• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Hempfest 2014: Part I. No guns allowed

Dave_pro2a

I can't decide whether to tell you to wake up, or to grow up. :lol:

Call him a hypocrite.

"we need to ban guns and pot, because of what could possibly go wrong."

"we need to ban pot, because of what could possibly go wrong."

"we need to ban guns, because of what could possibly go wrong."

Dude is just applying anti-gun logic to other objects.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Call him a hypocrite.

Methinks he is laboring under the assumption that simultaneous marijuana use and gun ownership hasn't been ridiculously common all along.

Amongst those I know, the proportion of gun owners who use marijuana is nearly identical to the proportion of non-gun-owners who use marijuana. Conclusion: marijuana use and gun ownership have basically nothing to do with each other in the minds of marijuana users.

I know, right? What a surprise, huh? These are the same people who aren't causing an increase in traffic fatalities in CO (actually quite the opposite) despite constant fear-mongering about the dangers of "mixing stoners and cars".

Last edited:

OC Freedom

Methinks he is laboring under the assumption that simultaneous marijuana use and gun ownership hasn't been ridiculously common all along.

Amongst those I know, the proportion of gun owners who use marijuana is nearly identical to the proportion of non-gun-owners who use marijuana. Conclusion: marijuana use and gun ownership have basically nothing to do with each other in the minds of marijuana users.

I know, right? What a surprise, huh? These are the same people who aren't causing an increase in traffic fatalities in CO (actually quite the opposite) despite constant fear-mongering about the dangers of "mixing stoners and cars".

Very well said

XD40sc

So what, now you're afraid of an armed populace all of a sudden?

While drunk or high, you damn right.

When I go out drinking, I leave my gun at home, and if I drink enough I don't drive either. You?

Last edited:

XD40sc

Call him a hypocrite.

No, we need to be responsible adults, we can have guns, and we can have pot, but a responsible adult won't mix them, an idiot will.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

No, we need to be responsible adults, we can have guns, and we can have pot, but a responsible adult won't mix them, an idiot will.

Gun grabbers claim a "responsible" adult will NOT OWN GUNS.

Legislate [your definition of] 'responsibility,' great excuse to infringe on freedom.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

When I go out drinking, I leave my gun at home, and if I drink enough I don't drive either. You?

I haven't had more than about two beers at a time in so long I can't even remember. I don't "go out drinking" anymore, either.

I do have enough experience with both to assert that your implicit comparison between the two is utterly facile. From everything I've seen, it takes an excessive amount of marijuana consumption for even a moderately experienced adult to achieve even two beers' worth of intoxication (meaning delayed reflexes, poor coordination, slurred thought and speech, etc).

But the biggest reason your comparison is flawed is based on the retention of judgment. Alcohol impairs judgment rapidly and to a great degree, whereas as far as I can tell, marijuana does not. I have had many an obvious drunk assure me that, in fact, they "drive better" drunk and they're just fine to go. While I've heard many marijuana users argue that (non-excessive) use doesn't impair their ability, I have never once seen an obviously-impaired marijuana smoker (without the influence of alcohol) assert that he is fit to drive, much less actually do so. And to a man they all recognize their degree of impairment, and adjust their driving accordingly, something alcohol users rarely do.

For this reason, I am quite comfortable driving with my marijuana-using friends and acquaintances. I will not, however, drive with an active drinker.

And even then, I'm not prepared to have government disarm alcohol-imbibing citizens who haven't harmed (or aren't about to harm) someone, because they crossed some arbitrary line of "intoxication" as measured by their BAC.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Drunk/high people kill thousands every year with their vehicles, another deadly weapon when used improperly. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is no evidence that marijuana users cause accidents at a higher rate than the general populace (in fact, quite the contrary). This forum has a general preference against making unsupported statements of fact, and this is one I'm going to take you to task for.

Moreover,

Under the influence of marijuana, participants decreased their speed and failed to show expected practice effects during a distracted drive. No differences were found during the baseline driving segment or collision avoidance scenarios. No differences attributable to sex were observed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20464803

Derp.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Self righteousness raising it's ugly head.

You have no authority to define what is responsible for others.

Your ignorance is telling. I know veterans who's federal doctors prescribe them MJ because it is the only thing that works. They also have guns.

Possibly what you are doing is projecting your lack of self control and the use of alcohol as a scapegoat onto others.

Here in Whatcom County our OC group routinely has get togethers were we have a few beers. We all acted responsible.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Possibly what you are doing is projecting your lack of self control and the use of alcohol as a scapegoat onto others.

Alcohol users in particular seem to have a real tendency for this.

When I was 18, there was no point to drinking if I didn't get drunk. Today, I really hate getting drunk (I detest the loss of faculty). I dislike alcohol inebriation so much that my beer intake (right now I'm drinking Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager) is self-limited by my feeling any degree of intoxication. Generally that means I drink no more than one beer. Sometimes two.

So, yeah, I mix alcohol and OC all the time, and it's a perfectly responsible thing to do.

Last edited:

notalawyer

When I go out drinking, I leave my gun at home,
So...you consider yourself so irresponsible that you cannot control yourself and that you would shoot someone that did not need shooting?

if I drink enough I don't drive either.
Implying that you do drive after consuming some alcohol :question:

Mr Birdman

junkies

So that means that people who are not smoking weed shouldn't carry guns as well? Just because you attend hempfest doesn't mean that you are high, or under the influence.

No guns around junkies. Why would you attend unless you want to use or watch junkies. Junkies and guns do not mix.