• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

83 days until long gun open carry only CA option.

GWbiker

It appears that Unloaded Open Carry handgun scared too many weenies in California.

So, they had to draft a law making it illegal.

Jerry2197

:(Is there nothing we can do about this? This means I'll have to carry my 7mm rifle till that is made unlawful as well.:banghead:

Verry Sad.

camsoup

Can we carry loaded long guns?

Loaded long guns, NO (not in incorporated areas or prohibited areas of unincorporated territory).

Long guns, YES.... CA GFSZ (gun free school zones) don't prohibit long guns near school....but the Federal version does, so watch out for those FBI and ATF agents if your open carrying your long gun past the local school.

I'm thinking a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and 18" barrel under a trench coat is the way to go, :)

Save Our State

Loaded long guns, NO (not in incorporated areas or prohibited areas of unincorporated territory).

Long guns, YES.... CA GFSZ (gun free school zones) don't prohibit long guns near school....but the Federal version does, so watch out for those FBI and ATF agents if your open carrying your long gun past the local school.

I'm thinking a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and 18" barrel under a trench coat is the way to go, :)

There is nothing preventing a situation such as theseus's from occuring at the federal level of prosecution either. He was not prosecuted until after the fact if I recall, so the locals might refer a case to the feds after you did it. In other words, I don't believe a federal agent needs to be present at the time.

I will continue to carry my rifle to the range up here as before, and I plan on engaging public educational events as well as including other hikes with the rifle as one of my tools. So is that a violation of the forum rule?

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
There is nothing preventing a situation such as theseus's from occuring at the federal level of prosecution either. He was not prosecuted until after the fact if I recall, so the locals might refer a case to the feds after you did it. In other words, I don't believe a federal agent needs to be present at the time.

This is true. If you look at the prosecutions at the federal level for the GFSZ law, you'll find that they have been paired with other criminal acts. To my knowledge there hasn't been a prosecution where the only charge brought against a person was being inside a school zone.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
A sad day for gun rights. Does anyone know if there are going to be any legal challenges to the new law. I would think that some group is going to seek an injunction to keep the law from going into effect temporarily while they battle it out in court. For those of you in California, keep fighting!!

coolusername2007

A sad day for gun rights. Does anyone know if there are going to be any legal challenges to the new law. I would think that some group is going to seek an injunction to keep the law from going into effect temporarily while they battle it out in court. For those of you in California, keep fighting!!

This law, AB144, won't be litigated against for quite a long time. Instead, the gun rights organizations here in CA will use this law to further their efforts to force CA into being a concealed carry shall issue state vs the current may issue system. In this state unloaded open carry has been used as an excuse by judges to prevent concealed carry reform. So now the "right people" are salivating over the window of opportunity that this bill has given them. I suspect they will eventually seek to return CA to a loaded open carry state, but its way down on their priority list.

AB809 long gun registration is likely to be challenged in the not too distant future. The same for SB819 DROS fees re-allocation bill which turns a fee into an unconstitutionally passed tax.

sighere

This law, AB144, won't be litigated against for quite a long time. Instead, the gun rights organizations here in CA will use this law to further their efforts to force CA into being a concealed carry shall issue state vs the current may issue system. In this state unloaded open carry has been used as an excuse by judges to prevent concealed carry reform. So now the "right people" are salivating over the window of opportunity that this bill has given them. I suspect they will eventually seek to return CA to a loaded open carry state, but its way down on their priority list.

AB809 long gun registration is likely to be challenged in the not too distant future. The same for SB819 DROS fees re-allocation bill which turns a fee into an unconstitutionally passed tax.

Exactly. Richards v Prieto specifically stated that because UOC was available, the CCW process did not "substantially burden" the second amendment. It's up on appeal at the 9th circuit. It will be interesting to see if they kick it back down on that issue.

GQflyboy

Rubbish, Absolute Rubbish. I can't believe this. It will be fun to waltz around OB with a long gun though. So many to choose from that have been collecting dust in the closet for so long...

