• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can i legally open carry in TN with a VA chp?

thedevilrobyjohn

I was told by three leos in gatlinburg to cover my holstered weapon with my vest and to not open carry....my permit was for concealed and that is all that they honor....open was reserved for leo only......i didnt want to argue with two children and two disabled people with me so I complied....im still here for a few more days but i think their info is wrong as was their info about me being arrested on my way through the national forest where weapons are probibited....funny thing, they asked me to conceal my weapon without asking if i had a permit or asking to see it

thedevilrobyjohn

I was told by three leos in gatlinburg to cover my holstered weapon with my vest and to not open carry....my permit was for concealed and that is all that they honor....open was reserved for leo only......i didnt want to argue with two children and two disabled people with me so I complied....im still here for a few more days but i think their info is wrong as was their info about me being arrested on my way through the national forest where weapons are probibited....funny thing, they asked me to conceal my weapon without asking if i had a permit or asking to see it

ask 10 cops the same question and get 10 different answers.....any useful reply would be appreciated as quick as possible.....im on my way back up the mountain now. just curious if TN has a permit for open carry and a permit for concealed carry....two permits???

Last edited:

Beetlefarmer

Tn had one permit for both. Your choose.
Tn honors Va. Permit, so when in Rome.
AND you CAN CARRY in the Nat./State forest, just not the building. Restroom, visitors centers, ect.

The Gatlnburg PD needs a talking to!

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

appreciate the info

Tn had one permit for both. Your choose.
Tn honors Va. Permit, so when in Rome.
AND you CAN CARRY in the Nat./State forest, just not the building. Restroom, visitors centers, ect.

The Gatlnburg PD needs a talking to!

I open carried all day in and out of stores...alot of looks and whispers but no problems. I was asked by a man wearing an empty holster if I had a permit. He was from Ohio and had no permit. I informed him that wearing an empty holster served no purpose other than drawing un needed attention and signaling the police that there was a firearm somewhere and no license. I was asked several times what type of weapon it was( five seven with twenty amigos along for the ride). I was complimented on my western wear and my pro gun stickers on my van....got some great stckers here...they go well with my vcdl and nra stickers. I would have shot my damn van if I could have....brakes caught fire on the way down the mountain...literally fire...used fire exting and low gear down the rest of the mountain....guess transmission will be next now

Silvertongue

99% of your firearms-related interactions in Tennessee will be either neutral or positive.
That said, Tennessee does have a statute (or was it just an AG opinion?? Someone help Please) that says you must show your permit to an officer upon request.
I know it said permit and not identification, so if an officer asks for your I.D. hand them the permit.
Though, a comedic exchange may go
"Can I see your I.D.?"
Depends, can I see yours? Cop outfits go for $100 online. You could be Adam for all I know
Note: the above was satire and is NOT advice.

Fallguy

See my reply with links in your other post

Nascar24Glock

99% of your firearms-related interactions in Tennessee will be either neutral or positive.
That said, Tennessee does have a statute (or was it just an AG opinion?? Someone help Please) that says you must show your permit to an officer upon request.
I know it said permit and not identification, so if an officer asks for your I.D. hand them the permit.
Though, a comedic exchange may go
"Can I see your I.D.?"
Depends, can I see yours? Cop outfits go for $100 online. You could be Adam for all I know
Note: the above was satire and is NOT advice.

It's a statute.

T.C.A. 39-17-1351 (n)(1): "Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer."