• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAFETY WARNING! Check the wear on your holsters!!!

zack991

{NOT ZACK991 BELOW.)Editor-in-chief’s note: We’d like to thank the anonymous individual who came forward with this important information and allowed us to get it out to everyone here at ITS Tactical.

“What the hell was that?!?” she said. It took me a half a second to realize that my gun had just gone off…on my hip…in its holster. My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite café and got into the car.

Me being the passenger, I rotated my torso to the left to fasten my seatbelt like I always do. When I straightened again, my Glock 19 discharged, blowing a 9mm hole through my pants, underwear, the leather seat and bottom of the car’s door frame.

The bullet nicked my hip, but the wound is nothing a bandage couldn’t cover. So what went wrong? Guns never go “Bang” all by themselves.

After ensuring I wasn’t hemorrhaging profusely and didn’t have to make a dash for the hospital, I stayed seated in the car as my wife came around to my door and opened it. I undid my belt and slid the Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster, with the gun still in it, off my belt. Why it went off was immediately apparent.

5547242760_c73a55d78a_m.jpg

Leather-Holster-AD-Main.jpg

THE COMPLETE ARTICLE BELOW AND MORE PHOTOS AS WELL.
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That darn holster looks like it has been crammed empty into a drawer between his rolled up socks for quite a time. Normal wear, maybe, but long past the point that I would have already given it to the dog for a chew toy or made something else out of the pieces parts.

Buy quality equipment, take care of it and it will take good care of you.
Last but not least, know when to replace it.

This was not the fault of the holster - it was user poor judgment.

DevinWKuska

That guy is lucky the bullet only grazed him. If it was slightly more angled it could have shot into his femmoral artery and killed him in 15 minutes... wow....:eek:

Squeak

I can see why you'd have a problem. The holster is a piece of junk! Yup! It wasn't made properly in the first place. Guys, you go out and spend $5-6 hundred for a weapon, then buy a $25 holster! Go figger!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Don't be an idiot.

I'm not being an idiot, which I will apparently have to explain--in just a moment. In the meantime, try not to be an idiot yourself by not mouthing off at others until you understand.

What we have in the OP is an alarmist warning: "Check the Wear on Your Holsters!" And, then an excerpt of a story. That contains no explanation of how the holster got that way.

It looks to me as though the victim improperly seated his weapon--meaning into a holster with an obstruction. Got little to do with holster wear.

I asked for proposed solution because none that made sense was in sight. It seems to me that a better warning would be to be careful holstering striker-fired guns, and make sure the holster isn't obstructed. Or, more precisely, develop a safe method for holstering a striker-fired gun that takes into account that you cannot rest your thumb on the hammer to sense hammmer movement during holstering.

bushwacker

try trimming a cut out for the trigger if you are going to still ues it or soak the holster in water then oil the gun real well, remove the holster from water, place in gun and keep squeezing leather around gun to form the shape of gun till completly dry you mite even want to set it in the sunlight of a window or in a oven.

FTG-05

I'm not being an idiot, which I will apparently have to explain--in just a moment. In the meantime, try not to be an idiot yourself by not mouthing off at others until you understand.

What we have in the OP is an alarmist warning: "Check the Wear on Your Holsters!" And, then an excerpt of a story. That contains no explanation of how the holster got that way.

It looks to me as though the victim improperly seated his weapon--meaning into a holster with an obstruction. Got little to do with holster wear.

I asked for proposed solution because none that made sense was in sight. It seems to me that a better warning would be to be careful holstering striker-fired guns, and make sure the holster isn't obstructed. Or, more precisely, develop a safe method for holstering a striker-fired gun that takes into account that you cannot rest your thumb on the hammer to sense hammmer movement during holstering.

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the so-called victim who had an AD in the story.

He was an idiot for allowing the holster to get into that condition, especially with a Glock.

In any event, I wasn't referring to you or implying that you were an idiot. Sorry if it came across that way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the so-called victim who had an AD in the story.

He was an idiot for allowing the holster to get into that condition, especially with a Glock.

In any event, I wasn't referring to you or implying that you were an idiot. Sorry if it came across that way.

Not to worry FTG - after the sun goes down, Citizen's fangs protrude some. :uhoh:

Felt his "bite" once or twice myself. :lol:

Loneviking

I can see why you'd have a problem. The holster is a piece of junk! Yup! It wasn't made properly in the first place. Guys, you go out and spend $5-6 hundred for a weapon, then buy a $25 holster! Go figger!

Try checking your facts before you post! This was a Galco holster, not some offbrand. The holster retails for right at $70, so it isn't a cheap holster..

The fact is that guns can go off without a finger on the trigger, and all carry gear and weapons need to be checked reguarly.

Squeak

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Loneviking
Try checking your facts before you post! This was a Galco holster, not some offbrand. The holster retails for right at $70, so it isn't a cheap holster..
The fact is that guns can go off without a finger on the trigger, and all carry gear and weapons need to be checked reguarly.

Well, just pardon me! The fact still remains the same no matter who made the holster; it is junk. I could see the Galco stamp on it. I've been making holsters and saddles for over 50 years, so I know what I'm talking about. As for $70, someone got took.