Also, does this mean that long gun open carry talk is no longer Taboo at least in the CA thread?

CREWDAD

Long Gun Open Carry Now

Since are Rights are being Infringed upon, I am ready and willing to be a part of any group in San Diego County who want to start the Long Gun Open Carry movement.

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual"
Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed"
Thomas Jefferson

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Wow way to go governor moonbeam!!!!!

Well I am certainly going to be carrying my "Johnny Seven" rifle/pistol/grenade launcher combo see attached but now my main focus will be ensuring my tactical rifle and shotgun (truck mounted in the locked case)are seen as often and in as many places as I had carried my various pistols come January 1st 2012. l have no UOC option so I expect that California will now become a shall issue state for CCWs (Yep right!!!!)and I hope California becomes more broke with all the pending lawsuits that this BS law will cause. You think the people will be more scared of the shotgun and rifles being carried (especially as I'll be taking mine outta the truck in the parking lot) than the pistols ...Oh hell yeah they will ..... well governor moonbeam you didn't listen to the masses so California will suffer the $$$$$s consequences .....there's already talk of moonbeams treasonous act of signing the California Dream Act a few days ago so now standby for more lawsuits from the gun world.......we knew this day would come

Until January 1st 2012 " Keep Calm and Carry on"

Attachments

• mp011002rm-1281640608[1].jpg
    mp011002rm-1281640608[1].jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Johnny Seven.jpg
    Johnny Seven.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

144 was signed into law by Gov "Brady" Brown of the great state of CA.

1 January 2012 = open carry of handguns in CA is no more.

I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, CA. My family goes back four generations in S.B., after immigrating from Scotland. I have two cousins that went to school in CA but now teach at the University of Edinburgh (plus one that is a professor at Yale University in CT, U.S.A.) - most of my extended family resides in the UK between Scotland and England. My great, great grandfather had a business that constructed most of the original horse drawn carriages that were used to travel up and down the CA coast. My point being that I'm from a very old family (in American terms) that moved to the U.S.A. for a better life which included freedoms that are now not afforded to it's own (UK) citizens.

Needles to say, I have deep ties in California, but I'm happy to not to live there anymore - most of my immediate family are still there however.

Assembly Bill 144 is just downright unconstitutional. I've been reading various news sources which describe the bill as closing the "loop hole" that allows people to legally open carry in California. I didn't realize that the constitution was considered a loop hole. This bill is as upsetting as it is shameful. Every politician that supported this bill should be voted out of office. Period. You may as well take away our right of free speech, or freedom of religion. I can hear the Brady bunch now saying that it's not the same thing. My response is simply: It. Is. The. Same. Darn. Thing. How do you value one freedom over another? Our founding fathers (who were a smart bunch) decided that the freedoms written into our constitution had the same weight as one another.

It seems like some of the police chiefs and a few citizens are upset over people OCing in CA. I can't speak for everyone, but I know a bunch of friends in CA that OC because it's next to impossible to get their concealed carry license in the county that they reside in (you have to literally be a movie star or be willing to "donate" to the local sheriff's dept. (E. Peruda will appreciate this) for them to consider you for a concealed carry license (I hate the term license). Meanwhile, you have criminals who don't care about the law that are illegally carrying concealed anyway. Doesn't the government realize that these criminal individuals are quite literally laughing at the handgun laws in CA? It certainly makes their jobs easier as so many of their victims can't legally be armed.

I hate to generalize, but CA government = Idiots.

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
You ain't seen nuthin yet ...

It appears that Unloaded Open Carry handgun scared too many weenies in California.

So, they had to draft a law making it illegal.

Jeez California will be awash with various Long guns and shotguns and rifles that will be dragged around all over the place ....CA thought the UOC of handguns was a problem for pd and the people> Well come January 2012 or before I'm certain LGOC will be done to see the reaction of both the PD and the people . My Tactical shotgun and AR15 are in my truck locked away but available for deployment anytime!!! Can't wait for my first recorded LGOC encounter especially while shopping at the Mall ...OMG ....

Last edited: