• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Rifle in Car, etc.

TechnoWeenie

It is perfectly legal to make a pistol into a rifle, but it is illegal to turn it back into a pistol. Once a rifle it cannot be made into a pistol.

PM me if you want to me to delete this quote.

See US v. Thompson Center Arms(USSC case IIRC)

Thompson made a pistol, as a kit that included a buttstock, and a 16" barrel, allowing the user to attach the barrel and then the buttstock thereby making a legal rifle. Attaching the buttstock with the pistol barrel constituted an SBR, and ATF attempted to sue Thompson for back taxes (they never paid for 'making an SBR'). USSC ruled FOR Thompson, saying that constructive possession did NOT apply, because it was designed primarily as a pistol, and the longer barrel and buttstock were spare parts to put it into a legal configuration.

Once MADE as a rifle, it cannot be MADE as a pistol.

It is MADE a pistol by registration, features, barrel length, etc. it can then be turned into a rifle configuration, and back.

The logic (if there is any) is that pistols are regulated more. So theoretically an 18 y/o could buy a rifle and put on a pistol grip and cut down the barrel and he'd legally own a pistol under 21, which is a no-go. Now if he BUYS a pistol, puts a long barrel on it and a buttstock, it's now in a legal rifle configuration, he can then remove the longer barrel and buttsock and return it to the pistol configuration.

My lower was transferred as an 'other',and simultaneously registered in the state as a pistol, and made AS a pistol.

That being said, I don't have a buttstock or rifle upper, so it hasn't been configured that way. I will NOT be getting a buttstock until I get another RIFLE lower, in which case any parts I have would be considered spare parts, and can't be viewed in any way as constructive possession.

I WOULD SBR it, except the dumb WA laws....

I still don't F'in understand what a 200$ 'tax stamp' has to do with a buttstock and a short barrel.. W T F...

uncon.jpg

k.rollin

Aw c'mon, shooting from the hip is always best! All those movie guys do it, and it makes then never miss or run out of ammo :banana:

I need to get me one of those magic movie guns. Then I'd have more money for school supplies and such. Also, reminded me of RTT-CQB Man's high speed, low drag method of getting headshots all the time (1:13).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL4soX9ml2E

shad0wfax

I need to get me one of those magic movie guns. Then I'd have more money for school supplies and such. Also, reminded me of RTT-CQB Man's high speed, low drag method of getting headshots all the time (1:13).

Your eyes have to be like EOTechs to do that. Only the alpha-males of King's Bay, GA have eyes like EOTechs.

Trigger Dr

When I was a kid with a paper route in Montana, Hoot Gibson (B grade western movie actor) was at the local office. I asked how he could shoot that much with out reloading. His answer..."When you see me shoot the other guy is loading when you see him shoot I am reloading"

k.rollin

It's the buffer tube. The foam bit is there to make it a bit more comfortable for your cheek when you shoot. That's an AR platform pistol by the way, without a stock, it is not a rifle, which is why it is legal to own in WA, and in free states there is no $200 NFA tax stamp.

Last edited:

k.rollin

The reason for the Sig 556 pistol's lack of a buffer tube is the difference between the operating systems of the AR pistol and itself. The Sig is piston driven whereas the AR relies on a Direct Impingement gas system.

TechnoWeenie

The reason for the Sig 556 pistol's lack of a buffer tube is the difference between the operating systems of the AR pistol and itself. The Sig is piston driven whereas the AR relies on a Direct Impingement gas system.

Mine is piston driven as well :D

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Here's one without the buffer tube.

sig556pistolrgt.jpg

Conceals pretty well on an underarm sling. For those situations where you might want "just a little more" than what you get with a pistol.

I do not think I would open carry this mainly because the thought of seeing a bad guy loose control of all his bodily functions if this came out for self defense :banana:

skiingislife725

I was able to conceal my AR pistol under my down jacket. Only did it to show my buddy at his house though. It's pretty hard to sit down with basically a board from your neck to your waist. As far as shooting the AR pistol for accuracy, check this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIC8SMttjjo

And Karl, you got gas in your face because my gas block had a giant hole in it. lol (Didn't know it at the time)

k.rollin

I haven't shot that thing since way back when you had to hand cycle it after nearly every shot. I don't think you actually ran my rifle yet either; we'll have to get together for a range trip again sometime and do that.

amlevin

The Sig just mounts the "buffer" differently. The "buffer' is no different than the spring under the slide of a semi-auto pistol. On the AR-15 it just happens to be behind the bolt carrier. Has nothing to do with it being "piston operated". It does make it easier to design and build but an auto rifle with "direct impingement" gas operating systems can be built with no rear buffer. Here's one example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAS-49

For the record, direct gas impingement is used to simplify the design of the rifle. It also provides for better control under full auto. Gas piston systems still need to be cleaned and having carried both the M-14 and M-16 I prefer the latter.