• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed father refuses to be a victim

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Armed father fights back against driveway robbers

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A local family was terrorized, ambushed outside their own home and held at gunpoint. They had just pulled into their driveway on Glenfield near Durango Falls in northwest Harris County Monday night when the suspects threatened the family, and the husband fought back.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7877690

zack991

I am glad he and his family are ok, if he was open carrying i am sure the bad guys would not have followed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am glad he and his family are ok, if he was open carrying i am sure the bad guys would not have followed.

That is the point that many in Texas fail to understand - it is the peak of passive self-defense.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Everybody in Texas should know that there is a chance that an adult is CCing. Just as everybody should know that the mere presence of a firearm, CCd or OC'd, will have little actual impact on the decision of a bad person to do bad things. It is the combination of many factors (the probable/actual presence of a firearm, the demeanor of being a "non-victim", the determination to prevent family/loved ones from being made into victims) in the face of one other factor (the determination to commit a crime regardless of the odds) that resulted in the outcome we read of rather than another story of a family robbed and possible injured/killed.

I'm just trying to remind folks that there is no magic aura that comes off your gun that will, all by itself, protect you from harm.

Fortunately in this case another bad person made a poor selection of their intended victim.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
That is the point that many in Texas fail to understand - it is the peak of passive self-defense.

Absolutely! When deterrence works, it means the only additional things I need to do is to carry it home while remaining vigilent at all times.

Unfortunately, OC'd deterrence only works if they seen your OC'd firearm.

I'm just trying to remind folks that there is no magic aura that comes off your gun that will, all by itself, protect you from harm.

You are correct. The thing most people will see first is whether or not you're alert and aware of your surroundings. I think that's something BG's see more often, particularly from a distance.[/quote]

Claytron

but at the same time maybe the thugs would have noticed the gun and instead of committing a robbery, maybe they would have just murdered him out right

if the guy had just bought 2 laptops, 2 ipads and 2 iphones or something, who knows if that would or wouldnt be enough for them to take the risk of being caught for murder... a gun showing could just be another attractive item for them to steal.

then again if they followed them from the store they might just decide to pick another target after seeing a gun

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
but at the same time maybe the thugs would have noticed the gun and instead of committing a robbery, maybe they would have just murdered him out right

if the guy had just bought 2 laptops, 2 ipads and 2 iphones or something, who knows if that would or wouldnt be enough for them to take the risk of being caught for murder... a gun showing could just be another attractive item for them to steal.

then again if they followed them from the store they might just decide to pick another target after seeing a gun

Yes indeed. Could have, might have, maybe would have. Understand that someone will likely preemptively take out an OCer someday, but until that happens let's stop suggesting that carrying a handgun openly is such a dangerous practice. What are the odds -1 out of 1,000,000,000? You have a better chance of winning the lottery....twice.

KansasMustang

I'd much rather have the story read "Man shoots two robbery perpetrators protecting his family, yet succumbs to his wounds" Then "Victims of murder-robbery found on lawn" Give me a break! read my quote

Last edited:

Dreamer

Please cite a single verifiable incident where this has ever happened.

If you can't, then stop spreading the myth that OC makes someone a target...

Last edited:

zack991

Fortunately in this case another bad person made a poor selection of their intended victim.

stay safe.
To say it does not make a bag guy take a moment of pause in attacking a person who is open carrying is foolish. Now there are stupid criminals willing to take that risk and in many cases they loose their life. Conceal carry does not work this way, its a thought in a criminals mind HOPING they are not armed. Open carrying makes it known and criminals hate hard targets.

Criminals in most cases will NOT attack a known armed person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j_YTM_eAWnQ#t=154s

Last edited:

Claytron

Please cite a single verifiable incident where this has ever happened.

If you can't, then stop spreading the myth that OC makes someone a target...

Please cite a single verifiable incident where I ever claimed it did happen.

Please stop spreading the myth that open carrying a firearm makes you a super hero.

In my opinion its most sensible that if a criminal sees a firearm and hasnt already initiated their attack that they will avoid contact for fear of being shot. This seems like common sense to me. But it seems just plain naive to think that nobody has, or ever will be, robbed of their gun and/or targeted because OF the gun.

