• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio passes restaurant carry, also cleans up vehicle carry

detroit_fan

I know a lot of us frequent ohio, so I thought this may be of interest.

Snip-

Today, Governor John Kasich signed both Senate Bill 17 and House Bill 54 into law. SB 17 is important concealed carry reform legislation and HB 54 will provide individuals a pathway to restore their firearm rights.

Senate Bill 17, sponsored by state Senator Tim Schaffer (R-31), eliminates the current confusing standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. In addition, this bill also allows permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided the individual is not consuming alcohol, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6964

detroit_fan

Careful! It may not be in effect yet!!!!!!!

Correct!

Snip-

It is vital that you walk away with this understanding: If the bill is filed with the Secretary of States office today (June 30th), I expect it to "go into effect" on Thursday, September 29th. If the bill isn't considered filed until Friday (July 1st), I do not expect the bill to "go into effect" until Friday, September 30th -- what this basically means is DO NOT start carrying a firearm in your vehicle or a restaurant as if these new regulations exist, because "legal day one" is not until this fall.

Source-

http://www.ohioccw.org/201106304941/sb17-hb54-signing-ceremony.html

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
What exactly did they pass on these two issues. I'm seeing allot of print but nothing really spells anything out.

Restaurant carry with alcohol served on the premises was added obviously as long as the person refrains from consuming alcohol.
Basically the loaded handgun can be anywhere in the car now, not just in your holster or in a locked case.

It has not removed the wording that prohibits carrying any loaded magazine in a vehicle even separate from the firearm then they defined that as a loaded firearm. This hurt folks traveling to and from target ranges with rifles significantly because their long guns weren't protected under their Concealed handgun licenses.

Onnie

Law wont go into effect until at least October 1st

Ohio law says non emergency legislation takes effect no sooner than 90 days after signed to law

Last edited:

Rasher

Restaurant carry with alcohol served on the premises was added obviously as long as the person refrains from consuming alcohol.
Basically the loaded handgun can be anywhere in the car now, not just in your holster or in a locked case.

It has not removed the wording that prohibits carrying any loaded magazine in a vehicle even separate from the firearm then they defined that as a loaded firearm. This hurt folks traveling to and from target ranges with rifles significantly because their long guns weren't protected under their Concealed handgun licenses.

Ok just exactly HOW can we have a gun in OH now(with a cpl while driving) I have family in Cinci. and go there on occasion. I have read their(skimmed) laws in the past, thats a area that I always thought kinda grey-like they wanted it that way so they could jam somebody up if the person got alittle loud.

Last edited: