• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting TN, is OC an option

sha-ul

I will be visiting a friend in Knoxville for 10 days or so, is open carry an option for me?

is there a thread with a thumbnail sketch of the laws?

would be flying in from Wichita to Atlanta& taking greyhound to Knoxville. then driving back to airport in Atlanta for the return trip.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will be visiting a friend in Knoxville for 10 days or so, is open carry an option for me?

is there a thread with a thumbnail sketch of the laws?

would be flying in from Wichita to Atlanta& taking greyhound to Knoxville. then driving back to airport in Atlanta for the return trip.

You actually have a series of "circumstances."

Tennessee is a licensed OC state - reciprocity may apply if you have a permit from your home state.
http://www.opencarry.org/tn.html

Then you have to meet the requirements/conditions for air travel, Georgia requirements and Greyhound conditions too.

Don't think a thumbnail sketch is going to do much to answer the questions that the questions will create. You need to read and understand each chapter, verse by verse.

sha-ul

thanks for the link, I was hoping there would be a sticky at the top of the TN forum with that info.

let's see, you have to ask for permission to exercise a fundamental right? nice....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
thanks for the link, I was hoping there would be a sticky at the top of the TN forum with that info.

let's see, you have to ask for permission to exercise a fundamental right? nice....

Yep - until the 2A is taken as much at face value as is the 1A. Actually, I maintain the OCing is as much a 1A right as it is a 2A right. I am expressing my belief in freedom. :D

HvyMtl

A little more info, which may aid you...
List of Laws: http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/handguntca.htm

List of state permits recognized by Tennessee:
http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm
NOTE: HANDGUN ONLY, knives, tazers, spray, etc. is not allowed...

And here is a state phone number for any clarification: (866) 849-3548
http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm

I am pretty sure Greyhound does not allow carry on the bus, I think you need to look into their rules...

The rules of the airlines also vary. I am not a frequent air traveler, but basically, the firearm must be unloaded and sealed in a locked case, sealed in a checked piece of luggage, and declared. Again, check with the Airlines, as their rules vary.

"let's see, you have to ask for permission to exercise a fundamental right? nice.... " Yeah... Carry is considered privilege here... They get by it by stating you have the right to carry on your property without permits...

Last edited:

sha-ul

It looks like it may be more trouble than I have time for at this time :?

maybe next year.

Oh Shoot

Flying with a gun and using Greyhound with a gun has nothing to do with TN laws.

Once you get to Knoxville you can open carry if you have a Kansas permit.
Except in Knoxville City Parks or any place that is posted no guns.

- OS

AFCop

So by reading the one link am I correct to think since I have a concealed handgun license then I have to carry concealed? Thanks.

Fallguy

No. You may OC or CC in Tennessee, subject to all laws applicable to Tennessee handgun carry permit holders.

That is correct.

TN treats out of state permits "as if issued by TN".

In addition to OCing or CCing...
You don't have to carry the handgun you used in a safety/qualifying class (if you took one)
You can carry more than one handgun.
You can not carry any other weapons.

Just some things I know other states restrict/allow.

markculbert

Permit FOR pistol local intr-state purchase by residents; and local OPEN carriage.

Establishing residency in Tenn shortly; Once therein, any permit or redtape to just
BUY a local handgun (versus carriage therof; i.e. here in Michigan I understand a permit is REQUIRED just to buy intra/instate, locally; BEFORE actual purchase.

#2. After securing a local pistol in-state; is a "clean buyer" (over 18, who otherwide has passed background checks) free to carry a handgun OPENLY (properly holstered and secure, etc.) on their own ranch-farm property (or adjacent/other's with their permission) without a state permit?

(This is a 100% open carriage question; not interested in CONCEALED....)

May a rancher or farmer, etc, keep a non-concealed hand gun on a tractor baling hay for the horses, when riding an ATV/ORV/horseback in cougar-coywolf outback,
country, rabid wildlife, around rattlesnake frequented ledges and mountain areas, etc.?