Their has been atleast of story where the man who was robbed said he believed he was targeted for his gun. Also keep in mind that many crimes go unreported.

Since when is having a differing opinion or contemplating hypothetical situations "spreading myths"?

Claytron

I'd much rather have the story read "Man shoots two robbery perpetrators protecting his family, yet succumbs to his wounds" Then "Victims of murder-robbery found on lawn" Give me a break! read my quote

i guess that separates us because id rather the story read "Man shops safely and returns home with his family in time for Conan O'Brian". boring but atleast nobody got killed or put in harms way right?

What does your quote have to do with pondering a situation where a robber wants to steal your gun? How am i suddenyl anti gun just for offering up a scenori for people to mull over? Its like you guys get angry thinking there could possibly be anyone who didnt agree with you 100% and had the nerve to use your forum...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please cite a single verifiable incident where I ever claimed it did happen.

Please stop spreading the myth that open carrying a firearm makes you a super hero.

In my opinion its most sensible that if a criminal sees a firearm and hasnt already initiated their attack that they will avoid contact for fear of being shot. This seems like common sense to me. But it seems just plain naive to think that nobody has, or ever will be, robbed of their gun and/or targeted because OF the gun.

Their has been atleast of story where the man who was robbed said he believed he was targeted for his gun. Also keep in mind that many crimes go unreported.

Since when is having a differing opinion or contemplating hypothetical situations "spreading myths"?

Suggest you sit down a spell and let's chat. Even being a fairly new poster here you are entitled to an "opinion" but few will support unsubstantiated "feelings" or suggesting that well based responses are "naive" just because you think/feel it is so.

Spreading "myths" is when the facts are contrary to your "opinion" and when NOT substantiated by data. We deal in facts here. We expect cites. You might think that we should tolerate rants contrarily formed - we do not. The 1st one taken out theory or it'll just get taken from you warning if not myths ARE old wives tales.

With that in mind, I offer you this specific homework assignment: Find us one (1) documented cite, where a legal OCer was ever preemptively taken out, had his gun taken as the primary target in a robbery or snatched anywhere in modern times in these United States - LEOs, security and military excepted.

Your one referenced incident has some serious problems/questions regarding the circumstances, so you'll excuse me if I ask for one (1) other. Will this possibly happen some day? Without a doubt, but the resultant numbers will reflect a ratio/decimal equivalent somewhat like .000001%. How much change would you expect in those numbers if there were 5 or 6 such incidents?

With all of that said, I welcome you to OCDO, but you cannot jump in with both feet contrary to what the great multitude here has found to be will documented, sound principle and proceed to tell us where and why we are wrong without being the direct recipient of some frustration. Take a deep breath, join in, but do listen a lot and learn.
'Nuff said?

AFPVet

Criminals like soft targets. If people carry openly, it makes them 'hard' targets. While sociopaths will carryout their rampaging no matter what, an armed citizen(s) will at least be able to prevent further casualties.

Claytron

Suggest you sit down a spell and let's chat. Even being a fairly new poster here you are entitled to an "opinion" but few will support unsubstantiated "feelings" or suggesting that well based responses are "naive" just because you think/feel it is so.

Spreading "myths" is when the facts are contrary to your "opinion" and when NOT substantiated by data. We deal in facts here. We expect cites. You might think that we should tolerate rants contrarily formed - we do not. The 1st one taken out theory or it'll just get taken from you warning if not myths ARE old wives tales.

With that in mind, I offer you this specific homework assignment: Find us one (1) documented cite, where a legal OCer was ever preemptively taken out, had his gun taken as the primary target in a robbery or snatched anywhere in modern times in these United States - LEOs, security and military excepted.

Your one referenced incident has some serious problems/questions regarding the circumstances, so you'll excuse me if I ask for one (1) other. Will this possibly happen some day? Without a doubt, but the resultant numbers will reflect a ratio/decimal equivalent somewhat like .000001%. How much change would you expect in those numbers if there were 5 or 6 such incidents?

With all of that said, I welcome you to OCDO, but you cannot jump in with both feet contrary to what the great multitude here has found to be will documented, sound principle and proceed to tell us where and why we are wrong without being the direct recipient of some frustration. Take a deep breath, join in, but do listen a lot and learn.
'Nuff said?

