• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

where to OC and where not?

carry for myself

anyone thought of compiling a list? of places that OC are accepted without issues?

Such as stores, resturaunts, gas stations, pet stores?

I know that KTP allows it happily. What about Cabelas? i've seen conflicting signage there.

a list like this could make avoiding getting booted out of places alot more simple :)

carry for myself

think shes also getting tired of buying everything at KTP because i know i wont have an issue there haha. i know walmart is a no-go. anyone know about Target? Shaws? Hannaford? CVS? who actually is known to comply with state law?

boyscout399

think shes also getting tired of buying everything at KTP because i know i wont have an issue there haha. i know walmart is a no-go. anyone know about Target? Shaws? Hannaford? CVS? who actually is known to comply with state law?

Walmart is usually not a "no-go" Biddeford kicked me out, but it's on a store by store basis, so others have been fine. Never had a problem with Target (Biddeford, South Portland), Shaws (Biddeford), Hannaford (Portland, Saco, Biddeford, Sanford), CVS (Biddeford, Congress Street Portland), Lowes (Sanford, Biddeford, Portland), Home Depot (Biddeford), Staples (Biddeford, South Portland, Falmouth) Irving/Circle K (Biddeford, Saco, Others), Cumberland Farms (Many throughout state)

Basically I OC EVERYWHERE. There are very few places that have asked me to leave. Several have asked if I had a permit, but rarely to leave. Walmart in Biddeford and The Maine Mall I think are the only two places that have asked me to leave in 3 years of OCing almost daily.

carry for myself

your right boyscout. Just Oc'ed from prospect st biddo to hannaford. walked in, got a energy drink and a pack of butts. shift leader took a look at my gun, said "nice S&W" smiled and continued the transaction. went just fine. only issue i had was a pesky cop circled every block back from hannaford to prospect. didnt stop me though. just eyed me real hard. however i saw you had a run in with them last year on youtube. maybe they learned their lesson :) gonna try scarborough walmart later tonight. see how that turns out :) thanks for the help.

been Ocing 8 years, but im from the sunday river region so im not used to doing it in sucha populated area. thanks again :monkey

boyscout399

your right boyscout. Just Oc'ed from prospect st biddo to hannaford. walked in, got a energy drink and a pack of butts. shift leader took a look at my gun, said "nice S&W" smiled and continued the transaction. went just fine. only issue i had was a pesky cop circled every block back from hannaford to prospect. didnt stop me though. just eyed me real hard. however i saw you had a run in with them last year on youtube. maybe they learned their lesson :) gonna try scarborough walmart later tonight. see how that turns out :) thanks for the help.

been Ocing 8 years, but im from the sunday river region so im not used to doing it in sucha populated area. thanks again :monkey

Yes, I did have an issue with BPD last year and the chief assured me that the entire department got retraining on the issue. It sounds like they acted appropriately.

carry for myself

hahaha. if you have the stones to wear a speedo, you have the stones to wear a gun haha. maybe you could find a holster made of speedo-esque fabric. gotta match right haha

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate

KTP wasn't always OC friendly! Like many other places, they needed a gentle shove to see the light.

carry for myself

yeah i have had a few of their "greeters" attempt to tell me that i couldnt carry in there. all it took was a call for a manager and it was all cleared up. i think if a place is going to make a press release saying they are OC friendly as KTP did. that they should train their associates on that decision. Went there yesterday however to pick up a new blackhawk CQC leather holster, had no problems :) was a good day.

question though is cabelas OC friendly? i remember a few months ago before you got to the firearms check-in station , they had a sign in the entry way saying only CCW and legally open carried firearms didnt have to be checked in. and now that sign is replaced with one that says CCW....and i remember a while back corperate had said they were not supportive of OC.........so im confused on that one still

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
yeah i have had a few of their "greeters" attempt to tell me that i couldnt carry in there. all it took was a call for a manager and it was all cleared up. i think if a place is going to make a press release saying they are OC friendly as KTP did. that they should train their associates on that decision. Went there yesterday however to pick up a new blackhawk CQC leather holster, had no problems :) was a good day.

question though is cabelas OC friendly? i remember a few months ago before you got to the firearms check-in station , they had a sign in the entry way saying only CCW and legally open carried firearms didnt have to be checked in. and now that sign is replaced with one that says CCW....and i remember a while back corperate had said they were not supportive of OC.........so im confused on that one still

As far as I know they do allow open carry in the store. I have carried many time here and they have been supportive. But on the other hand they will not put any of our fliers up because not all if their customers may not agree with our stance. According to corporate.

carry for myself

As far as I know they do allow open carry in the store. I have carried many time here and they have been supportive. But on the other hand they will not put any of our fliers up because not all if their customers may not agree with our stance. According to corporate.

sweet. that makes life easier, driving all the way to KTP for ammo is not fun, only worth it if im picking up new weapons. Also going to try Panera bread, Dicks, and Admerals fire supply :) need a nice black leather double mag holster ;-)

crdonov

iv also oc in cabelas with out a problem! i also havnt seen the sign they had in the past.

xd over

carry for myself

it was right in the entry way, big A sign that says you have to check your weapons, said something about OC a while ago, now its gone lol but im heading there in 15 or so , if i get booted, oh well KTP it is :-D haha

carry for myself

dicks sporting goods was alright. no issues, admeral fire and safety was closed. scarborough walmart booted me right as i entered. Kohls was good :) got some new pants!:banana:

boyscout399

it was right in the entry way, big A sign that says you have to check your weapons, said something about OC a while ago, now its gone lol but im heading there in 15 or so , if i get booted, oh well KTP it is :-D haha

It says check your weapons if they're brought in for repair or trade or something to that effect. Not that ALL weapons need to be checked.

carry for myself

Booted you???? was it a manager? They are the only people that can ask you to leave...

sure was. walked past the greeter, got to about the first frozen case right past the fruit, and was approached by a guy in a white shirt and walkey talkey and asked to leave due to "corp policy". oh well, wasnt expecting walmart to be cool with it haha. from now on i shop at target. never really had an issue in the South Portland store by gap and all that :)

boyscout399

sure was. walked past the greeter, got to about the first frozen case right past the fruit, and was approached by a guy in a white shirt and walkey talkey and asked to leave due to "corp policy". oh well, wasnt expecting walmart to be cool with it haha. from now on i shop at target. never really had an issue in the South Portland store by gap and all that :)

All Targets have always been good with me. I was approached by a Loss Prevention person in the Biddeford Target and he asked if I had a CCW permit. I told him I did and he said to have a good day, he just wanted to make sure I was okay.