• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canceled My Sam's Club Membership

decklin

So today I had yet another encounter with the management at the Auburn Sam's Club.
You can read about my previous encounter here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?121489-Auburn-Sam-s-Club-Police-Encounter

So I head in today and the greeter tells me, "Sir, just to let you know we don't allow firearms in here."
I tell him he needs to get the store manager.
A woman walks up and tells me she is the MOD.
I explained how I had canceled my membership at Costco and was assured that my Rights would be respected at Sam's Club. I told her about the incident in April and how Danny, the Store Manager, said I was fine.
She told me she would try to call Danny and find out what to do. After about 5 minutes she told me she couldn't reach Danny so she called a manager at another store. Apparently his name is Terry.
Woman, "Terry said that you have to carry concealed and you must have a permit. That's the law."
Me, "No. This is an open carry state and no permit is required. You only need a permit to conceal."
Now she's eyeing my firearm, "You mean you don't have a permit for that?" She sounds concerned.:banghead:
Me, "Listen to what I'm saying. You don't need a permit to open carry. I never said I don't have a permit."

At this point she tells me I'm fine today but she'll just have to see what Danny says when he calls back.
I head inside and collect the items I need, pay, and head for the door. On the way past the service desk I ask her if Danny had called back and she tells me no.
Just as I'm about to leave the parking lot the receipt checker comes out to my truck to let me know that Danny just called.
So I head back in.

The woman tells me that Danny says no firearms are allowed in the store at all.
I immediately told her to cancel my membership and I returned everything I bought today. I made sure to get back my dues for the year as well. I told her I expect to get all my dues from the last 4 years back too.
She said I needed to talk to Danny about that. I told her I wanted to cancel my credit card as well. She said I'd have to call mastercard for that.

At this point I went to Fred Meyer and got my groceries.
Upon arriving at home I called Sam's Club corporate and spoke with a woman named Laquelle.
I explained what happened and said I expect to get all my membership dues back and all my money spent at Sam's Club and it's gas station since April 18th. (the date of the previous encounter.)
She was very polite and sympathetic. She verified that the company policy had actually been updated in July and specifically says stores will NOT prohibit the open or concealed carry of legally carried handguns.

Laquelle was very polite and sympathetic. She took detailed notes and asked several questions. She said she would be calling the club directly to find out Danny's last name and phone number. She also said she would find out which store Terry works for. She collected my contact info and let me know that once she got the necessary info she would file the report with corporate so we could get the situation resolved. She said managers are not allowed to ignore policy and cannot interpret the law. She also said this sounds like the manager may have a personal vendetta against firearms.

So that's everything so far. I will post updates as I get them.

FTG-05

Running into an ignorant manager /=/ canceling a membership, IMO.

Get it straightened out with corporate and then go right back in and shove corp policy in their face (nicely of course).

Sams Club >>>> antigun Costco.

decklin

Get it straightened out with corporate and then go right back in and shove corp policy in their face (nicely of course).

That's the plan. Since I am currently injured perhaps I'll have Danny push my cart for me.:lol:

XD40sc

Absolutely, you go over his/her head and raise hell.

Sam's follows state laws here, and if I run into a mental midget that happens to work there, I won't cancel for the simple reason I save many hundreds of dollars buying my stuff there, dollars I can spend on guns and ammo. But I will be sure and get the mental midgets name and address the issue with their boss(s).

I have had service issues with some employee's at Sam's, and handled by going over their head. If an employee goes out of their way to help me with something, I also let management know about that also.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Just a quick one. Why cancel membership before the complaint to corporate has been resolved? Seems to be the manager falsely claimed a policy that was not so and therefore needs to be educated on company policy and retrained. He may well have been ignorant of policy and after a chat with higher authorities could well decide to behave or risk losing his job

decklin

Just a quick one. Why cancel membership before the complaint to corporate has been resolved? Seems to be the manager falsely claimed a policy that was not so and therefore needs to be educated on company policy and retrained. He may well have been ignorant of policy and after a chat with higher authorities could well decide to behave or risk losing his job

That is why I canceled my membership. I felt that by canceling I would show this is a serious matter. They told me on the phone that when it gets resolved they hope I will reinstate my membership.
I felt words combined with action would be in my best interest.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I would do this

That's the plan. Since I am currently injured perhaps I'll have Danny push my cart for me.:lol:

I knew I liked your attitude

That is why I canceled my membership. I felt that by canceling I would show this is a serious matter. They told me on the phone that when it gets resolved they hope I will reinstate my membership.
I felt words combined with action would be in my best interest.

Truth!

deanf

That's fine, as long as you remember that right there, on the spot, the manager still has the authority to make, break, create, and change the rules, internal corporate policy notwithstanding. If they want you to leave because you're carrying a gun, you'd better. The police and the criminal court will not care about corporate policy or who has the internal corporate authority to do what.

Maverick9

Come on guys, let's not act like the immature anti-firearms people, all cranky and vindictive. We are above that.

It's unreasonable to make demands about getting all your money back. You should be ashamed of having that kind of an attitude. Yes, the person was wrong and you did correctly calling corporate.

We are the mature and reasonable ones; we do not sink to their level.

Difdi

That's fine, as long as you remember that right there, on the spot, the manager still has the authority to make, break, create, and change the rules, internal corporate policy notwithstanding. If they want you to leave because you're carrying a gun, you'd better. The police and the criminal court will not care about corporate policy or who has the internal corporate authority to do what.[/COLOR]

By that standard a customer could order another customer out of a store and have the police enforce it.

decklin

Unreasonable.[/COLOR]

I don't believe so. The store manager assured me he would follow corporate policy. The only reason I spent that money was because of that day. It seems to me he's been training his people to not allow firearms since on three separate occasions his employees have told me I can't carry in there. That doesn't include the cops back in April.
The other occasions are documented somewhere in the south sound oc report.

deanf

It seems to me he's been training his people to not allow firearms since on three separate occasions his employees have told me I can't carry in there.

And the story slowly unfolds . . .

So you've been told previously you can't carry there, yet you continued to? Unethical.

So if you can't get all your money back, are you going to sue?

decklin

And the story slowly unfolds . . .

So you've been told previously you can't carry there, yet you continued to? Unethical.

So if you can't get all your money back, are you going to sue?[/COLOR]

Alright, dude. I don't know if you're being intentionally dense or what. Each time this happened I instructed the employee to get the manager. Each time I spoke with one if their many MOD's. The mod then verified the company policy and informed the employee.
But you're right. Because of a rogue employee I'm being unethical in expecting a company to follow their own policy. Must be nice to be so flexible.