• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If a sign says....

GlockRDH

If a sign states , " No weapons on premises"....is that different than one that says 'No weapons ALLOWED on premises'.... i see a definate grammatical difference...one of which is posted locally...give me your thoughts and Ill post a pic of what local building has this posted.

oliverclotheshoff

if you want to play the grammar technicallity game here is another

prem·ise (prms)
n. also prem·iss (prms)
1. A proposition upon which an argument is based or from which a conclusion is drawn.
2. Logic
a. One of the propositions in a deductive argument.
b. Either the major or the minor proposition of a syllogism, from which the conclusion is drawn.
3. premises Law The preliminary or explanatory statements or facts of a document, as in a deed.
4. premises
a. Land and the buildings on it.
b. A building or part of a building.
v. prem·ised, prem·is·ing, prem·is·es

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The first one seems to be informing you that there are no weapons currently on the premises. :D The second one seems to prohibit weapons from being on the premises. Honestly though, I think the average person would interpret either one to mean no weapons.

Last edited:

protias

The first one seems to be informing you that there are no weapons currently on the premises. :D The second one seems to prohibit weapons from being on the premises. Honestly though, I think the average person would interpret either one to mean no weapons.

What kind of average person? :lol:

Baked on Grease

Nay, I read it just as you do but see it as literal. Just like "No cash on premises", does this mean you can't use cash there an a only plastic is allowed? I am being... somwhat... facetious but I would take it literal if I a no weapons sign posted as such.

Sent using tapatalk

HandyHamlet

What kind of average person? :lol:

Boy howdy.

The first one is obviously telling people there "are no weapons here". No Tanks, no nukes, no fruit cake, no hammers, etc. You must go somewhere else to purchase these items.

The second is saying "COME ON IN! THE PICKIN'S ARE FINE!".

Last edited:

protias

Boy howdy.

The first one is obviously telling people there "are no weapons here". No Tanks, no nukes, no fruit cake, no hammers, etc. You must go somewhere else to purchase these items.

The second is saying "COME ON IN! THE PICKIN'S ARE FINE!".

No hands or feet either? I've read many of times where people are beaten with nothing more than fists and kicks.

M

McX

i was thinking of a sign for the shop; long haired freaky people need not apply.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
If a sign states , " No weapons on premises"....is that different than one that says 'No weapons ALLOWED on premises'.... i see a definate grammatical difference...one of which is posted locally...give me your thoughts and Ill post a pic of what local building has this posted.

What's your understanding of the signs that say "No shirt, no shoes, no service"?

LaBomba

These signs are not that big a deal, really. I can't tell you how many places I've gotten out of that were posted NO EXIT.

GlockRDH

What's your understanding of the signs that say "No shirt, no shoes, no service"?

with all respect, my 'understanding' isnt whats totally the issue... Its what is meant by the words THEY chose to post... Its not my job to have to figure out or deduce 'what is meant' when improper words are chosen. As for 'no shoes, no shirt, no service' that entire expression has a meaningin our culture...not easily confused with much else...the 'If you have- then youll get ' really isnt needed in that sentence because thats an 'understood' where as, 'allowed' carries all hte meaning on the sign (or if its NOT on the sign)

Badger Johnson

It's surprising how vague some of these signs can be.

You'd think it would be something like
=========
Prohibition: (blah-blah)
By order of: (blah-blah)
Contact info: (blah-blah)

Cite: (code, para, line)
Cite: (preemption preemption)

Legal contact: Counselors at Law: Dewey, Cheatum and Howe Esq.
=========

To give it some force of law or something. Otherwise, it's just a sign and legally vague. Most require a standard format of some kind, I think.