• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dash Cameras or Vehicle Black Box

Vandil

Does anyone else have a Dash Camera or Black Box in their vehicle? Purchased one a few months ago. Wide angle 720p 2hrs of video\audio record time, records 24/7 or when the vehicle DC ports are powered, loops over oldest videos when the SD card fills, GPS tagging.

I have one because of way to many close calls with other drivers but it also works perfectly for recording traffic stops. No digging around trying to push record on a cell phone.

Pyro01

I can't say I have either, but I got some new batteries for a really old voice recorder I bought years ago, which hold about 30 minutes of audio. I'm only going to use it as my backup source for recording audio, just in case I don't have my iPhone out and ready to go.

Pyro01

That's an amazing little system for 300 bucks, I don't know if you're going to be able to beat that. I'd pay for one of those at that price.

protias

That's an amazing little system for 300 bucks, I don't know if you're going to be able to beat that. I'd pay for one of those at that price.
I've seen that model from 250-300. I'm just saving for a new car at the moment and when I get close, I'll order it, along with a couple other cameras to record my driving. Gotta love 1080p recording! :D

SIGdude

The black box in newer cars is true. Dad worked for Ford nearly 40 years. Remember when there was that huge pileup a few years ago on I-90 because of fog, something like a 70 car stack? They ran diagnostic on the black boxes in the cars that had them, pretty creepy stuff, like decelerating from 72mph to a dead stop in under a second. Think about that.

Vandil

The vehicle computer system can record certain data for a short period of time. (30sec or so) that doesn't include video or audio of the situation as it happens. It will tattle on your speed, how far the gas peddle was pressed, brake pressure, rpm, fuel ratio, G force, all sorts of data. Anything you can read using a digital programmer tied to a laptop really.

LR Yote 312

That technology has been used in the big rigs for years.

I knew which drivers were haulin a+s...
and which drivers weren't....as
well as who obeyed the speed limits and who didnt...

Avg cruise speed...time spent in what gear,idle time
fuel consumption rates and the number of panic stops.

I could download a 3 page report on the driving habits
of any driver....any truck.
Right down to who double clutches...and who "slides 'em"

Big Brother IS watching....And has been for too long.

LR Yote

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
The Only Black Box Under My Seat Is For....

I heard once that all new cars these days have a black box under the seat.

storing my firearm. :)

As for camera VS the black box I currently have a GoPro Camera mounted on my dash which records for 8.5 hours using a 32 Gig SD card. I've been using it for quite a few months now and on the lowest resolution it is simply amazing. I used it a few weeks ago to record flying (in a private plane).

Now that Protias has posted the black box link I will definitely get one of those! Thanks Protias!

protias

storing my firearm. :)

As for camera VS the black box I currently have a GoPro Camera mounted on my dash which records for 8.5 hours using a 32 Gig SD card. I've been using it for quite a few months now and on the lowest resolution it is simply amazing. I used it a few weeks ago to record flying (in a private plane).

Now that Protias has posted the black box link I will definitely get one of those! Thanks Protias!

I've been searching for something like that for a year now and since this thread was created, I'd thought I'd share my find with everyone else.

The GoPro HD really in a nice camera. That would be another one to go with.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I thought it was illegal in Wisconsin to mount anything on windshield. If so, where would you mount the camera?

protias

I thought it was illegal in Wisconsin to mount anything on windshield. If so, where would you mount the camera?
Not that I'm aware of. I know MN and CA it is illegal to have anything on your windshield.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
data recording has been very common in GM since around 1994, allegedly insurance companies are required to get subpoenas to access the information.

All running parameters, speed, seatbelt use, everything is recorded for diagnostics and crash sensor data.
It is both good and bad IMO. Pretty soon when some liberal douche tries to outlaw smoking in our own vehicles, I bet we see smoke detectors linked to satellites to get us arrested.

Look at how NJ issues speeding tickets on the turnpike, you get times between toll booths and if you averaged over the limit, you get nicked. Look at AZ with their speed cameras!

Then look at the UK with all their recording, and in MKE with their billion dollar shot finder that will be nothing but problems and abandoned like the other cities that tried it,.