• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids mayor flaunts violation of state law

Raggs

Mayor Heartwell made it very clear how uncomfortable he is around guns, and alluded to the fact they might change his vote on something. He also made it crystal clear he was not going to change the local ordinance. I don't know that suing him would work because whoever sued him would likely not get any monetary return.

Me too! These Richard Crainiums will have to be sued into submission it looks like.:(

MikeTheGreek

If I would have known about this, I would have gone. ****.

So he admits that they're violating state laws, but then pretty much says he doesn't care.

& The City Councillor wants to discuss where it's appropriate to carry?

Sorry. I didn't see in the constitution where it says "You have the right to bear arms...where others think its appropriate".

I must have missed that part.

Also, by the comments on this report, It looks like this was filmed during the meeting, and posted after, so none of us could attend.

What great work by this news station...

FreeInAZ

Mayor Heartwell made it very clear how uncomfortable he is around guns, and alluded to the fact they might change his vote on something. He also made it crystal clear he was not going to change the local ordinance. I don't know that suing him would work because whoever sued him would likely not get any monetary return.

Sorry - what I meant was sooner or later his police force will arrest someone or worse for legal open carry and they will lose big and then decide to follow state law.

Raggs

Mike
There is another meeting coming on Jan 22, Feb 5 and Feb 19. I believe there will be another opportunity to come out and speak.

If I would have known about this, I would have gone. ****.

So he admits that they're violating state laws, but then pretty much says he doesn't care.

& The City Councillor wants to discuss where it's appropriate to carry?

Sorry. I didn't see in the constitution where it says "You have the right to bear arms...where others think its appropriate".

I must have missed that part.

Also, by the comments on this report, It looks like this was filmed during the meeting, and posted after, so none of us could attend.

What great work by this news station...

mastiff69

Violation of Oath of Office ....

Just remove the Mayor, for not upholding his oath of office, as it is clear that he violated his oath of office !
Get the oath of office from the GR mayor's office.
Use it against him, he is clearly violating the Constitution Federal & State.
I already read the Oath of Office that he swore an Oath to uphold....

Raggs

He answered that actually, He said to the affect that when the 2nd amendment gets in the way of people exercising their 1st amendment rights he would err on the side of the 1st amendment. He does not get it is not either or it is all or nothing.

Just remove the Mayor, for not upholding his oath of office, as it is clear that he violated his oath of office !

FreeInAZ

He answered that actually, He said to the affect that when the 2nd amendment gets in the way of people exercising their 1st amendment rights he would err on the side of the 1st amendment. He does not get it is not either or it is all or nothing.

Got to love officials who treat the constitution as if it is a buffet that they can "pick and choose" from on what laws to abide by and what ones to trample. :mad:

FreeInAZ

We've been here before DB. Remember Royal Oak? I think it will take constant pressure over several meeting to get these A$$hats to obey the law. :(

PS- hope you and yours are doing well.

- A OC pal from the past.

TheQ

Whats the next step? Will a large showing of Gun right supporters at the next meeting have any impact at this point?

It appears the Mayor doesn't care and is not planning on changing Squat.

MOC's effort is getting consistently and strategically larger.

At first, it was one. Then two. Last night: about 8 or 10. We're publicizing the events progressively more with each iteration.

I'd suggest the MOC forum is the authoritative place to stay tuned into the. "Official" plans.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

Yet, Heartwell has not advanced any ideas on how to deal with the root cause of gun violence; he just demonizes an inanimate object, marginalizes law abiding citizens, and yet the blood flows in the streets of his city. Shame, George Heartwell, shame. The citizens of Grand Rapids deserve a real leader, not an emotional basket case who gets knots in his stomach at the sight of a lawfully armed, law abiding citizen. How would he react to a REAL crisis? Loss of bladder control?

Sheldon

so anyone here remember when we first became a shall issue state, that MI stated in no uncertain terms that they reserve the right to make firearms laws, and how Wayne Co said screw you MI we are going to do what we want, and how they had their rear handed to them in court....

alphamale

Bingo you got it right on target (no pun intended) this Nazi regime mentality needs to be recalled fast. Recall the Mayor and every city council member who agrees with this stupidity. They are acting like Dictators.

The word for today is RECALL.

Raggs

As I understand it the mayor won his reelection by a landslide, He won't be recalled.

Bingo you got it right on target (no pun intended) this Nazi regime mentality needs to be recalled fast. Recall the Mayor and every city council member who agrees with this stupidity. They are acting like Dictators.

The word for today is RECALL.

alphamale

Don't bet on it, many people are now fed up since this latest media and State dept gun grab mentality. Anything is possible, and maybe we need to start recalling these despots.

As I understand it the mayor won his reelection by a landslide, He won't be recalled.