• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obeservations of the West Bend Meet and Greet

NakedOne

Ok I have casually lurked around this forum for most of the summer learning about what is going on in Wisconsin concerning open carry. I am a concealed permit holder of a few states and normally carry while traveling. Open carry is new to me though.

I did finally join Wisconsin Carry Inc and ordered a few shirts. I went to the West Bend Meet and Greet today too. I just observed everyone and didn’t carry while there. I went to learn and listen mostly. Not from the open carry guys but more from the others that were observing those carrying.

Most customers seemed to look at my hips before engaging in a conversation to see if I was carrying. One girl ask me what was going on, I just replied they were having coffee just like us. She seemed to look like something was odd, so I added that it was perfectly legal to carry openly. She was fine with that and left. The one thing I noticed was that the walk way/door area was sort of a maze to get thru to the door. Not a big deal for me, I’m 6’2” 250, but it would have been nice to have a clear area for the other customers.

Overall those there seemed to calm my nerves as to who is openly carrying at these things. I didn’t see anyone grab their gun and show it to others…..which I have seen at various shooting matches and REALLY bothers me! I also didn’t see anyone with a belt full of magazines on their weak side hip. Or some mail order badge saying he could conceal carry.

The one thing I did notice is a nice array of weapons but most being full size. Does anyone open carry a compact gun? Carrying a gun ALL day every day is a pain, smaller is better in my opinion. Now I sure won’t argue the up side of sight radius on a full size or magazine capacity of them. My other observation was not a single revolver there (that I saw).

So at your next Meet and Greet I’ll join you and not just lurk in the background learning.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I was at the Baraboo picnic but not this one. I just posted to say that I carry a HK USPc but even though it's a compact, it's really not that much smaller. I sometimes carry my 1911 as well.

I'm about your size and I don't find carrying my full size 1911 uncomfortable at all. I think alot has to do with proper holster selection and a nice wide belt.

Passive101

Hi Nakedone,

My name is Ryan and I was their with 3 other people today. I had a long sleeve orange shirt on and khaki pants. I was carrying a sub compact Glock 26 with a 15rd magazine in it. Today I had an extra 10rd magazine (pocket carry).
A friend of mine had an XD subcompact in .40 (full size mag) and my girlfriend had a Bersa Thunder .380.

Having extra magazines is not only for having more ammo, but one of the most common causes of jams and issues is with the magazines. Many have the training of 2 is 1, 1 is none. A magazine could have a weak spring, have crud in it, or you could accidentally drop the magazine when you need it most. All of the above can make your firearm worthless other then for hitting something with it. I do agree that when I do see someone with 4 magazines it does seem a bit overkill though. 2-3 magazines total is pretty normal for many carriers both concealed and OC'd. While open carrying many people have more ammo on them as they many times have compact and full size guns which carry more rounds per magazine.

I'm glad you had a good impression of us. I think most everyone is in good spirits at the 2 events I've now been to.

Last edited:

Nate L

Welcome to the Forums,

I was the one carrying the XD40sc bi-tone. My main reason for me buying that gun is I dont really make enough money to afford a huge collection. My theory on it was buy one gun that will work in every situation. I plan on getting a CCW permit later down the road but i dont want to deal with having a ton of firearms that i have to train on! I use the 12rd standard mag when I OC but i do have 2 9rd mags with the pinky extension that i usually carry but left them in the car this time. Hope to you see at events again and glad you had fun!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Usually Don't Carry A Large Gun.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to meeting you next time! I was there today and noticed a few people not wearing a firearm.

I usually wear my Glock 36 in .45 ACP. It is a very light weight gun and holds 7 rounds (have a one round extender on it). I usually don't carry an extra magazine but have four total for this firearm. Two of the four magazines have one round extenders on them. I do have a double magazine holder for my belt but I don't normally wear it. I have fired over 5,000 rounds in this firearm with two of the four magazines and have never had a single problem. I trust my gun, myself and my magazines. One other thing I will add is that I do wear this firearm in the rain and snow and it has never malfunctioned. Glocks are extremely durable and reliable.

Carry On!

protias

Welcome friend! I was carrying a XD45 Compact, but I had the standard 13 round magazine in it.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Carrying a gun ALL day every day is a pain, smaller is better in my opinion. Now I sure won’t argue the up side of sight radius on a full size or magazine capacity of them. My other observation was not a single revolver there (that I saw).

I often carry my Smith and Wesson 637 Airweight. Today I just decided to carry my glock instead. Especially during the summer when I am wearing cargo shorts the airweight is what I usually carry.

I agree with you, I tend to prefer smaller and lighter when I carry.

M

McX

i observed the coffee meet was very sucessful! i noted an entire family showing up- husband, wife, and kids, to show their support for us. I noted the girls with the high school project on OC mentioned in a thread here were in attendance, 3 of the Madison 5 were able to get together having not seen each other since the event, a number of t-shirts were sold, and i hope new memberships recieved. I saw many new faces, and as always it was good to see all my friends, and be in the company of like minded law abiding citizens. i did also note the Madison police didn't show up, i found that refreshing. The StarBuckians paid us little mind, and the staff was warm and friendly.

added on edit; I carried precious, my hi point .40, and am looking into a better self defense firearm, size is of no consequence to me.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

3 of the Madison 5 were able to get together having not seen each other since the event,

McX, I know you were working Saturday but 4 of the 5 were there at the picnic and to re-create the 'disturbance' at Culvers. I didn't sit in the same booth as that fateful night, however.

M

McX

paul, you realize ofcourse that i collect autographs, and we simply must get the madison 5 together for a photo, and then they can each autograph the photo for me to hang at the shop!

paul@paul-fisher.com

paul, you realize ofcourse that i collect autographs, and we simply must get the madison 5 together for a photo, and then they can each autograph the photo for me to hang at the shop!

Maybe we can do it at court on the 27th of October!!!! So, we going to Culvers after pleading not guilty?

NakedOne

I would definitely go to another meet and greet if it’s close by and I have the time. OK, really wouldn’t have to be all that close! :lol:

One question though, the t-shirts are nice, I even ordered a few, but how about a nice polo shirt? The better dressed people are the less chance of an issue. As they say (who is “they” anyway?) only get one chance to make a first impression.

xenophon

The StarBuckians paid us little mind, and the staff was warm and friendly.

I bet those there felt safer, even if they didn't say it (including the staff). No robber in his right mind would come in there. A bad guy would walk in, do a double take, and walk right out.......and proceed to a store with a "no guns allowed" sign!

The Don

reminds me...

I was thinking about the Madison 5 last week when someone mentioned "hero" in some context. This line came to mind from a book I read once...

"They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally, they became heroes."

Passive101

I'm still going to order a t-shirt, but I would much rather have a Polo.

I never wear printed t-shirts. Maybe it's because I'm used to South Florida where it is unseen, but I usually am wearing button ups polo's.