• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eating Out

CDT COX

Last Saturday I went out and the waitress came to our table 5 times(drink order, food order, food, check, check back). There were three of us, she got a 32 cent tip.

sidestreet

Yep, that's sort of what this was...,

The only time I have seen a restaurant that added gratuities to a check, it was on large parties, usually 8 or more.

If I ever went to a restaurant that as a policy added gratuities to checks, I would, as soon as I found out, leave, never return and tell everyone I know to not eat/dine/whatever at that place of business.

A gratuity is an acknowledgement of good service. Not a fee to be arbitrarily charged. :mad:

It was at our last OC dinner in the Richmond area. We were a large party, but we had separate checks. I paid for me, my son and daughter, and had a carry out for my wife who couldn't make the dinner. Gratuity added, so that's what they got. and on a side note, they forgot to put my wife's salad in the bag. Wasn't going to make another hour and 40 minute round trip for a salad. Didn't call either because I had already been up for 26 hours which included a 8+ hours at work, a round trip to Surry County, and an intense court trial for Skidmark, so after all that, I just didn't think anything I was going to say was going to be socially acceptable, but I don't think I'll be going back there.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Contrarian

tip amount

Last Saturday I went out and the waitress came to our table 5 times(drink order, food order, food, check, check back). There were three of us, she got a 32 cent tip.

Must be not enough coffee yet today - you had two check-backs during a meal plus the food and drink deliveries and you left 32 cents? Might that be 32 percent?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Must be not enough coffee yet today - you had two check-backs during a meal plus the food and drink deliveries and you left 32 cents? Might that be 32 percent?

I think when he said "check" he was referring to the bill and then she brought the bill back (reciept) after he gave her the money to ring it up. You know the old saying, "Check, please."

Last edited:

Jack House

I think when he said "check" he was referring to the bill and then she brought the bill back (reciept) after he gave her the money to ring it up. You know the old saying, "Check, please."
That's how I read it.

I like the whole one cent tip idea. I think I'll use it in the future. :D

CDT COX

correct