• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From the Outdoor Report: Bow hunter charged with carrying pistol illegally

67GT390FB

Aside from being considered unsportsmanlike by many, baiting tends to bring a lot of deer together. That is a prime way to spread things like CWD.

That said, it is legal to feed Deer between January and September.

Yes but with all the late archery seasons that run through march, the following needs to be said, though it may be legal to feed deer at certain times it is always illegal to shoot deer over feed/bait.

Mr H

ok, I'm not a hunter, so indulge me if you will.....

If your goal is to hunt an animal, kill an animal, and eat said animal, and you put out bait to attract that animal, wouldn't it be wise to whack the animal while its eating the bait?

Seems simple enough, Jim, and it's easily confused....

BUT...

"Baiting" isn't "hunting".

Virginiaplanter

General George Washington

Mount Vernon Augt 8th 1792

Sir,

On my return home I found your note of the 6th & Mr Whiting shewed me the letter you had written to him on the same subject the next day.

When the first came to this place I was from home, & when the second was presented to me I was too much engaged to write myself, but desired Mr Whiting to inform you of my objections as I should do as soon I had leisure.

I should feel no dis-inclination, Sir, to comply with your request could I be of opinion that any other than my domestic deer were to be found in the skirt of Wood you wish to drive—or that the probability of finding one of these did not greatly exceed that of rousing any other. I have about a dozen deer (some of which are of the common sort) which are no longer confined in the Paddock which was made for them, but range in all my woods, & often pass my exterior fence.

It is true I have scarcely a hope of preserving them long, although they come up almost every day, but I am unwilling by any act of my own to facilitate their destruction; for being as much affraid of Hounds (on which acct I parted with all mine) as the wild deer are—and no man living being able (as they have no collars on) to distinguish them whilst they are running from the wild deer, I might, & assuredly should have them killed by this means. For this reason as it can be no object since Mr Fairfax, I am informed, is unwilling to have his Woods at Belvoir hunted,I am desirous of preserving mine. I am—Sir Yr Most Obedt Servt

Go: Washington