• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went To Court Today

jfslicer

They took your ID, made a copy of it, and then give you the key to the Jail Commander's locked gun? Amazing.

Please tell me you're writing letters to the appropriate people to get this fixed...

decklin

Wow. This definitely needs a follow up. It's seems that they don't understand you we're not only covered under rcw 9.41.300 but that rcw 9.41.290 says they can't enact any further restrictions. Such as requiring ID.
By the way, I don't know how you managed to keep your mouth shut when you got the key to the jail commanders gun. I don't know if I would have been that reserved. Good for you.

Knowledge

They took your ID, made a copy of it, and then give you the key to the Jail Commander's locked gun? Amazing.

Please tell me you're writing letters to the appropriate people to get this fixed...

No, they didn't make a copy of my ID, both of the ladies I was dealing with was confused. When the uniformed lady first took my ID she was about to make a copy and then was stopped by the other.

Who do I need to write? And what should I bring to their attention? I'm not as fluent in corrective action as some of the veteran OC'ers on here.

Knowledge

Wow. This definitely needs a follow up. It's seems that they don't understand you we're not only covered under rcw 9.41.300 but that rcw 9.41.290 says they can't enact any further restrictions. Such as requiring ID.
By the way, I don't know how you managed to keep your mouth shut when you got the key to the jail commanders gun. I don't know if I would have been that reserved. Good for you.

This was my first time getting a lock box at any court/ police station. When I first opened the lock box and saw another weapon, I didn't know what to think. I love how the lady played it off like it happens all the time... If you could assist me in figuring out who and what specifics I need to write I'll send an email to whom ever to fix this. I'm just not sure where to start. Thanks

jfslicer

I would follow the examples from the following threads:

Courts, Encounters while locking up pistols while visiting. - a sticky on this forum dedicated to the topic. Lots of stories here.

Thor & Spokane County Court - Talked to site supervisor while on site. Later contacted Spokane County Sheriffs office (since they do the security procedures there) and finally the Commissioner. Still haven't heard the final word, but he did get them to agree that CPL's weren't needed.

Difdi

I can envision a situation where you might have to fail to appear in court given that 'policy'. It wouldn't even be much of a stretch to plausibility. Say you were carrying sterile, took the bus (unloaded open carry on a vehicle) to the court house to answer a summons (ticket, order to appear, jury duty, whatever).

You get there, and you can't check a gun due to the policy (which is not in line with the RCW). You can't enter the court house without checking the gun and there is no way to securely store it other than that lockbox you're denied access to without ID. I wonder how the judge would react to the fact that a policy that is out of line with the law stopped someone from obeying the judge...

sudden valley gunner

I can envision a situation where you might have to fail to appear in court given that 'policy'. It wouldn't even be much of a stretch to plausibility. Say you were carrying sterile, took the bus (unloaded open carry on a vehicle) to the court house to answer a summons (ticket, order to appear, jury duty, whatever).

You get there, and you can't check a gun due to the policy (which is not in line with the RCW). You can't enter the court house without checking the gun and there is no way to securely store it other than that lockbox you're denied access to without ID. I wonder how the judge would react to the fact that a policy that is out of line with the law stopped someone from obeying the judge...

Almost worked for me.....they dismissed the ticket for no PC without me there.......;)

thewise1

I'm always gonna be a playboy, mom! :lol:

f you b

oh man I'm sorry, thought you were 5-0

God bless your children!

That's hilarious!

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
No, they didn't make a copy of my ID, both of the ladies I was dealing with was confused. When the uniformed lady first took my ID she was about to make a copy and then was stopped by the other.

Who do I need to write? And what should I bring to their attention? I'm not as fluent in corrective action as some of the veteran OC'ers on here.

Who do I need to write? Chief of Police or the HMFIC (they will probably send it over to the city attorney's office for clarification (which means delay)).

And what should I bring to their attention?
both of the RCW's that have been mentioned .300 & .290

Somewhere in my laptop I have letters that will help. Bear with me as I got a new laptop and I have to go thru 32gb of storage files. Some letters are txt & some doc.

So why the $124 cost?

Last edited:

Knowledge

Who do I need to write? Chief of Police or the HMFIC (they will probably send it over to the city attorney's office for clarification (which means delay)).

And what should I bring to their attention?
both of the RCW's that have been mentioned .300 & .290

Somewhere in my laptop I have letters that will help. Bear with me as I got a new laptop and I have to go thru 32gb of storage files. Some letters are txt & some doc.

So why the $124 cost?

Ok, I appreciate the help.
I lost my case, the judge thought it was ok to stop me in the middle of my argument and literally say "I'm gonna stop you there" and charge me for the full fine. I was challenging the courts jurisdiction be cause they lacked subject matter jurisdiction because nobody filed a valid cause of action against me.

amzbrady

I'm always gonna be a playboy, mom! :lol:

f you b

oh man I'm sorry, thought you were 5-0

God bless your children!

That's hilarious!

Bless the children, but F yo momma, Classic.

OK, next time don't put your camera in the squirrel cage because it obviously made them mad, I could hear them ranting about it.
Need ID? Should have asked for the chief of police, they have the ability to run your name and ID you, and I would pretty much bet they have you on video they could play back, and have a camera they could take your picture with.
Did you get to keep the key, or did they take it from you? If you got to keep it, why do they need ID to release anything to you? I would think they could sell your gun and recoup the cost of the key if you left with it.
If they kept the key, how could you possibly leave with it and they would have to make another.
I would have taken the gun in the box and set it out and put my gun in. Let the other person lose his and explain it. No really you did the right thing there, by telling them.
I hope to see you file a complaint to get the ID thing resolved.

Overall good job.