• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COSTCO Corporate Formally Bans Firearms

since9

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, it appears Costco Corporate has bought into the insanely stupid anti-gun crowd mentality of the blitheringly idiotic left. Their membership page specifically states, "Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers."

That applies throughout all their stores in the United States.

Perhaps they did this in response to the Sterling Shooting:

When asked whether he believed five shots was excessive, Loudoun Commonwealth's Attorney Jim Plowman said "even after [Scott] was struck four times she continued to walk the floor for a little bit." According to the report detailing the incident, Scott had no reaction to the first shot. Unsure of whether he hit her, the deputy fired again. She then fell to the ground with both weapons still clutched in her hands.​

Well, which is it? Did "she continue to walk the floor for a little bit" or did she "fall to the ground" at the second shot? If so, why was she shot five times if the second shot successfully stopped her?

Of the four deputies that responded to the store at Price Cascades Parkway, one was struck in the leg by one of the five shots fired during the incident. Plowman said it's likely the deputy was struck by a ricocheting bullet, but it's not exactly known how he was hit.​

Oh, hey - nice shooting, Tex! By the way, JHP bullets that impact center body mass do not ricochet. Very few ever do penetrate, and of those that do, there's not enough of the bullet or velocity left to do more than cause minor injury. Regardless, with "protection" like that, who needs criminals?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Until Costco reviews the findings from the Centers for Disease Control report on Gun Violence in America[SUP]1[/SUP] and revise their position to match reality -- armed citizens make for a polite society -- I will not be renewing my membership. As with all so-called "gun-free zones," Costco is no longer safe!

[SUP]1[/SUP]Guns are used for self-defense often and effectively. Specifically, “Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year … in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008,” says the report. The three million figure is probably high, “based on an extrapolation from a small number of responses taken from more than 19 national surveys.” But a much lower estimate of 108,000 also seems fishy, “because respondents were not asked specifically about defensive gun use.” Furthermore, “Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was 'used' by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”

Last edited:

randian

Because of a shooting by LEO they want to ban non-LEO patrons from carrying? That's truly bizarre.

Bernymac

Because of a shooting by LEO they want to ban non-LEO patrons from carrying? That's truly bizarre.

No. COSTCO has never been gun friendly. Their reasoning is probably more bizarre and full of faulty logic than we can surmise. The most bizarre thing is that the company continue to thrive, despite its anti-gun stand. Same with Starbucks and a lot of other anti-gun companies. Such is life.

cjohnson44546

Um... This is all old news. Costco has banned lawfully carried firearms from their "members" for as long as I can remember. It's in their contracts.

its not. The membership agreement I signed never mentions this at all, and no store I've ever been to has been posted. They want to ignore it so people who conceal can just be safely ignored, but they can claim a "policy" if someone complains or they get into "legal" issues.

solus

its not. The membership agreement I signed never mentions this at all, and no store I've ever been to has been posted. They want to ignore it so people who conceal can just be safely ignored, but they can claim a "policy" if someone complains or they get into "legal" issues.

the agreement you signed and the signage at the entrance, you are agreeing to their security policies ~ small print no firearms!!

pushed the issue, told it is corp policy, insisted on and took all my membership monies back from the MOD and never visited another costco...SAMs is soo much accommodating!!!

ipse

Last edited:

Maverick9

Around here I think they'd be astonished at the number of people carrying firearms in the store.

Just a guess...

jackrockblc

I carry in their stores all the time. I'm not in a position to change to Sam's Club (one of the battles I never win with my wife), so I just conceal. I think the locations around here realize the futility of posting signs, so I haven't seen any at a Costco in some time.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I too thought COSTCO's anti-2A was well known. It has been a victim disarmament zone since I became active in modern 2A back in 2006. But corporate policy and store enforcement policy do not seem to always be the same.

I suspect the enforcement is store by store dependent in reality. I have CC in MO locations while printing and have noted others doing the same and nobody said a word. But had I been OC (which wasn't legal back then) I think it would have been a different story. I have also been to one in FL with my in-laws and I think I was the only one not carrying in there. Again, no OC, but those older folks print like Gutenberg sometimes.

utbagpiper

Banned
Costco's corporate policy against guns has been in force since at least 2000 when I got a membership. Their stores in Utah are not posted and it wouldn't matter if they were. Private business policies against guns have no force of law in Utah. No crime is committed if one carries into a store in violation of store policies. Refusal to leave if asked could result in a trespass charge. I've never been asked to leave.

I don't remember a trip to Costco when I didn't legally carry a gun. If I'm OCing that day, I will untuck my shirt to cover the top of the gun/holster and I've never had anyone say a word. During winter months, I generally CCC as I'm not much interested in wearing a gun belt over my coat. If I'm OCing or CCCing, I'm carrying a CC BUG. If I'm not OCing or CCCing, I'm still carrying the CC gun. Again, never had anyone say a word. I do not know whether this is due to lack of seeing the poorly "concealed" gun, or to just not caring.

