• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man practicing open carry right prompts school lockdown

OC for ME

FIA, I agree with you that we do lose our cool. However this person has been doing this for 4 years according to reports and losing ones cool as he did does make cast him in a less than favorable light. It could be argued that all of the good people who OC in Michigan are ambassadors for good will towards gun owners. I try to keep that in mind when I OC.
While I do not support how he interacted with the cops I stand behind his right to carry the way he does and say what he said.
If I were hassled by cops, periodically for four years, and the cops now know me, I'd might lose my cool too. What part of "not breaking the law" do the cops not get. Just cuz a school calls about a gun does not mean that a stop is in order because of a call from a school. Call out the SHTF squad and be ready, but, do not stop the citizen if he is not breaking the law. Kids/school get to see a bunch of wannabe GI Joes and the citizen don't get handed a chance to lose his cool.

FreeInAZ

If I were hassled by cops, periodically for four years, and the cops now know me, I'd might lose my cool too. What part of "not breaking the law" do the cops not get. Just cuz a school calls about a gun does not mean that a stop is in order because of a call from a school. Call out the SHTF squad and be ready, but, do not stop the citizen if he is not breaking the law. Kids/school get to see a bunch of wannabe GI Joes and the citizen don't get handed a chance to lose his cool.

Quoted for truth!

:thumbsup:

One could even say (looking at the event in full context), the cops did what they always accuse the OCers of: they trolled him, and had some success at it. :(

WalkingWolf

Unless you live in the country like us it is darn near impossible to walk armed without passing through a GFSZ. IMO the whole purpose of the law was to create one large zone where only government agents could carry.