• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rhinelander Ordinance Change Request

icepik

imported post

The process to change the current ordinance in Rhinelander for Open Carry has begun...I'll keep updating here as needed.

Current Ordinance available here: http://library6.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=12603&doc_action=whatsnew

10.01OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY .

(1)REGULATIONS AND USE OF FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS.

(a)Carrying Weapons . No person shall carry any concealed pistol, revolver or other similar firearm about the City or have any firearm, rifle, spring or airgun in his possession, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, except that this provision shall not apply to any policeman or other officer of the law entitled to carry firearms.

(b)Intoxicated Person Not to Carry Firearms . No person in a state of intoxication shall go armed in and about the City with any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded.

(c)Discharging Firearms and Other Weapons . (Am. #18-06) No person, except a peace officer, shall discharge any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other firearm or hunting arrow or arrows within the City, except where the use of such firearm or arms or hunting arrows are required for the protection of person or property or where used in supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries, or in the case of hunting arrows, in a hunting area utilized to hunt deer pursuant to §11.06, Deer Nuisance.

icepik

imported post

The City of Rhinelander is going to take a little more work than normal.

It appears that the Police Chief is not too fond of this change.

Currently the City Administrator and Police Chief wish to have a sit down to discuss this.

While I have expressed that there is nothing to discuss, I will gladly oblige.

I'll post updates as I have them, as soon as they decide on a day to meet in the next week or two that works for me...it's almost a 4 hour drive.

AaronS

imported post

Icepik is on the job. Nice work you have been doing.

As far as the Rhinelander meeting. It might be a good idea to show them Green Bays new set of laws, as this is one of the city's that re-did the law on carry, and did not add any park ban (I'm sure the park bans will be fought soon).

icepik

imported post

Thanks.

I'm currently working on the park restriction in Saukville.

I'll pull green bays info, and put it with graftons. They did the same thing there, nice and clean.

Thanks!

elvenhome21

imported post

wasnt there a post a while ago about i believe water town or one of the towns in the south about the chief or a law maker that said you can open carry a loaded gun because of this line. "or other suitable container" cause a holster is a suitable container

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

elvenhome21 wrote:
wasnt there a post a while ago about i believe water town or one of the towns in the south about the chief or a law maker that said you can open carry a loaded gun because of this line. "or other suitable container" cause a holster is a suitable container
WELCOME TO THE FORUM:celebrate

I don't believe "other suitable container" appears in state law. Local ordinances as they pertain to ownership and possession are mute by 66.0409.

Carry On.

icepik

imported post

UPDATE:

The City Of Rhinelander is currently reviewing the ordinances on the books, and should have this issue listed as a line item on the next PPP meeting, which is next month.

Once I have a confirmed agenda, I'll post the date/time here so any who wish may attend and show support.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

elvenhome21 wrote:
wasnt there a post a while ago about i believe water town or one of the towns in the south about the chief or a law maker that said you can open carry a loaded gun because of this line.  "or other suitable container" cause a holster is a suitable container

That was Elkhorn. See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/30921.html

In Rhinelander, subsection c contradicts subsection a.

A says I can't have a loaded gun at all. c says that I can't discharge a gun unless I'm protecting myself. How can I protect myself if I don't have a loaded gun?

icepik

imported post

Tuesday, June 29th 2010 at 2:30pm

The issue of removing the City of Rhinelander ordinance 10.01 (1) (a) will be on the PPP meeting agenda for discussion.

The city administrator has replied with this in his e-mail:

As I have stated in the past...this will be an issue for the city atty to decide on the legality of our ordinance. I would be more than happy to put this on next months agenda for discussion. See you on the 29th at 2:30pm.

icepik

Revised

It's been a while since I've posted updates. I've been working silently in the background trying to make progress with many communities.

Here's the revised ordinance as found on the City of Rhinelander website. It has been reduced to spring or airgun.

HOWEVER, they have added a public park restriction. (See at bottom)

Link: http://www.ci.rhinelander.wi.gov/

Municode: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14476&stateId=49&stateName=Wisconsin

Ordinance:

4.03.01. - Offenses against public health and safety.

(1) Regulations and use of firearms and other weapons.

(a) Carrying weapons. No person shall carry any or have any spring or airgun in his possession, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, except that this provision shall not apply to any policeman or other officer of the law entitled to carry firearms.

(b) Reserved.

(c) Discharging firearms and other weapons. No person, except a peace officer, shall discharge any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other firearm or hunting arrow or arrows within the City, except where the use of such firearm or arms or hunting arrows are required for the protection of person or property or where used in supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries, or in the case of hunting arrows, in a hunting area utilized to hunt deer pursuant to Section 4.04.06, Deer Nuisance.

3.04.02. - Park regulations.

(6) Carry, keep or use any firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, trap, gun or other shooting device upon such public park grounds, except as authorized and approved by the Parks, Buildings and Grounds Department.

Geoff

So a police officer can carry an airgun, but an ordinary citizen cannot?

Either way, I'm glad to see you're still working on this. I was beginning to wonder what happened to you.

