mistaking. However it is right next to to a elementary school. It backs right up to it but is not connected in anyway shape or form.

http://www.norfolk.gov/rpos/SherwoodForest.asp

A quick way to find it on a map for a aerial view to show how close it is to the school
36°52'38.71"N
76°14'17.73"W

Thank you. I tried to find the answer looking online but am having little luck.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Am I correct in thinking that I can carry my handgun concealed with me into the voting booth?

Also, the place where I go to vote is Sherwood Forest Rec Center which is controlled by Norfolk Parks and Recreation so the building itself is not considered K-12 if I'm not mistaking. However it is right next to to a elementary school. It backs right up to it but is not connected in anyway shape or form.

http://www.norfolk.gov/rpos/SherwoodForest.asp

A quick way to find it on a map for a aerial view to show how close it is to the school
36°52'38.71"N
76°14'17.73"W

Thank you. I tried to find the answer looking online but am having little luck.

If its not on school property, that's not an issue.
Concealed is OK under the BOE manual but some polling places have banned OC. VCDL has said that carry is not illegal, so just print that out and show it to the Cops.

Not a good answer. Sorry, but there isn't a good answer right now. There was some turf tugging when it was being looked into.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Well btm it's hard to say if you can carry your concealed handgun there, but there's a chance that you may be able to. Now the lawfulness of the matter will come down to whether you have a valid concealed handgun license or that of a reciprocal state.

Since this is an Open Carry board, you may want to take a look at this thread for some background. Take note that the conclusion is different than the title of the thread suggests.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...g-place-according-to-State-Board-of-Elections

btm757

Well btm it's hard to say if you can carry your concealed handgun there, but there's a chance that you may be able to. Now the lawfulness of the matter will come down to whether you have a valid concealed handgun license or that of a reciprocal state.

Since this is an Open Carry board, you may want to take a look at this thread for some background. Take note that the conclusion is different than the title of the thread suggests.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...g-place-according-to-State-Board-of-Elections

Thanks for the replies I do have a valid VA Resident Permit. I do OC when I can but I mostly conceal. I am almost positive if I OC at that particular polling place the cops will be called and with my future career choices banking on me not getting arrested I would rather avoid it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the replies I do have a valid VA Resident Permit. I do OC when I can but I mostly conceal. I am almost positive if I OC at that particular polling place the cops will be called and with my future career choices banking on me not getting arrested I would rather avoid it.

Please note that your CHP is an approved alternate to a Voter ID card in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Snip: "his concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308,"
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+24.2-643

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am almost positive if I OC at that particular polling place the cops will be called and with my future career choices banking on me not getting arrested I would rather avoid it.

You just answered your own question!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

You just answered your own question!

Yep - At times we all are forced to chose between being practical and being tactical.

We too are familiar with the old saw: Wisdom is the better part of valor.
icon14.png

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No, I think you need the embarrassment of being seen in all your usual haunts OCing peter nap's pea shooter of a 9mm :p

Nine? Nein, nein, no not that. That would be....humiliating and I'd lose my stability in a breeze.

Mine could be a 9........if I add the two digits together and replace the mm with ACP.

I promise to try harder to be good. I'll even skip the sweet rolls (sob) at breakfast.
t2310.gif

scouser

Nine? Nein, nein, no not that. That would be....humiliating and I'd lose my stability in a breeze.

Mine could be a 9........if I add the two digits together and replace the mm with ACP.

I promise to try harder to be good. I'll even skip the sweet rolls (sob) at breakfast.
t2310.gif

If you need to regain some stability, carry a tactical banana on your left hip, then you'll be nicely balanced again

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you need to regain some stability, carry a tactical banana on your left hip, then you'll be nicely balanced again

I can see that I'm going to have to have a talk with Logan to find out better how to handle you. :lol: