• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from Ky to Ohio

mark1123

I'm moving to Ohio within the next 60 days. I have my CCDW in Kentucky, although I typically open carry. I've been going through the laws and have a good feel for the differences between these two states.
How do I go about getting my Ohio concealed license? Will my KY one transfer? Do I have to go through the process/class all over again?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Do you really have to? Their laws are horrible! More places you can't carry than places you can.haha, however you gotta live in Ohio with a permanent address for 45 days, and you must complete 12 hours of training. A permit from Ky will not be valid in OH once you are a resident of OH. You could get a non resident permit from a state OH honors so you could still carry while your waiting for your OH permit. You can't carry in your car in OH without a valid permit, and open carry isn't like it is here.

mark1123

Do you really have to? Their laws are horrible! More places you can't carry than places you can.haha, however you gotta live in Ohio with a permanent address for 45 days, and you must complete 12 hours of training. A permit from Ky will not be valid in OH once you are a resident of OH. You could get a non resident permit from a state OH honors so you could still carry while your waiting for your OH permit. You can't carry in your car in OH without a valid permit, and open carry isn't like it is here.

I love living in Kentucky. I've open carried nearly every day for quite a while now and haven't had a single issue. The LEOs that I've come across know the law and haven't given me any grief. I will definitely look into the non-resident permit.
Thanks for the info.

hotrod

Mark, I live in Northern Kentucky as you do, and I drive to Dayton Ohio everyday to work. I have been stopped twice, once by Lockland PD and once by Dayton PD. Both times I announced I was a CWL holder and had my weapon. They said ok, did there thing with my ID. It isn't as nice as Kentucky, but it isn't that bad either. Hope your move goes well.

Makarov

I open carry all the time in Dayton without issues. However, I have had a couple of run in with Riverside or surrounding communities cops. Just remember...know the law, be firm, polite and hold your ground. Most cops will repect that if your nice!

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It's a shame you have got to hold your ground at all. You should not even be stopped for a legal activity! File complaints if you are. After what happened in canton, i probably wouldn't say a thing about carrying to an Leo. That is a statute that needs to be removed from law!

RCall

It's a shame you have got to hold your ground at all. You should not even be stopped for a legal activity! File complaints if you are. After what happened in canton, i probably wouldn't say a thing about carrying to an Leo. That is a statute that needs to be removed from law!

There is a bill in the house of rep. to get rid of the notification requirement.

xmanhockey7

Watch out for no guns signs!!!!!!!! Never have I ever seen so many no gun signs. I saw one that was at about knee level for me and I'm just under 5'7.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

Deanimator

Watch out for no guns signs!!!!!!!! Never have I ever seen so many no gun signs. I saw one that was at about knee level for me and I'm just under 5'7.
I have to wonder where you're going to see them.

I live in Rocky River and see very few. None of the banks, grocery stores or drug stores are. I don't think anything in Westgate Mall is. Great Northern Mall and Crocker Park are, but they're owned by a notoriously anti-gun company.

And as pointed out by another, you don't have to search for "no guns" signs like Indiana Jones searching for the Ark of the Covenant. The owner has a duty to make them REASONABLY obvious to someone ENTERING the establishment.

Also the law was recently changed to allow carry in liquor serving establishments when NOT consuming alcohol. My favorite local restaurant, Michaels in Rocky River, is NOT posted. I haven't checked on any of the others recently, but I've been in at least two with liquor licenses and don't recall either being posted.

xmanhockey7

I have to wonder where you're going to see them.

I live in Rocky River and see very few. None of the banks, grocery stores or drug stores are. I don't think anything in Westgate Mall is. Great Northern Mall and Crocker Park are, but they're owned by a notoriously anti-gun company.

And as pointed out by another, you don't have to search for "no guns" signs like Indiana Jones searching for the Ark of the Covenant. The owner has a duty to make them REASONABLY obvious to someone ENTERING the establishment.

Also the law was recently changed to allow carry in liquor serving establishments when NOT consuming alcohol. My favorite local restaurant, Michaels in Rocky River, is NOT posted. I haven't checked on any of the others recently, but I've been in at least two with liquor licenses and don't recall either being posted.

I can't help but notice them. I only go to Ohio to work (referee hockey). So I end up being put up in hotels. The Embassy in Beachwood is the only hotel that I've noticed to have the sign. Every rink I've been to except "The Pond" has the sign. I'm pretty sure Garfield has some sort of no weapons sign but I could be wrong only went there once. It looked like it was owned by the city though so it would seem to me that'd be violating preemption.

William Fisher

In Ohio you don't have to scan every inch of a door/opening for no guns signs.

The law says that the sign must be conspicuously posted and that you must knowingly ignore such signage.

See page 16 of this manual for a cite:
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...rry-Publications/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet

Conspicuously!

That's like promptly notify. Just like the HASSLER case in Canton. While the officer (SO CALLED) was way overboard in every aspect of the stop, it was clear from the video the the driver DID TRY to PROMPTLY notify. Thankfully they did get rid of Hassler. Unfortunatly his partner is still there.

Thank GOD for videos.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
That's what I love about Ky, those signs are worthless, the only place I c them is at school, and I smile and walk right past.

Deanimator

Conspicuously!

That's like promptly notify. Just like the HASSLER case in Canton. While the officer (SO CALLED) was way overboard in every aspect of the stop, it was clear from the video the the driver DID TRY to PROMPTLY notify. Thankfully they did get rid of Hassler. Unfortunatly his partner is still there.

Thank GOD for videos.
Daniel Harless, not "Hassler"... unless you were just being sarcastic.