Geoff

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
The City of Rhinelander is going to take a little more work than normal.

It appears that the Police Chief is not too fond of this change.

Currently the City Administrator and Police Chief wish to have a sit down to discuss this.

While I have expressed that there is nothing to discuss, I will gladly oblige.

I'll post updates as I have them, as soon as they decide on a day to meet in the next week or two that works for me...it's almost a 4 hour drive.

Remember, the Wisconsin Police Chief's Association has worked with WAVE to lobby the legislature against expansion of firearm rights. The Rhinelander Mayor is identified as a current MAIG member (i.e. Barrett sycophant) on the MAIG web site.

http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/articles/2010/01/02/news/doc4b3d0d43acb54546984612.txt

"September 11

Mayor attacked by NRA

Rhinelander Mayor Dick Johns is beset with angry phone calls and e-mails generated by a National Rifle Association (NRA) mailing accusing him of belonging to “a national anti-gun group.”

The mailing referred to Johns’ membership with “Mayors Against Illegal Guns” (MAIG) and urged NRA members to demand that the mayor denounce his affiliation with the group, claiming they have lobbied Congress against national reciprocity of right-to-carry permits and reform of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) and for regulating gun shows and repealing privacy rights for gun owners.

Johns said he was confused by the situation, explaining that he joined the organization at the invitation of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett to show his support for keeping illegally obtained guns off of the city streets."

Last edited:

FMJ45

Remember, the Wisconsin Police Chief's Association has worked with WAVE to lobby the legislature against expansion of firearm rights. The Rhinelander Mayor is identified as a current MAIG member (i.e. Barrett sycophant) on the MAIG web site.

http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/articles/2010/01/02/news/doc4b3d0d43acb54546984612.txt

"September 11

Mayor attacked by NRA

Rhinelander Mayor Dick Johns is beset with angry phone calls and e-mails generated by a National Rifle Association (NRA) mailing accusing him of belonging to “a national anti-gun group.”

The mailing referred to Johns’ membership with “Mayors Against Illegal Guns” (MAIG) and urged NRA members to demand that the mayor denounce his affiliation with the group, claiming they have lobbied Congress against national reciprocity of right-to-carry permits and reform of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) and for regulating gun shows and repealing privacy rights for gun owners.

Johns said he was confused by the situation, explaining that he joined the organization at the invitation of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett to show his support for keeping illegally obtained guns off of the city streets."

He also does not know how to fly an American Flag in his office.
http://www.wpeg.net

Like the article says, he's a Purple Heart Vet, Mayor, and head village idiot.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
He also does not know how to fly an American Flag in his office.
http://www.wpeg.net

Like the article says, he's a Purple Heart Vet, Mayor, and head village idiot.

What is with this guy, or more accurately, with the people of Rhinelander? There are only five Wisconsin members of Mayors Against Guns:

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz
Madison, WI

Mayor Tom Barrett
Milwaukee, WI

Mayor Richard Johns
Rhinelander, WI

Mayor Al Richards
Saint Francis, WI

Mayor Kristine M. Deiss
West Bend

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
What is with this guy, or more accurately, with the people of Rhinelander? There are only five Wisconsin members of Mayors Against Guns:

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz
Madison, WI

Mayor Tom Barrett
Milwaukee, WI

Mayor Richard Johns
Rhinelander, WI

Mayor Al Richards
Saint Francis, WI

Mayor Kristine M. Deiss
West Bend, WI

Did the Mayor of Park Falls recently part ways with the demonistic organization? Considering Park Falls is the self-proclaimed Ruffed Grouse hunting Capitol of the world, and hunting Grouse without a shotgun can prove to be extremely difficult. (I have taken one with a .50Cal muzzleloader once, it was a perfect headshot and it resulted in a nice dinner for an otherwise boring late season deer hunt.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Did the Mayor of Park Falls recently part ways with the demonistic organization? Considering Park Falls is the self-proclaimed Ruffed Grouse hunting Capitol of the world, and hunting Grouse without a shotgun can prove to be extremely difficult. (I have taken one with a .50Cal muzzleloader once, it was a perfect headshot and it resulted in a nice dinner for an otherwise boring late season deer hunt.

Must have. Not listed on the current MAG listing. Guess he won't get appointed to a big job in Madison by governor Barrett. Your campaign must have worked.

Vandil

(I have taken one with a .50Cal muzzleloader once, it was a perfect headshot and it resulted in a nice dinner for an otherwise boring late season deer hunt.

I will stand suitably impressed if you took that on the wing with a black powder slug gun.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I will stand suitably impressed if you took that on the wing with a black powder slug gun.

On a log with the ground directly behind it as a backstop, because shooting rifles in an upward direction is dangerous.
I saw 5 grouse come out from under a log one at a time, hop on top, and take flight from there, the sixth one that came out from under that log never got to take flight, and I could not reload in time to get another of the next 4 which all followed suit. It would have been neat to have a semi-auto .22 that day, I could have got my limit of grouse in 30 seconds or less that day!