• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Killl a watermelon? Jail time for you -- only in commie CT

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
stabbed and carved a watermelon in a passive-aggressive manner

Just how the heck to you do that?

Oh! She came home and found a sliced-open watermelon on the counter with a knife sticking in it.

If your spouse comes home to see that and thinks you are passive-aggressively sending a violent message/threat, you have a problem on your hands.

stay safe.

countryclubjoe

Some serious police work going on in that town. I guess the PD is saving the SWAT for turkey carving. Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

CCJ

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Passive-aggressive behavior is the indirect expression of hostility, such as through procrastination, sarcasm, stubbornness, sullenness, or deliberate or repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.
In other words, normal behavior.

jhfc

And here I was on opening this thread, thinking I would see a nice photo of a watermelon being decimated by hydrostatic shock with a well placed shot from a .270; the perp being subsequently arrested for fruit abuse.

The couple is in the process of going through a divorce, according to police.

Mebbe, they don't have the most ideal relationship at the moment.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Decimate means to reduce by a factor of ten. ....

It used to mean that. Literally it now means to figuratively destroy completely. But there may be hope - see how one guy solves the problem. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/07/15/word-crimes-by-weird-al-yankovic/

Sadly, neither the King's nor the Queen's English resembles what it used to be. Even the Brits can't speak it properly any more - BBC being in the top 10 of offenders.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Will the watermelon be put in the witness protection program? If it survived the brutal attack?

Of course it was not the offenders fault, the knife made him do it.

Massive amounts of sarcasm above.

jhfc

Decimate means to reduce by a factor of ten.

As mah spelin an werd choice is subfunktioning, I present this for yur injoiment from a smarty-pants at a Limey institoot of hi lerning:

So given that these two meanings of decimate appeared almost simultaneously, why are we so obsessed with assigning the punitive meaning to the word? A likely answer is that people are falling prey to what is known as the Etymological Fallacy, a tendency to believe that a word’s current meaning should be dictated by its roots. Unfortunately for the etymological purists, decimate comes from the Medieval Latin word decimatus, which means ‘to tithe’. The word was then assigned retrospectively to the Roman practice of punishing every tenth soldier.

So, next time you attend a symposium (etymologically, drinking partner) with someone sinister (etymologically, left-handed), and they launch into a tirade about the misuse of this word, you’ll be able to decimate their argument in no time at all.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/09/does-decimate-mean-destroy-one-tenth/

Have Gun - Will Carry

If you will read deeper into your citation then you will see that I have already commented and contributed a bit more to the topic.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/15/carson-cultivating-a-curious-mind/

Speaking of "unwanted truth", you just freely admitted to being a sock puppet of Doug Huffman, who has been banned from this site. Which is funny, since you repeatedly deny your true identity in the Wisconsin subforum, where too many of us know you and can easily recognize your other sock puppets...

Outing oneself is the mark of those who believe themselves to be more intelligent - and relevant - than they really are... Wouldn't you say, Doug?

Jack House

It used to mean that. Literally it now means to figuratively destroy completely. But there may be hope - see how one guy solves the problem. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/07/15/word-crimes-by-weird-al-yankovic/

Sadly, neither the King's nor the Queen's English resembles what it used to be. Even the Brits can't speak it properly any more - BBC being in the top 10 of offenders.

stay safe.
Sadly? You find it sad that language evolves and improves our ability to communicate? Or would you rather we all spoke proto-germanic? :rolleyes:

I find it retarded to bemoan present day English as a bastardization of the Queen's English or whatever, when in reality both are a perversion of early modern English, which is a perversion of middle English and so on and so forth.

I'd reckon people like that just loath the hell out of Shakespeare, that dirty rotten bastard just inventing words all willy nilly like some early version of Dr. Seuss. Disgusting!

Doug Huffman, who has been banned from this site.
I missed that, why was he banned?

Arrogant Worms - Carrot Juice Is Murder

Just how the heck to you do that?

Oh! She came home and found a sliced-open watermelon on the counter with a knife sticking in it.

If your spouse comes home to see that and thinks you are passive-aggressively sending a violent message/threat, you have a problem on your hands.

stay safe.
As far fetched as it may seem, it's certainly possible. No way of knowing without more details though. Is it that the wife is off her rocker and attacking her husband or is it that the husband is off his and threatening the wife for attempting to expose his drug stash?