I understand how people like you get offended even though none is intended. you are too involved with this forum and take it to heart much too easily. You say that you like cites.... im not sure how im supposed to provide a cite for my own thoughts and ponderings on a subject? You are trying to tell me that its rude to share your thoughts about a subject unless you have a fact to support that thought? Im not sure if you just didnt read the comment in question or what, but i did not claim OCing makes people targets. I offered a hypothetical frame of mind that a criminal could have.... i dont see how i can "cite" that.

You claim i am telling you "where and why" you are wrong and i just think thats incorrect, i read my comments again and i dont see where i said anyone was wrong. I offered up a hypothetical situation for people to think about, how can it hurt to THINK about something??

and also less important but your comment about the story i referenced having some "problems/issues" didnt really tell me much man... what issues? what problems? Again sorry if it offends you but i dont think only listening to one set of opinions helps anyone, if you dont get your fair share of differing opinions and opurtunities to question and think for yourself then you can be easily brainwashed. I always like to know as much as possible from ALL points of view.

I feel strongly for a persons right to carry openly and concealed and i wouldnt feel right about my opinions if i didnt question them as much as possible so that i can then DEBUNK those concerns and issues so that i can feel secure in my decisions.

Another thing i dont understand is the hostility. I dont recall being a wise ass or being rude (intentionally) during a serious discussion but you come at me with things like "lets sit down a spell and have a chat shall we" and "Nuff said." As if you are scolding me in front of the rest of the classmates or something.

Will i get over it? already done. do i still think it was a little unnessecary? Yeah honestly i do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Another thing i dont understand is the hostility. I dont recall being a wise ass or being rude (intentionally) during a serious discussion but you come at me with things like "lets sit down a spell and have a chat shall we" and "Nuff said." As if you are scolding me in front of the rest of the classmates or something.

Will i get over it? already done. do i still think it was a little unnessecary? Yeah honestly i do.

No hostility, only a genuine attempt to have a straight talk. ymmv

KansasMustang

i guess that separates us because id rather the story read "Man shops safely and returns home with his family in time for Conan O'Brian". boring but atleast nobody got killed or put in harms way right?

What does your quote have to do with pondering a situation where a robber wants to steal your gun? How am i suddenyl anti gun just for offering up a scenori for people to mull over? Its like you guys get angry thinking there could possibly be anyone who didnt agree with you 100% and had the nerve to use your forum...

Methinks you are on the wrong forum. I think you need to find one that reads "Mamby Pamby land" and go there. You're living in a dream world sonny and us sheepdogs are the only ones you can rely on to protect you. If he was headed home to watch Conan Obrien he's of the same ilk. I'd much prefer it read "Man OC'ing stopped crime by the mere presence of his weapon in open view" I'd much rather be a hard target then walk around bleating "Baaa" all day.

Last edited:

Claytron

Methinks you are on the wrong forum. I think you need to find one that reads "Mamby Pamby land" and go there. You're living in a dream world sonny and us sheepdogs are the only ones you can rely on to protect you. If he was headed home to watch Conan Obrien he's of the same ilk. I'd much prefer it read "Man OC'ing stopped crime by the mere presence of his weapon in open view" I'd much rather be a hard target then walk around bleating "Baaa" all day.

Sheepdog? Really? You are such a **** ****** ****** its not even worth continuing this discussion. You arent even interested in an intelligent argument, your comments are "you dont belong here" and "Im on the bandwagon" in essence.

You make this forum look bad.

............--Moderator Edited --
Deleted personal attack - let that be a warning.

KansasMustang

Sheepdog? Really? You are such a **** ****** ****** its not even worth continuing this discussion. You arent even interested in an intelligent argument, your comments are "you dont belong here" and "Im on the bandwagon" in essence.

You make this forum look bad.

............--Moderator Edited --
Deleted personal attack - let that be a warning.

Well it's just my opinion that you really have no interest in your own self protection and advancing the cause of "Open Carry" nor the 2nd amendment. So yes I really think that this forum is not right for you. You need to find the Kumbaya forum and the let's all sit in a circle, join hand and pass the pipe forum. Wish I'd have seen the personal attack before the Moderator deleted it. I love it when I piss progressives off.