Last edited:

Fallguy

Establishing residency in Tenn shortly; Once therein, any permit or redtape to just
BUY a local handgun (versus carriage therof; i.e. here in Michigan I understand a permit is REQUIRED just to buy intra/instate, locally; BEFORE actual purchase.

#2. After securing a local pistol in-state; is a "clean buyer" (over 18, who otherwide has passed background checks) free to carry a handgun OPENLY (properly holstered and secure, etc.) on their own ranch-farm property (other other's with their permission) without a state permit?

(This is a 100% open carriage question; not interested in CONCEALED....)

May a rancher or farmer, etc, keep a non-concealed hand gun on a tractor baling hay for the horses, when riding an ATV/ORV/horseback in cougar-coywolf outback,
country, rabid wildlife, around rattlesnake frequented ledges and mountain areas, etc.?

#1 No permit to purchase required in TN.

#2 No permit required to carry (Open or Concealed) on your own property. As far as the rancher/farmer goes if he is on his property there is no problem. If not the law only allows for a long gun to be used to protect livestock etc.. (39-17-1308(a)(5))

www.michie.com/tennessee

markculbert

Open handgun carriage in Allowed Nat and State Parks

Taking this issue up just one more level. Now our non-permitted outbacker-rancher wants to meander over on adjacent National Forest Outback (c. Johnson City....) with his openly carried outback defense weapon for protection against bears, cougars, coywolves, rabid animals....assuming the US Forest or other public (state) forest (and not a park per se) has no prohibitions against handguns for safety etc., may our shooter continue his horseback excursion onto public permitted park areas without a permit?

This issue has led to probably 5-6 or more victims of cougar attacks in Cal, because joggers were attacked by bears/cougars and lacking a permit, and/or red tape; merely rode mountain bikes, hiked, jogged...down trails, naively; unarmed; and had they been allowed to carry a non-concealed handgun w/o a permit; it might have made outcomes more humanly favorable.... (I am picking on public safety issues in facing animal-varmint threats in rural areas; as a general exclusion to ALL gun laws mandating licensing-permitting; BEFORE handguns may be legally carried in outback scenarios. Presently it appears the NON-permitted are handicapped therein in most states).

Fallguy

Taking this issue up just one more level. Now our non-permitted outbacker-rancher wants to meander over on adjacent National Forest Outback (c. Johnson City....) with his openly carried outback defense weapon for protection against bears, cougars, coywolves, rabid animals....assuming the US Forest or other public (state) forest (and not a park per se) has no prohibitions against handguns for safety etc., may our shooter continue his horseback excursion onto public permitted park areas without a permit?

This issue has led to probably 5-6 or more victims of cougar attacks in Cal, because joggers were attacked by bears/cougars and lacking a permit, and/or red tape; merely rode mountain bikes, hiked, jogged...down trails, naively; unarmed; and had they been allowed to carry a non-concealed handgun w/o a permit; it might have made outcomes more humanly favorable.... (I am picking on public safety issues in facing animal-varmint threats in rural areas; as a general exclusion to ALL gun laws mandating licensing-permitting; BEFORE handguns may be legally carried in outback scenarios. Presently it appears the NON-permitted are handicapped therein in most states).

Without a permit, No. As within any state you must follow the laws of the state on carry in general while in the National Park. In TN you must have a carry permit.

Also again in TN the law only allows for a long gun for the protection of livestock off your property. It doesn't allow for the carry of any firearm for self-defense from people or animals.

quarter horseman

a few more questions for ya from MI

Need some answers to some OC questions please.

Have a MI CPL can I open carry in TN? I see yes I can

in a car how do I have to transport my gun?

restaurant with alcohol CC or OC?

thank you for any help you can give.

Fallguy

Need some answers to some OC questions please.

Have a MI CPL can I open carry in TN? I see yes I can

in a car how do I have to transport my gun?

restaurant with alcohol CC or OC?

thank you for any help you can give.

Since you have a CPL it doesn't matter how you have it in your car. It can be on your person or not. In the open or not. If it is plain sight different LEOs may react differently though.

Restaurants with alcohol..OC or CC is legal.