• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wash. GOP lawmaker wants guns in schools

44Brent

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash...s-in-schools/8450413aa9c7432ba820a2120fdd8b2a

Dec. 29, 2012, 10:19 a.m. PST
AP

SALMON CREEK, Wash. (AP) — A freshman GOP lawmaker wants to allow teachers to carry guns in Washington schools.

KATU-TV (http://bit.ly/TMAMVV ) reports Rep. Liz Pike from Camas says she will file a bill to change state law and allow teachers carry concealed weapons in the classroom.

Pike's proposal would require teachers to voluntarily go through mental health evaluations and gun training at their own expense before being allowed to carry their own guns on a belt or in a holster.

Every school district would get to choose if teachers can carry weapons. Pike says the permits would be confidential and only law enforcement and the superintendent would know which teachers have weapons.

The freshman lawmaker has posted her idea on her Facebook page, asking for feedback.

Incoming lawmaker proposes arming teachers
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Incoming-lawmaker-proposes-arming-teachers-185115841.html

SALMON CREEK, Wash. – An incoming state representative from Camas is considering a proposal to change state law to allow guns in schools.

Republican Liz Pike wants to bring up a bill that would let teachers carry concealed guns in the classroom.

Under Pike's proposal, teachers at schools like Salmon Creek Elementary could volunteer to go through mental evaluations and week-long gun training at their own expense. They would also buy their own guns to bring into their classes and wear on a belt or in a holster – not in a purse or drawer.

Every school district would get to choose if teachers can carry weapons. Pike said it would be confidential and only law enforcement and the superintendent would know which teachers have weapons.

"They're designed to be concealed, and in a perfect situation a student will never see that gun," Pike said.

She posted her idea on her Facebook page, asking for feedback. She said it would be like the federal program for pilots that started after 9/11 where they can volunteer to train and carry.

Pike believes that mentally ill people would then understand that schools are not gun-free zones and they would not want to attack them like the shooter did in Sandy Hook.

"There is a possibility that there will be a teacher protecting those children and there might be somebody (the teacher) shooting back," Pike said. "It's basically a message to the mentally ill people that would do these terrible things to our children in our schools."

But some other state representatives disagree.

"I think we just need to be better prepared to handle the mental health issues that come up," said Rep.-elect Monica Stonier, D-Vancouver. "People who are looking for ways to hurt other people will do that whether there is a gun around or not. So we need to be approaching that from a mental health perspective."

Stonier said she supports the Second Amendment but believes guns in schools would not make kids safer.

"That's not fool proof, and to have guns in a classroom with my children, or anybody's children, when the focus isn't on gun safety and education. And focus is supposed to be on education. That's a problem for me."

She said there's not enough focus on dealing with mental health issues.

Pike said she also supports mental health solutions but said that will take a long time and there's no time to wait.

Pike will start her work in the Legislature Jan. 14. She said at least five other lawmakers in Washington have come up with similar ideas.

Last edited:

amlevin

Pass the law and even if teachers don't carry, let everyone else think there are armed teachers and staff in the schools.

I was told a long time ago "even the thought you might be armed could be a deterrent".

modernknight

That is awesome. I wish they would allow it in colleges as well. I know it's not allowed in my college at least, but never know when trouble is going to start anywhere. Heck, I don't even care about having to register. I certainly feel that teachers should be allowed to do that, and the evaluations and training are a good idea, most certainly.

I also agree just the thought of someone being armed is a perfect deterrent. Good article though. I hope this goes through. I don't have kids yet, but it would make me feel a bit safer if I did and knew that a teacher(s) was armed there.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
That is awesome. I wish they would allow it in colleges as well. I know it's not allowed in my college at least, but never know when trouble is going to start anywhere. Heck, I don't even care about having to register. I certainly feel that teachers should be allowed to do that, and the evaluations and training are a good idea, most certainly.

I also agree just the thought of someone being armed is a perfect deterrent. Good article though. I hope this goes through. I don't have kids yet, but it would make me feel a bit safer if I did and knew that a teacher(s) was armed there.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

It is not illegal at your college if in the state of Washington. Carry concealed and you will be breaking no law. You may run afoul of the college student code of conduct if found out.

DCKilla

Making it lawful for one to carry on k- 12 property would be much better. Having the school district's consent and psych eval is overkill.

hermannr

Making it lawful for one to carry on k- 12 property would be much better. Having the school district's consent and psych eval is overkill.

Overkill, or politically expiedent? She has a democraticly controlled legislature to deal with you know. IMHO, a CPL should be sufficient, as a CPL is required to conceal on a normal basis, or better yet, an added exemption in .060..but neither of those will fly with the democrats that are in control...and remember, Inslee is one of Clinton's AWB poster children.

DCKilla

Overkill, or politically expiedent? She has a democraticly controlled legislature to deal with you know. IMHO, a CPL should be sufficient, as a CPL is required to conceal on a normal basis, or better yet, an added exemption in .060..but neither of those will fly with the democrats that are in control...and remember, Inslee is one of Clinton's AWB poster children.
Wishful thinking, I guess.

Metalhead47

This. The idea may not be perfect, but at least it's return fire against that AWB "shot across the bow" someone mentioned in another thread.

Just don't understand the resistance to the idea myself. We've had (lawfully) armed commercial pilots for going on 10 years now. Are they saying teachers are less "trustworthy" than airline pilots?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
An excellent and detailed case for campus carry...

HERE

Pretend ―"Gun-Free" School Zones: A Deadly Legal Fiction

DAVID B. KOPEL

Most states issue permits to carry a concealed handgun for lawful
protection to an applicant who is over twenty-one years of age, and who
passes a fingerprint-based background check and a safety class. These
permits allow the person to carry a concealed defensive handgun almost
everywhere in the state. Should professors, school teachers, or adult
college and graduate students who have such permits be allowed to carry
firearms on campus?

In the last two years, many state legislatures have debated this topic.
School boards, regents, and administrators are likewise faced with
decisions about whether to change campus firearms policies. This Article
is the first to provide a thorough analysis of the empirical evidence and
policy arguments regarding licensed campus carry. Whether a reader
agrees or disagrees with the Article‟s policy recommendations, the Article
can lay the foundation for a better-informed debate, and a more realistic
analysis of the issue.

Last edited:

hermannr

Assault weapons bans don't work: Columbine happend when the Clinto ban was in place.
Armed Security doesn't work. VT has their own police force.
all of the mad shooters have picked on place that were GFZ's and they had resonable expectation that they would not meet any one with the ability to respond to leathal force with equal force.

The latest theater shooter in San Antonio, TX met with HIS demise, rather then going out in a blaze of glory, Oh yes, there was someone that could counter force with force in the theater, one person shot in the parking lot, one shot discharged by the shooter in the theater...and the shooter was dead when an off duty deputy shot him.