• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislators that are interested in the Repeal of 941.23

J.Gleason

Banned
Again this morning, I have spoken personally with State Senator Frank Lasee. I have also left a follow up message for State Assembly Representative Al Ott.

Both of these individuals have told me that they are interested in supporting a Repeal of 941.23.
To quote Frank Lasee, " I believe Gunderson will come forward with his CCW Bill again as soon as Walker takes office. While a Repeal would give us virtually VT style of carry,This would fit my agenda. We may be stuck with Gunderson's Bill although I will support and try to gain more support for a repeal of 941.23. I will do my best."

Now it is up to everyone to keep on him and get the job done. We have a legislator who is willing. In fact both of them are willing. So get those calls made keep calling them so we can be sure they stay on top of it. Give them your opinions and lets make this happen.

I have tried to call the WCI hotline to pass this info on but no one answered my call.
None of them have responded to my posts on here either. It is up to us as individuals I guess.

Last edited:

xd40arff

From Senator Kedzie's Office

November 8, 2010

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie regarding a request for a repeal of Wis. Stats. 941.23, relating to carrying a concealed weapon.

We are quite certain some type of legislative effort regarding conceal and carry will be offered in some fashion for the coming 2011-12 legislative session. At this time, it is unclear how or when that may occur, as the immediate focus is the looming state budget deficit, economic recovery initiatives, and job creation. Those will be the major priorities for the new Legislature and Governor in 2011, but certainly, we believe other issues such as conceal and carry will be on the agenda at some point in time.

Again, thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie on this matter.

Sincerely,

Dan Johnson
Chief of Staff
State Senator Neal Kedzie
11th Senate District

Last edited:

comp45acp

November 8, 2010

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie regarding a request for a repeal of Wis. Stats. 941.23, relating to carrying a concealed weapon.

We are quite certain some type of legislative effort regarding conceal and carry will be offered in some fashion for the coming 2011-12 legislative session. At this time, it is unclear how or when that may occur, as the immediate focus is the looming state budget deficit, economic recovery initiatives, and job creation. Those will be the major priorities for the new Legislature and Governor in 2011, but certainly, we believe other issues such as conceal and carry will be on the agenda at some point in time.

Again, thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie on this matter.

Sincerely,

Dan Johnson
Chief of Staff
State Senator Neal Kedzie
11th Senate District

I got the same email response even though I sent him a snail mail letter. Disappointing, but not surprising. Doyle and the Democrats have left a big $hit sandwich for Walker and the Republicans in terms of deficit spending and loss of jobs. This is the thing most people in the state want action on and that is what the Republicans are going to address first. They will no doubt get around to "conceal and carry" as they like to say but it will not be at the top of the agenda list.

professor gun

So if 941.23 is repealed and nothing else is done, aren't we still stuck with prohibition of carry in vehicles and the gun free school zones? Am I missing something important here?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
So if 941.23 is repealed and nothing else is done, aren't we still stuck with prohibition of carry in vehicles and the gun free school zones? Am I missing something important here?

You're right, but I think the idea is to not confuse the subject until we get a list of legislators in line with repealing 941.23. There was a thread started by Gleason, I believe, in which the statutes in need of repeal were listed by various members.

J.Gleason

Banned
Again I have tried to pass this info on to WCI. I have apparently been placed on ignore.
I guess if they don't care then there is no further reason for my efforts.

lockman

State Researcher
You're right, but I think the idea is to not confuse the subject until we get a list of legislators in line with repealing 941.23. There was a thread started by Gleason, I believe, in which the statutes in need of repeal were listed by various members.

I thought that open carrying in a vehicle was prohibited because it was considered concealed? Is there a specific loaded gun in a vehicle prohibition not utilizing 941.23?

Jason in WI

The main goal should be to repeal 941.23. If we are successful our (people who carry a firearm) numbers will increase dramatically overnight. With so many people realizing the other restrictions it will only be a short time before they are dealt with. The only reason vehicle carry hasn't been challenged is because it really only effects us and the hunters. Given more time and with our movement growing we would have eventually challenged the vehicle law. Remember it wasn't long ago nobody carried for fear of getting a disorderly conduct charge, now we carry relatively hassle free.

In my opinion we need to repeal 941.23, grow our numbers with the concealed carry people and then we will have a powerful, unified voice to go after all the other restrictions more effectively.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
That is a good plan. Recruit at gun shows.

The main goal should be to repeal 941.23. If we are successful our (people who carry a firearm) numbers will increase dramatically overnight. With so many people realizing the other restrictions it will only be a short time before they are dealt with. The only reason vehicle carry hasn't been challenged is because it really only effects us and the hunters. Given more time and with our movement growing we would have eventually challenged the vehicle law. Remember it wasn't long ago nobody carried for fear of getting a disorderly conduct charge, now we carry relatively hassle free.

In my opinion we need to repeal 941.23, grow our numbers with the concealed carry people and then we will have a powerful, unified voice to go after all the other restrictions more effectively.

AZCDL did a lot of recruiting at gun shows, and kept an active email list to lobby legislatures. There are a lot of proto-activists out there who are willing to help, if given just a little encouragement and direction. They will help build the organization as well. Use the first ones to recruit more at more gun shows. The gun show operators will likely give you a table for free, when they see that they are helping protect our Constitutional rights, which includes their rights to operate gun shows.

paul@paul-fisher.com

+1

When 941.23 falls, the rest will.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I heard an interview with the new incoming Senate President and he stated that the 1st legislation they will consider is the Voter ID statute.

We need to call our Senator immediately (again).

We were told by Senator Kedzie that a repeal of 941.23 and ANY OTHER LEGISLATION NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO BUDGET DEFICIT AND JOBS were to be put on the back burner until those 2 priorities were dealt with. That is something I personally could of agreed with, however, if they are going to slide through other stuff, 941.23 is very important 'other stuff'.

I am going to Madison this afternoon for some other stuff and will stop in to see Nass and Kedzie if they are there.

Let's keep the pressure up. Someone at least needs to commit to getting the LRB started on writing the repeal so at least it's ready to go.

http://www.onewisconsinnow.org/pres...-1-how-many-jobs-does-poll-tax-id-create.html

professor gun

+1

When 941.23 falls, the rest will.

How do you know this? Are the citizens of Wisconsin really willing to continue with the ridiculous situation that whenever we carry and use a vehicle we must take off the gun, unload, case, then reverse the process every place we go? Also, if you carry in a GFSZ you are at legal risk? So if 941.23 is repealed what do we gain over what we have now (which is silly)? My concern is that this will deflect from the real issue that we need a viable concealed carry law in this State that includes changes in the GFSZ and vehicle carry. With the political climate now I think that the time is ripe to do this rather than just repeal 941.23 and hope that somehow, maybe later, someone gets around to dealing with the other restrictions that interfere with a legitimate right to carry.