I respect those who boycott Costco or any other merchant over an anti-RKBA position. But for me, the benefits of Costco membership are too large to forego over a Corporate policy that has gone no further to actively attack my RKBA than to have an unenforced "no gun" policy in their stores and to support left wing politicians (as opposed to the right wing politicians who attack my RKBA). I believe the time and money I save shopping at Costco for the items they carry can be better applied to advancing RKBA than would be any benefit of denying Costco that money and spending more time and more money buying those items at other locations.

Should Costco move to using their profits to actively attack my RKBA, I would have to re-evaluate my calculations on this one.

Charles

FTG-05

No. COSTCO has never been gun friendly. Their reasoning is probably more bizarre and full of faulty logic than we can surmise. The most bizarre thing is that the company continue to thrive, despite its anti-gun stand. Same with Starbucks and a lot of other anti-gun companies. Such is life.

How could you possibly call it bizarre that they stay in business? Look at all the so-called gun owners - and presumably 2nd Amendment supporters - in this thread alone that rationalize their continued support and a clearly anti-2nd amendment company.

Excellent example of gun owners being their own worse enemy. :banghead:

cjohnson44546

I see it says it on the website… I'll ask them about it and probably cancel my membership, don't really need them anyways.

When I signed up a few years ago it was never mentioned in the agreement, and of the 4 Costcos I've been in I always carry and never saw signs saying anything else. This link to their website is the first proof I've seen they are anti-gun other than people just claiming they have been in forums.

utbagpiper

Banned
How could you possibly call it bizarre that they stay in business? Look at all the so-called gun owners - and presumably 2nd Amendment supporters - in this thread alone that rationalize their continued support and a clearly anti-2nd amendment company.

Excellent example of gun owners being their own worse enemy. :banghead:

And where do you shop that isn't anti-RKBA to one degree or another? I am not aware of any major retailers that do not prohibit their employees from carrying. Or is it ok to patronize a business that leaves their employees defenseless so long as they have any position on you carrying?

Do you refuse to work for an employer who has an anti-gun policy? Or is it ok to contribute to the profit margin of some company that doesn't allow you to carry guns on the job?

Do you check the gun policies of the service providers who send out employees to work on your AC, plumbing, trim trees, or put in new concrete? Did the contractor who built your home have a policy respecting the ability of his employees to carry firearms on the job?

Does your favorite pizza delivery joint allow its drivers to carry firearms?

Does Tennessee have constitutional carry? How it adopted State preemption over federal laws regarding the intra-State manufacture of guns as has Montana? How many restrictions on RKBA are you supporting by living in and paying taxes to a State that doesn't perfectly respect your RKBA?

I believe that excepting possibly those who live in an area with an abundance of small, locally owned shops, and don't travel much, odds are that most all of us routinely patronize and/or work for companies that have less than perfect policies on RKBA and self-defense. Each of us has to determine where to draw the line.

I can respect those who draw the line in a different place than I do when it comes to boycotts.

I have a hard time with those who presume anyone who draws the line in a slightly different place than they do is some kind of "enemy".

Charles

Last edited:

OC for ME

Sam's Club...eight located in UT in approximate locations to the nine Costcos. Starting down in Provo up north past SLC, options are available.

Brand name(s0 Kirkland vs. Simply Right, Artisan Fresh and Daily Chef, formerly Member's Mark.

I left Costco long long ago.

boundlessdyad

I carry in Costco (concealed) and will continue to do so. Store policy doesn't change law. I am law abiding, store rules don't change that.

utbagpiper

Banned
Sam's Club...eight located in UT in approximate locations to the nine Costcos. ...

I left Costco long long ago.

To each his own.

Does Sam's club allow their employees to carry? Why are you ok patronizing a store that doesn't respect their employee's safety?

Do the profits from Sam's club ever end up getting donated to anti-gun politicians?

protias

I carry in Costco (concealed) and will continue to do so. Store policy doesn't change law. I am law abiding, store rules don't change that.

And who has the moral high ground when a company is well known for their position against firearms? The anti-gun crowd or pro-liberty crowd? If the antis see it, they'll just lump all of us together saying we break company x's policy.

boundlessdyad

And who has the moral high ground when a company is well known for their position against firearms? The anti-gun crowd or pro-liberty crowd? If the antis see it, they'll just lump all of us together saying we break company x's policy.

Not sure what you mean? It is concealed when I am in Costco so the antis wont see it. I am not flaunting moral superiority or even trying to make a point about 2A. For me it is just a personal choice. I feel protecting my loved ones is more important than obeying a store policy.