• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you CC without a permit in WI??

gunguy2009

The word "Busy" is an understatement this last couple months. I haven't had the time for much lately. I attend College full time, being a father full time, and working... Good thing is I graduate in May!! lol. Ok, too the point...

I tried to find an answer from the DOJ site and everywhere else, but cant seem to find what I'm searching for...

A definitive answer whether it is Legal to CC WITHOUT a permit?? The last I heard that was the deal, but with certain limitations. Less restrictions were granted to people who obtained the permit.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wisconsin Statutes 941.23(2) Any person, other than one of the following, who carries a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor: ... weasel words follow.

Outdoorsman1

The word "Busy" is an understatement this last couple months. I haven't had the time for much lately. I attend College full time, being a father full time, and working... Good thing is I graduate in May!! lol. Ok, too the point...

I tried to find an answer from the DOJ site and everywhere else, but cant seem to find what I'm searching for...

A definitive answer whether it is Legal to CC WITHOUT a permit?? The last I heard that was the deal, but with certain limitations. Less restrictions were granted to people who obtained the permit.

If you are a Wisconsin resident you must have a WI. CCW License to carry concealed. The "Less Restictions" deal with "Open Carry" without a permit and even more less restictions for those that choose to open carry with a CCW License.

Outdoorsman1

Yetiman

Only on property you own or lease, or on private property with the owners or leasee's (sp) permission.

Captain Nemo

From ss941.23:
(2) Any person, other than one of the following, who carries
a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:
(e) An individual who carries a concealed and dangerous
weapon, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (j), in his or her own dwelling
or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or
legally occupies.

Not sure what legally occupies means. Question; If someone gives you permission to be on their property does that mean you are a legal occupant?

emphasis = mine.

Last edited:

Yetiman

I am a legal occupant of my girlfriends home and my brothers cottage even though I don't own or lease them.

I would also be a legal occupant of a place of business where I work.

E6chevron

From ss941.23:
(2) Any person, other than one of the following, who carries
a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:
(e) An individual who carries a concealed and dangerous
weapon, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (j), in his or her own dwelling
or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or
legally occupies.

That cite is correct. This exception to needing a CCL license when carrying concealed, is NOT clearly/correctly described in the DOJ FAQ (page - 26 -). It gives the impression that it is merely unnecessary to carry your license document in the circumstance described by paragraph 941.23(2)(e). That is true, but only because you do not NEED a CCL to concealed carry in that situation.