• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver, WA judge carries to court...uses lock box.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
A reported death threat has prompted a Clark County judge to exercise his second amendment rights.
Following the alleged threat more than two weeks ago, Clark County Superior Court Judge John Wulle has started carrying a concealed .380-caliber Walther PPK most places he goes — except the courtroom. Wulle secures the gun in a locked box when he gets to work, though he still has the holster on his hip under his clothes during the day

MORE

(
note: I corrected the incorrect caliber)

amzbrady

It's an American duty, it shouldnt take a death threat to make the comment... “What’s happening is I’m more conscious of my personal security, my family’s security.”

Maybe Paul Hemke could talk him into just carrying a cell phone and calling the police if there is a problem....

Little by little things will change and one at a time they will come around.

dadada

Apparently, this “What’s happening is I’m more conscious of my personal security, my family’s security.” only applies for judges in Vancouver??

FMCDH

Did I read that right, that this judge is carrying a concealed pistol "most places he goes..." without a permit? I hope that "most places" only refers to his home and outdoor recreational activities, or while on his way to his gun club.

Somehow, I don't think that's what its referring to.

I don't see "Judge or Court Justice or anything else of the like anywhere in the exceptions of 9.41.060. Apparently this judge seems to have decided that RCW 9.41.050 doesn't apply to him. How handy to have that kind of pull, and arrogance.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Did I read that right, that this judge is carrying a concealed pistol "most places he goes..." without a permit? I hope that "most places" only refers to his home and outdoor recreational activities, or while on his way to his gun club.

Somehow, I don't think that's what its referring to.

I don't see "Judge or Court Justice or anything else of the like anywhere in the exceptions of 9.41.060. Apparently this judge seems to have decided that RCW 9.41.050 doesn't apply to him. How handy to have that kind of pull, and arrogance.

The article said that the Sheriff told him he should get a concealed weapons permit. I didn't see anything in the article that indicated he did not do so.

Nick, good job in the comments section of the article!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Is it me, or is it just kinda stupid to publicize in the newspaper that you carry a CONCEALED firearm?!? AND, does the judge unload the gun every time he gets in his vehicle, since it was also publicized in the newspaper that he probably does not have a CPL?!? If the judge thinks he is getting extra deterrent value by making it public knowledge that he carries a concealed .380 then why doesn't he get a LARGER gun and open carry?

I'm sorry, but I think this just kinda borderlines on stupidity....

I am unsure of the motivation to write a story on this issue. Did the judge willingly agree to the story? Did the judge protest but the paper have it in for the judge?

Does the judge have a CPL or is he getting one?

And to many of the comments on the website I posed the same response to your last question, just open carry...it's a better deterrent.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

DCR

Times have changed too quickly...

15 years ago (seems like yesterday) I was a prosecutor in a small county. I was talking with the judge before court, and as he was getting ready to put on his robes he inserted a mag into his Smith, racked the slide, made sure it was safe, holstered it, and clipped it to his belt.

I asked him if he'd mind if I carried in court, too. He said it was fine with him - he was only worried about bad guys carrying in court, and figured one more armed good guy was a good thing. (LEO's rarely appeared at traffic court or arraignment - they hung out 2 floors down)

Sadly, he's retired now - haven't been able to carry in court since.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Where in the RCW's or RCW 9.41.300 provide an exception for a Judge, Prosecutor or Attorney for that matter to carry into a court?

9.41.300(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

heresolong

Where in the RCW's or RCW 9.41.300 provide an exception for a Judge, Prosecutor or Attorney for that matter to carry into a court?

Dave, I think you're mixing up two stories. The original post says that the judge leaves his firearm in a lockbox. The commenter said that "many years ago" he carried. I think we can safely assume that either this pre-dated the law prohibiting firearms in court, or that he was working in another state.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
15 years ago (seems like yesterday) I was a prosecutor in a small county. I was talking with the judge before court, and as he was getting ready to put on his robes he inserted a mag into his Smith, racked the slide, made sure it was safe, holstered it, and clipped it to his belt.

I asked him if he'd mind if I carried in court, too. He said it was fine with him - he was only worried about bad guys carrying in court, and figured one more armed good guy was a good thing. (LEO's rarely appeared at traffic court or arraignment - they hung out 2 floors down)

Sadly, he's retired now - haven't been able to carry in court since.

9.41.300(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

Dave, I think you're mixing up two stories. The original post says that the judge leaves his firearm in a lockbox. The commenter said that "many years ago" he carried. I think we can safely assume that either this pre-dated the law prohibiting firearms in court, or that he was working in another state.

No heresolong, maybe I should have quoted the post by DCR, I did as you and other noticed in the OP the Judge was securing his firearm before entering the restricted areas.
Though in the comment by DCR it was a Judge was carrying in the Court Chambers and Court both prohibited by RCW and DCR as a prosecutor as well being in the same violation, maybe there is a privileged class?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Dave...no...

DCR lists no location...could be from anywhere...and RCW not apply.....

(Also, consider DCR has started only 3 posts since 2008, all in the Idaho forum and reading those 3 posts seems to have local knowledge of Idaho politics)

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
15 years ago (seems like yesterday)

• I was talking with the judge before court, and as he was getting ready to put on his robes he inserted a mag into his Smith, racked the slide, made sure it was safe, holstered it, and clipped it to his belt.
  • I asked him if he'd mind if I carried in court, too. He said it was fine with him.
  • He was only worried about bad guys carrying in court, and figured one more armed good guy was a good thing.
  • Sadly, he's retired now - haven't been able to carry in court since.

Dave...no...

DCR lists no location...could be from anywhere...and RCW not apply.....

This is posted in the Washington State forum and with out a statement of being else where one is to believe it was in this State.
There are several references to before court to in court on about each sentence he wrote, so yes the RCW's do apply.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This is posted in the Washington State forum and with out a statement of being else where one is to believe it was in this State.
There are several references to before court to in court on about each sentence he wrote, so yes the RCW's do apply.

No, I am afraid you are the only one to believe that it is IN Washington State. I took it as a story from a different time and a different state.

This is a clear example of why you frustrate people on this forum. You and you alone are trying to parse words to find something illegal when there is absolutely 100% no proof of their being anything illegal.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No, I am afraid you are the only one to believe that it is IN Washington State. I took it as a story from a different time and a different state.

This is a clear example of why you frustrate people on this forum. You and you alone are trying to parse words to find something illegal when there is absolutely 100% no proof of their being anything illegal.

What Forum are we in? Stories From the State of Washington in a thread about Vancouver, WA judge carries to court...uses lock box.
As with the vast majority of others when they discuss issues in another State they will stay in context of that State or make a statement of what State they are referring to.

Would it not be illegal for a Judge or Prosecutor in the State of Washington to carry a firearm in the Judges Chambers or Court? Can YOU CITE where they are legal to do so? Or is this just another pi$$ing contest because someone quoted another members post that if it was outside of Washington it should have been stated or the fact they are wrong for carrying into a court where prohibited by law?

Oh and psst "you do not speak for everyone"

APPROVEDBY.jpg

Last edited: