• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just to confirm Open Carry is Legal

ZeroC

In public yes except government buildings/schools and private property that is posted that you can't. in a car no, you need your CHL. If you can legally own a gun you're legally allowed to OC

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft's veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio's "home rule" localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.
http://www.opencarry.org/oh.html

http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html

Werz

Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft's veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio's "home rule" localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

A concealed handgun license is also required for open carry in D-permit (liquor by the glass) liquor premises.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have been searching all over the place to see if Open Carry is legal. Some places say no, some places say yes. What the hell is the right answer?
For your own legal and physical safety, you need to do an ENORMOUS amount of studying before you should even think about open carrying.

Coming to OCDO and asking a question, the answer to which is relatively easily found on here, is not impressive.

Regardless, here's a little something to get you started: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Actually Ohio does not ban open carry in all government buildings; specifically local govenment can post ponly against CONCEALED carry, so in essence open carry is required there.
True, but since we haven't eliminated potential charges of inducing panic or disorderly conduct from the list of possible charges, to be a test case for OC in such circumstances is best left to those with lots of time and money.

MyWifeSaidYes

I like the way Mike put it... open carry is required in government buildings. :banana:

You got no gun, you can't come in!!!

MyWifeSaidYes

I'm not worried about Disorderly Conduct or Inducing Panic charges. I am also not concerned with Obstructing Official Business charges.

So, what's left?

What can they charge me with that will stick?

I am trying to analyze a "theoretical" situation and can find no criminal activity.

The situation is:

A citizen of Ohio, 21 or older and legally allowed to posess a handgun, openly carries that handgun in a holster on their hip.
The citizen decides to eat lunch on the Oval at Ohio State University while wearing that handgun.
They are not a student or employee of the university.

Did they do anything ILLEGAL?

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
As I said, Mike, being a test case for OC in such circumstances is best left to those with lots of time and money.

What is "such circumstances"?

Walking into city hall while open carrying is the same fact pattern as walking into a mall or shoping center. There is always the risk of police harassment, and the answer is rarely is a defense to prosecution - rather, there is no prosecution but htere is a civil lawsuit agaist the offending officers and locality with attorney fee shifting under 42 USC 1983.

And yes, some years ago I open carried in Ohio, full view of familes in a McDonalds, and in a bathroom there, and walking across a large parking lot, etc. No problem, nobody cared, neither did I.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
What is "such circumstances"?

Walking into city hall while open carrying is the same fact pattern as walking into a mall or shoping center. There is always the risk of police harassment, and the answer is rarely is a defense to prosecution - rather, there is no prosecution but htere is a civil lawsuit agaist the offending officers and locality with attorney fee shifting under 42 USC 1983.

And yes, some years ago I open carried in Ohio, full view of familes in a McDonalds, and in a bathroom there, and walking across a large parking lot, etc. No problem, nobody cared, neither did I.
"Such circumstances" is where the police would feel compelled to charge one, because "the signs say NO GUNS!!" So, no, not the same fact pattern.

As you well know, the chances for a successful 1983 suit are unbelievably low. Now, if you want to take both of my cases on contingency, we can talk about me being the test case. :lol:

JediSkipdogg

"Such circumstances" is where the police would feel compelled to charge one, because "the signs say NO GUNS!!" So, no, not the same fact pattern.

As you well know, the chances for a successful 1983 suit are unbelievably low. Now, if you want to take both of my cases on contingency, we can talk about me being the test case. :lol:

Yup, I agree and that's from working at one. I would say most would charge because the sign is there.

Now, let's say one wins in court. There's no guarantee you'll get anything else out of it because in the civil suit a judge may say while you are right, you were wrong for doing it. I've seen too many cases where criminal charges were dropped but civil cases went nowhere.

Mike

Site Co-Founder

Um, state signs, if lawful, say no concealed guns. Otherwise the signs are unlawful.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

If city hall has a courtroom (Mayor's Court) I believe it's off-limits, open or concealed.

Last edited: