• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEW MEMBER: Question about open carry for me and fellow military recently arrived.

Doc K

My name is Ian, and I've been stationed up here in Washington for a little while now, but only now am able to purchase a handgun. I pick up my first handgun; (Springfield XD) Friday, after the background check period. Myself, as well as fellow sailors who recently got guns in the wake up all this gun control BS are not sure of something.

We all are getting CWPs but in the mean time are going to be open carriers. We only found various answers to this question:

If a store such as Target, Walmart, or even Top Foods, Albertsons sells alcohol, but doesn't serve it, can we open carry there, as long as they don't tell us to leave? From my understanding, we can, but bars are off limits? We are not sure how this works out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

skeith5

The only regulation regarding liquor is that you can't carry into the areas designated as off limits to minors by the liquor control board. You are fine carrying in stores that sell it. Take a look at the gun laws pamphlet for Washington state, it's in a sticky on this forum.

Welcome to the forum!

Scott

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

EMNofSeattle

My name is Ian, and I've been stationed up here in Washington for a little while now, but only now am able to purchase a handgun. I pick up my first handgun; (Springfield XD) Friday, after the background check period. Myself, as well as fellow sailors who recently got guns in the wake up all this gun control BS are not sure of something.

We all are getting CWPs but in the mean time are going to be open carriers. We only found various answers to this question:

If a store such as Target, Walmart, or even Top Foods, Albertsons sells alcohol, but doesn't serve it, can we open carry there, as long as they don't tell us to leave? From my understanding, we can, but bars are off limits? We are not sure how this works out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, Albertson's and Wal-Mart are known OC friendly.
The law is this, and if you're new to firearms in this state, I suggest you look up RCW Title 9 Chapter 41, it's your new "orders to sentry" know it just like you know them

but here's the answer to your question

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:......

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age

As long as the establishment is not open only to age 21+ (which means they sell hard stuff for consumption on premises) it is OK. Lets say you're in the grocery store, you're OK. If you enter a restuarant that serves alcohol, you're still OK as long as the restaurant is open to all members of the public including minors, so if you're at Godfathers in the regular eating area where you can get a beer with your pizza you're good.

If the establishment has a cocktail lounge or bar, AND a public eating area, you can carry as long as you don't enter the lounge.

Final note, you cannot carry into a bar even if you have a CPL.

Trigger Dr

You can carry in ANY business that sells alcohol for consumption OFF thir property such as Safeway,Wal Mart etc. You can carry in an establishment that sells alcohol by the drink for consumption ON their property IF you are in the portion of the business that is OPEN to persons UNDER 21 years of age such as a resturant with a bar area. The bar area is NO CARRY and the dining area is OK to carry. However if asked to leave, you risk a charge of trespass if you do not leave.

EMNofSeattle

I'd like to note too, all bars and taverns are REQUIRED by the liqour control board to post this sign and This sign as well in a prominent location. if you see these signs you may not enter with your firearm unless you are a Washington law enforcement officer.

if those signs are posted STAY OUT unless you have somewhere safe to secure your firearm before entering.

Batousaii

Welcome !

Welcome Aboard, glad to have ya!
- P.S. My derringers name is "Doc" (after Doc Holliday)- lol :p

Attachments

• TA-38 L.jpg
    TA-38 L.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Zohan

What does one do when they are carrying in a restaurant and need to use the bathroom when the bathroom is located in the bar/lounge area designated as 21 and over?

-Z

EMNofSeattle

What does one do when they are carrying in a restaurant and need to use the bathroom when the bathroom is located in the bar/lounge area designated as 21 and over?

-Z

............find a vacant corner and an empty pepsi bottle and BE DISCRETE :lol:

dunno, but you are breaking the law if you enter the lounge, so i guess you're in a pickle. find a better restaurant?

DCKilla

I was kicked out of Paradise Bowl in Parkland six months ago. Owner's reasoning was that they served alcohol in the bowling area. The 21 and over area bar was marked with the required sign. The rest was obvious with many children in the building that his reasoning was bogus.

Mattimusmaximus

I was at a bowling ally on my birthday getting some of there famous food I enjoy when the owner comes over and asks if I'm goin to be there long.. I reply I just ordered food so yea.. He asked of there was a place I could put my gun or cover it up I said no I didn't have a CHL he said others were worried about me. I told him we'll I'm more concerned with the 6 year old throwing the ball backwards and about that time the kid broke the screen and my food came I ate then left and still go back there. He hasn't asked me to leave ever but talked with me every time I go in (Cedar hills mall Oregon)

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Mainsail

We all are getting CWPs but in the mean time are going to be open carriers.

Not in Washington you're not. Washington issues only a Concealed Pistol License. CWP allows concealed carry of weapons and is not recognized here.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned but remember that once you get in a motor vehicle you are no longer openly carrying; you'll need a valid CPL to carry your sidearm loaded in your car or on a bus.

I'm out at Keyport- let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
.........Also, I didn't see it mentioned but remember that once you get in a motor vehicle you are no longer openly carrying; you'll need a valid CPL to carry your sidearm loaded in your car or on a bus...............

This is Truth. Mainsail points out an important fact. OC is fine til you get in a vehicle. Inside the vehicle you must be "unloaded". You can put your pistol right back in the holster, just not with ammunition in it. This is unnecessary handling,yes, but it is the law. Be discreet when you reload upon exiting the vehicle. People get tight when they see weapons handled in a parking lot. Watch for "NDs" (no one has an accidental discharge). Once you have your CPL you can stay loaded all the time. Let me rephrase, you can keep the weapon loaded all the time.

And Welcome to OCDO and do continue to Open Carry after you get your CPL. It will help to make it the "new normal".

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

-Z

If the restaurant is open to those under 21 then you will not find the bathroom in the bar/lounge area. You will find a path to the bathroom without entering the bar/lounge.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Take time and read these links, several times to grasp all the information they provide.

Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry

Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:......​
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age​

Not all restaurants post their bar areas correctly it is areas where designated by the Liquor Control Board deems as off-limits to persons under 21. I have seen and still see from time to time where they (restaurants) have posted at the door but allow persons under the age of 21 come in, sit and eat. The Bar Area is where the restriction applies and in Washington these areas are surrounded by some type of barrier as seen in Applebee's their is a rail running around the bar area in the center and that is the only place that is off limits.
Then we are to it being a private business they can ask you to leave for any reason, and some who open carry in them are asked to leave and have no recourse except to not spend their money there.

Read and read again and then again concerning the laws in Washington State...

kparker

-Z

Report them to the health department--they aren't allowed to have their only bathroom be 21-and-over-only if they have areas open the general all-ages public.

dwordinger

I'd like to note too, all bars and taverns are REQUIRED by the liqour control board to post this sign and This sign as well in a prominent location. if you see these signs you may not enter with your firearm unless you are a Washington law enforcement officer.

if those signs are posted STAY OUT unless you have somewhere safe to secure your firearm before entering.

Guess I'm not very observant, but I had never noticed until now the sign at your second link has the line, "OR CONSUME ALCOHOL ON THIS PREMISES." Notice "this" is singular and "premises" is plural. Probably written by a government school graduate now working as a bureaucrat wanting to ban "high capacity clips," "semiautomatic assault rifles," and all the nonexistent-in-Washington "automatic weapons."

hermannr

Can I come to this party late? I OC'd in WA for over 25 years without a CPL. It can be done as an everyday thing, or as an everyday thing until, and even after, you have your CPL.

Cautions come in RCW 9.41.050, and RCW 9.41.300. Exemptions come in RCW 9.41.060. There are several good exemptions, so if you are covered by one when in a Vehicle, don't bother unloading, even before you have your CPL. Know these sections exceptionaly well.

The prohibition, without a CPL, (or an .060 exemption) is only that you not have your carry loaded in a vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less. When you receive your CPL, you can continue to OC, (or cc) the only change is you can OC loaded in a vehicle.

Personal advice/opinion. invest in a GOOD belt and holster. Do not skimp. It will serve you for years, so, in the long run, top drawer equipment is inexpensive. Never act like a Nervous Nelly. If you know the law you should be confident in your mode of carry. I have OC'd since 1970 and have never been hasseled...every. The only time I conceal is if the weather is bad and I have a coat on. When you OC, you check your weapon with your elbow. If you have a top quality holster: 1: it CANNOT fall out...physically not possible...and 2: (at least my holster) cannot be grabbed from the rear and pulled out...My BIL tried, and I was letting him try...he finally said...Ok, where is the secret button...no button, just the way the holster was made (for my specific weapon)

Last edited:

Doc K

This is Truth. Mainsail points out an important fact. OC is fine til you get in a vehicle. Inside the vehicle you must be "unloaded". You can put your pistol right back in the holster, just not with ammunition in it. This is unnecessary handling,yes, but it is the law. Be discreet when you reload upon exiting the vehicle. People get tight when they see weapons handled in a parking lot. Watch for "NDs" (no one has an accidental discharge). Once you have your CPL you can stay loaded all the time. Let me rephrase, you can keep the weapon loaded all the time.

And Welcome to OCDO and do continue to Open Carry after you get your CPL. It will help to make it the "new normal".

So let me get this straight, just to verify. I can have a round in the chamber, when outside my car, but once in my car, I can carry open, but no round in chamber or magazine, right? Thanks!

jt59

I was kicked out of Paradise Bowl in Parkland six months ago. Owner's reasoning was that they served alcohol in the bowling area. The 21 and over area bar was marked with the required sign. The rest was obvious with many children in the building that his reasoning was bogus.

Hmmm, this is an odd one that I have found too. I think it may be part of some discussion that the bowling owners association must have had in one of their meetings or something. I bowl at Towers on 6th, and they have these overhead screens that rotate advertising. Along with that, are the "signs" regarding liquor and it being a 21 only area ...but kids are everywhere....I'll talk to this owner and see what she says.