• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on traffic stop

digger490

I live in KY but was curious on IN laws and procedures. I was stopped last night on my motorcycle by a state trooper.As I got my license out I think he saw my CCDW and he asked me if I had a weapon and I told him yes in my rear pocket. He then told me to let him have the weapon and I said it was in my rear pocket did he want me to get it out or was he going to get it? He then reached in my pocket and removed the weapon and took it to his car. After everything was done he brought me my unloaded weapon and put it in my saddlebag, he wouldn't give it back to me.
Just curious about him taking the weapon, I dont think in KY they are supposed to do that but wasnt sure about IN.
Thanks

mark-in-texas

In Texas, if you're carrying when stopped, you have to inform the officer and he can temporarily disarm you for 'officer safety.'

I was recently stopped by a local PD. When I handed him my CHL he asked where my weapon was. I pointed out it was in the center console pocket between the seats. He said he wanted to secure it so I said ok, rolled the window up, turned off the car, got out, Locked the doors & put the keys in my pocket!! (I was alone) The look on his face was priceless!!:lol:

cce1302

In Indiana you don't have to tell the officer when you're carrying. Obviously, if you're open carrying, he'll know.

I don't think anybody has challenged confiscation during a traffic stop in Indiana.

It would be a good idea, I think, to tell him that you do not consent to a search, just to have it on record.

langzaiguy

In that position, I would request that the officer put the weapon in a safe place insight. If he takes it back to his car, I would do a FOIA request to determine whether or not the serial number was run. It's my opinion that unless the officer has RAS that the weapon was used in a crime or about to be, I don't think they can run the numbers.