• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Statutes - Pistol Laws

zipsil

question

As a holder of only an eligibility certificate can I transport a handgun in my vehicle to the range in back if kept in the locked trunk with out any ammo stored with it?

is going to the range myself formal enough formal training?

Looking at Sec 29-35 it sounds like it is allowed

Thank you

Leverdude

As a holder of only an eligibility certificate can I transport a handgun in my vehicle to the range in back if kept in the locked trunk with out any ammo stored with it?

is going to the range myself formal enough formal training?

Looking at Sec 29-35 it sounds like it is allowed

Thank you

Nope. Most ranges will ask to see your permit when you sign in anyway.

Edward Peruta

One of several documents regarding Eligibility Certificates

It is a shame that any formal range in Connecticut would prevent a person from training with a legally owned firearm.

The formal firing ranges in Connecticut may NOT be aware of the Eligibility Certificate or the fact that individual may be able to transport their handgun to a formal firing range to practice with their weapon.

The Heller and McDonald decisions have changed the rules, and should begin to change many of the rules that have existed for years.

Here is a DPS response to a question that was recently posed to DPS which is on topic.

PROVIDED ON DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY LETTERHEAD

I have REDACTED the Name of Person who Requested Info.

June 8, 2010

Re: Request for Answer

Dear Mr. Redacted:

Thank you for your recent question asking: "can a Connecticut citizen transport a firearm to a State
licensed firing range for target practice in a locked container separate from the passanger [sic] dept.
[sic]" With that question you attached a copy of the "statute and position". We note that you identified
Conn. Gen. Stat. § 29-35 (Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions.) which
reads in pertinent part:

a person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such
person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit
to carry the some issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection
shall not apply to ... any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state
for the purpose of... taking part in formal pistol or revolver training ... if such person is a
bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or
revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides ...
For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or
revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and
"transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is
unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not
readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a
compartment separate from the passenger comportment, such pistol or revolver shall be
contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Please be aware that our office does not issue legal opinions to the public. This letter is not intended as a legal opinion, and nothing contained in this letter should be construed as such. Based on your question as well as our reading of Conn. Gen. Stat. § 29-35, we generally agree that the exception to transporting a handgun without a Connecticut handgun permit appears to include, with noteworthy limitations, the transportation of a handgun for the purpose of "formal Pistol or Revolver training".

However, the statute does place significant limitations on many aspects of the transportation. For example, it limits the destination to which the handgun may be transported (i.e. a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility), the manner in which may be transported [e.g. unloaded, not readily accessible, etc.), and by whom the handgun may be transported (e.g. a bona fide resident of the United States). We also note that the statute does not specifically define what constitutes "training".

While you provided many examples as to what you considered to be training (e.g. "fire rounds at set
distances", "site picture", "site alignment", "breath control", etc.), the examples given in your letter, as
well as numerous others which immediately spring to mind, all are dependent on the entire facts and
circumstances or any situation as a whole. As such, we cannot give you an answer to any particular
hypothetical situation as to what may be statutorily considered "training" (formal or otherwise). We
therefore suggest you consult with an appropriate attorney to discuss particular hypothetical situations
with respect to Conn. Gen. Stat. § 29-35.

RESPONSE OF

Tpr. Thomas Hatfield Esq.
Connecticut Department of Public Safety
Legal Affairs Unit

zipsil

"May" be allowed, I don't feel like that is good enough to keep me out of jail, if the wrong cop pulled me over on the way there or back.

Leverdude

"May" be allowed, I don't feel like that is good enough to keep me out of jail, if the wrong cop pulled me over on the way there or back.

Exactly.
Chances are you'd never have any problem with the police. Unless it was the wrong cop. To my thinking "Formal training" would be a class, not just target shooting or training on your own.
Off hand I only know of one public range that doesn't ask for your permit, and that makes sense since our law doesn't permit you to carry a loaded handgun outside your home or place of business without a permit.
If its against the law to be on your own property without a permit I'd think it would be on someone elses. But I'v been wrong before.

I think CT's laws are long overdue for an overhaul. Under scrutiny many seem pretty un-thought out.