• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The "Ban the Box" movement

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I would like to get you people to relize something. if the gun grabbers bills go through. there are 100's of things in it that will make a felon of you. including if you leave your house you will be charged with a felony, because you didn't transfer your guns to someone. if you leave your guns with someone, be it wife, daugther, son, uncle, cousin. with out legal transfer through a FFLD, then you will be a felon

think about it

Thank you for pointing out the upside to the whole situation. These new laws will force folks to become curmudgeonly hermits, living lives of blissful singleness. It will also eliminate child custody squabbles because children cannot be left in places where guns are. And there is already a solution in place to deal with that situation without creating an additional tax burden: http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Texts/modest.html .

I love little children - medium rare, with a baked potato and a fresh salad.:D

stay safe.

scouser

...I love little children - medium rare, with a baked potato and a fresh salad.:D

stay safe.

and you wondered why it worked so well when I said to Logan "sit still, don't move, behave OR I will make you sit next to skid" one time at breakfast ? :D

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Untrue

That is EXACTLY what a little check box does.

Sorry, but their actions/crimes prevent them from holding certain jobs, not the government.

Personal responsibility is something that victicrats never accept. It is always somebody elses fault.

The little box simply shows they are a convicted felon and further investigation is required. In some cases, that box makes them ineligible to hold certain jobs, none of which I would want a felon holding.

Nothing stops them from working in other areas of the government.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You're right in theory Scouser but we get hit with reality and the abuse of common sense laws again.

It is very, very easy to become a felon these days.

Just think of all the people you see in the summer walking around with dust masks on. Felony.
Posting a picture of a police officer with the intent to humiliate or harass is a felony.
Taking a picture of your infant in the tub...felony.

The answer to crime prevention by many of our legislators is to make everything a felony. Criminals don't care but are good at not getting caught. Normal people don't know and do get caught.

I've said this before. EVERYONE commits a felony at least once a week and there are a lot of convicted non violent felons around.

Last edited:

Glockster

Just think of all the people you see in the summer walking around with dust masks on. Felony.

+1

Great example of one of the dumber laws we have (I know, it's a long list!).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You're right in theory Scouser but we get hit with reality and the abuse of common sense laws again.

The answer to crime prevention by many of our legislators is to make everything a felony. Criminals don't care but are good at not getting caught. Normal people don't know and do get caught.

I've said this before. EVERYONE commits a felony at least once a week and there are a lot of convicted non violent felons around.

Not so fast, counselor! You'll scare the horses and stampede the women for no reason.

§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon (a) the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device, or (b) the declaration of a disaster or state of emergency by the Governor in response to a public health emergency where the emergency declaration expressly waives this section, defines the mask appropriate for the emergency, and provides for the duration of the waiver. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.
[emphasis added]

When I had The Creeping Crud and was hacking my lungs out I wore a mask when out in public for the physical safety of other persons. Maybe even for my own safety (did not want to get beat up for passing on The Creeping Crud).

Now, I wonder - is giving bad legal advice without benefit of paying guild dues a felony? No, just a misdemeanor.

§ 54.1-3904. Penalty for practicing without authority.

Any person who practices law without being authorized or licensed shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A collection agency may refer debts to an attorney for collection with the creditor's approval of the referral and the fee arrangement and shall not be deemed to be engaged in the unauthorized practice of law. An attorney is permitted by the creditor's authorization to enter into such representation agreements.

However, the AG several years ago stated, for the record, at a training session for DOC staff, that anybody could say what they thought the law meant, and even state that to another person, if they did not charge or accept anything of value in return, without violating ]§ 54.1-3904. Yes, it was memorialized in the training event records, with a copy to the AG so he could deny or modify that if he chose to do so. All he did was send a letter of thanks for the courtesy.

stay safe.

Repeater

"Wearing Masks" examples

I'm so glad you brought this up. I saw this earlier:

Man pleads guilty to wearing mask in theater
A 20-year-old man admitted Monday to wearing a clown mask into a Town Center theater, causing panic among patrons.

Jamar K. Washington Jr. pleaded guilty in Circuit Court to a felony charge of wearing a mask in public and is scheduled for sentencing June 18. The maximum punishment is five years in prison and a $2,500 fine - and a lifetime ban on the RKBA anywhere in America.

1047781.jpg

[size=+1]Felon[/size]

scouser

I'm so glad you brought this up. I saw this earlier:

Man pleads guilty to wearing mask in theater

1047781.jpg

[size=+1]Felon[/size]

Some of this just cries out "what the f*** was he thinking?"

Court records released Monday gave new details of the Oct. 8 incident, which occurred less than three months after a gunman opened fire in an Aurora, Colo., theater, killing a dozen people and injuring 58 more.

Moviegoers were watching "Looper" at the Regal Columbus theater on Constitution Drive at about 9:45 p.m. when two masked men walked inside and began "pacing back and forth looking at the audience," according to an investigative report provided by the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office

and one of his excuses sounds like bovine excrement

In an interview with police, Washington said they had bought the masks that day and had been wearing them at malls and on buses without any problems until people started to "freak out and panic" at the theater, according to a summary provided by the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office.

He said they were there to watch the movie and hadn't heard of the Aurora massacre, according to the summary.
he's an idiot, and probably leaving himself open to further charges (class 1 mis ??) for lying to the police about not knowing about Aurora.

In the aftermath of that tragedy he's probably lucky some mall ninja in the audience hadn't decided to ignore Regal's GFZ, had concealed a firearm and wanted to play hero by taking out what they figured to be a masked terrorist

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not so fast, counselor! You'll scare the horses and stampede the women for no reason.

[emphasis added]

When I had The Creeping Crud and was hacking my lungs out I wore a mask when out in public for the physical safety of other persons. Maybe even for my own safety (did not want to get beat up for passing on The Creeping Crud).

Now, I wonder - is giving bad legal advice without benefit of paying guild dues a felony? No, just a misdemeanor.

However, the AG several years ago stated, for the record, at a training session for DOC staff, that anybody could say what they thought the law meant, and even state that to another person, if they did not charge or accept anything of value in return, without violating ]§ 54.1-3904. Yes, it was memorialized in the training event records, with a copy to the AG so he could deny or modify that if he chose to do so. All he did was send a letter of thanks for the courtesy.

stay safe.

Except that unless you're sawing concrete in order to get that medical exemption:

(iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon (a) the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device, or (

Not a letter, note or even prescription...an affidavit ...on his person or he is in violation!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Except that unless you're sawing concrete in order to get that medical exemption:

Not a letter, note or even prescription...an affidavit ...on his person or he is in violation!

Note the use of the word "or". I claimed ii, and you bring up iv. Different clauses with different exception standards.

For the record, I do not think preventing the spread of The Creeping Crud by wearing a clown mask would fly under ii or iv.

stay safe.

sharkey

You would not be covered under ii depending on how a court chose to define "activities"

"activities and wearing protective"

"And" vs "or" is critical.

Note the use of the word "or". I claimed ii, and you bring up iv. Different clauses with different exception standards.

For the record, I do not think preventing the spread of The Creeping Crud by wearing a clown mask would fly under ii or iv.

stay safe.

Last edited: