• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Awkward Situation at the Laboratory

rscottie

I am the manager of a sub-contractor to a large corporation.

We recently had to undergo additional background checks and drug screens for all that would be working. This included office staff and managers.

My wife, who is the office manager, and I went to do our drug screens together.

They took her back first then it was my turn.

The first thing they did was tell me to empty my pockets. I was carrying my .45 concealed iwb. I started emptying my pockets and told the lady I wasn't expecting to do that and that I had a firearm and did she want me to remove that too?

She did not seem to know what to do. I asked if I could take it back to the car and she said that once the process is started I cannot leave.

So, I took the whole firearm, holster and all and laid it on the counter with my wallet, keys, spare mag, etc. She said that it could not stay there as someone might take it. I then asked, well, if they may take my firearm, wouldn't they take my wallet too? Do you have a secure box? In frustration, she finally told me to just take it to the car like it was disgusting her.

As I came back in, I noticed the little sign about waist high prohibiting firearms (It was about a 3 inch square see-through sticker on tinted glass, very hard to see).

By the time I got back in, I was getting looks from everyone in the office and whispers as I walked to the bathroom to get them a sample.

I'm thinking they were whispers in admiration of my .45!

hermannr

This does not compute. What does what you have in your pockets have to do with a drug screen? (which, I personally feel is an afront to the 4th ammendment), also, what does your having a weapon, or not, have to do with a drug screen? That is bull.

I have had to take that test before too, never had a problem with anything in my pockets, or my carry. What you have in your pockets cannot neutralize what is in the sample....makes no sense.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This does not compute. What does what you have in your pockets have to do with a drug screen? (which, I personally feel is an afront to the 4th ammendment), also, what does your having a weapon, or not, have to do with a drug screen? That is bull.

I have had to take that test before too, never had a problem with anything in my pockets, or my carry. What you have in your pockets cannot neutralize what is in the sample....makes no sense.

Some government agencies do this to make sure someone is not hiding a vile of "good" urine from someone else which they are planning on using once in the head. My wife has seen this when she worked in the government.

rscottie

I have also taken DOT Drug Screens over the years and never once had to empty my pockets.

I do not like Drug Screens either but I had to submit in order to be allowed to keep my job.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I just had to take a drug screen, and since I was coming straight form the interview I had no weapon. At the drug screen place they had a lock box to put your stuff into while you were taking care of business.

Jack House

I just had to take a drug screen, and since I was coming straight form the interview I had no weapon. At the drug screen place they had a lock box to put your stuff into while you were taking care of business.
Yeah, they had a safe where I had to do mine. Makes a lot of sense to me, as someone else stated, people that know they wont pass, will take with them viles of good urine to substitute their own.

NoHadji

I have also taken DOT Drug Screens over the years and never once had to empty my pockets.

I do not like Drug Screens either but I had to submit in order to be allowed to keep my job.

Must be a private deal versus DOT test. I have taken DOT screens as well and just went into the stall and filled the cup, nothing about emptying pockets or other bullshizzle.

KBCraig

The only way to ensure the integrity of the test is to do a strip search, then watch the flow of urine directly into the bottle.

But, it's very hard to fake the proper temperature for urine. The screening bottle should have a temperature strip that shows if the urine is in the proper range, and that's going to cover almost every case of someone trying to introduce urine from a container.

Jack House

Actually, it's not that difficult. Keep the urine container in got water until just before the test. They already do test for temperature, but you they get around it. Only way is to have them fully remove all clothing and watch them piss into the bottle.

Posted using my HTCEvo via Tapatalk

carracer

Drug testing really irritates me! I understand why, and, have to undergo it at work also. HOWEVER, there are so many things that can testify to your lifestyle within the test it is a huge invasion of your privacy. For instance they can tell what brand coffee you drink. They say that they only test for the most common drugs and alcohol. Only the tester knows. They can test for untold number of things and only put the requested info on your companies report. Then sell the other results to other companies.

I have been told I have to give them my social security number. I have been told that I have to give them my drivers license. One time I covered my personal address and driver license number information with black tape and the guy went histaric!

Off topic, sorry, really irritates me.

Uber_Olafsun

Why was that? Were you reminded of a line from the old poster "Desiderata" ("Go placidly" - etc.) that said "Do not compare yourself to others as there will always be some greater or lessor than yourself."
:D

Nah the Internet can show you that. We had a few that could not go for hours because someone had to watch. Funny thing is because of the military I have no problems. I had a drug test for my company and they sounded all strict like they were going to watch like the military. I get to the place and tell them to hurry up I have to go and they just do the empty pocket thing.

rscottie

Personally, I wouldn't have said anything about the firearm. You were told to empty your pockets, not your waistband. ;)

She had already seen my spare mag and then had made me raise my shirt to show that nothing was in my waistband. They also required us to lift our pant legs up and show that nothing was in our socks.

There was no hiding my firearm.

rscottie

Having administered hundreds of them, I assure you that it would be very difficult to maintain urine in any container within the 4 degree zone on the temp strip.

Warning: eeeewwww factor....

My dad was telling me that his friend, who is a parole officer, told him that when he has to verify a parolee is not back on drugs, they have to watch for them sneaking in urine filled condoms stuffed in their rectum. They stick it there because it keeps it the proper temperature.

GhostOfJefferson

Some government agencies do this to make sure someone is not hiding a vile of "good" urine from someone else which they are planning on using once in the head. My wife has seen this when she worked in the government.

Which is silly. Oh, the silly games we play. Here's how I'd play the game, if I were Joe Stoner.

*wear loose fitting pants*
"Empty your pockets"
*takes out keys, wallet and some change, leaves vile in pocket*
"Ok, go give me a sample"
*ta da*

Some day, I really hope and pray, human beings will stop being interested in controlling other human beings. Or not. Probably not. :(

Polynikes

She had already seen my spare mag and then had made me raise my shirt to show that nothing was in my waistband. They also required us to lift our pant legs up and show that nothing was in our socks.

There was no hiding my firearm.

Ah, see, you left those details out. :p

gunns

Its against Minnesota law that employers make you take any kind of drug or alcohol test unless they have just cause, like trying to fire you, for suspicion of drug use. I know that sounds absurd but what if they tested you and found nothing, now we could sue.

Where I work the passed a rule requiring us to take them twice a year. We laughed at them and said "as soon as you get the state to OK it".