• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shreveport/North Louisiana get-together! 1/12

HeroHog

What kind of time frame are you aiming for?After the holidays? Before the holidays?
Soon would be nice and late too! :lol: I wanted to have a location set by now but I caught the cold/flue crud and am under the weather right now... :(

KBCraig

Sorry that I'm just now replying to this thread. I first read it at work, but laopencarry is blocked by their insane firewall rules, so I couldn't read the link.

I don't know of any venues other than possibly Shoney's or Catfish King. Almost every other eatery in town serves alcohol, unless you want to try to gather in a fast food joint.

I'm not as up to speed on LA laws as I should be... what about parks? Betty Virginia, Querbes, South Shreveport Community... none of them are great neighborhoods, but the parks are nice. Duck Ponds?

If not for the alcohol thing, I'd vote 1,000% for the patio at Crawdaddy's Kitchen on S. Mansfield. Best crawfish and seafood in town, plenty of room at the picnic tables, sports on the TVs, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Cassio would welcome us.

Almost any Saturday is good for me, any time of day. We'll be passing through this Saturday afternoon and picking up a friend, heading down to Natchitoches to meet more friends and see the lights (and buy some fresh cracklins!)

Organizing a meet-up really isn't democratic. Feedback is good, but success mostly depends on picking a date and a place and publicizing it. If it works, it will grow. If there's no growth after several attempts, back up and start again.

I look forward to a date/time announcement.

HeroHog

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into that for sure! I am still under the weather but should get the leg work done this weekend/early next week and post the results here.

KBCraig

Trip report: we went to Natchitoches and saw the lights. Brake lights, mostly, with the occasional flashing blue light. City of 18,000 people and 60,000 cars, apparently, on any given Saturday in December.

Didn't OC, because I preferred the .38 in a pocket holster for the 9 hour round trip (including stops along the way).

We'll be back down Natchitoches way in January for a proper tour with our friends who live there. My wimmens want to do the whole Steel Magnolias thing, which should leave time for me and Little Man to stroll Front Street and the park area.

I'm still up for any S'port gathering if it's a date I can make it.

rugersr9c

Try johnnys catfish and seafood on Bert Kouns.They have a meeting room that holds about 60 people.No alcohol.Good fish.

HeroHog

The owner/manager Rory at:

Johnny's Catfish & Seafood
5130 Bert Kouns Industrial LP
Shreveport, LA 71129-4842
(318) 686-3695
Open Mon-Thu 11am-9pm; Fri-Sat 11am-10pm

Has graciously invited us to use his establishment for our meetings and any day but Tuesday is fine with him so we have our meeting place! :banana:

Now we need a date and time. I propose Wednesday, January the 12th at 8:00 pm for our initial meeting. I would like a head-count for our reservation so please RSVP.

Open Carry is allowed but if you carry at all is up to you and you alone. I do request one thing, NO ONE is to handle any firearms while in the establishment! If you MUST show some one your gun out of its holster, PLEASE do it in the privacy of your vehicles! We need to be good stewards and put forward a positive face representing gun owners and carriers.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When you have the basics in order start a clean thread and ask for a sticky.

Be sure to include the date in the title - makes it easier on administrator.

bushwacker

petro visit

I am a trucker that has recently been laidover at the petro truck stop in shreveport ,la and after two days of open carring I was approched by an officer (with her hand on her gun)who told me that I could not carry a gun that I had to be with some sort of agency . Of course i informed her that louisiana is an open carry state and that i wasn't breaking any laws, she then wasn't certain of her position then started with the ole (i said ) spill and didn't want to discuss it. then she claimed that I couldn't bring my gun in the building.I then mentioned that there was no signage on building ,door ,window that made that statement. I was then informed that I was not to bring it back into the building and not allowed back in and that i was free to go ( didn't know that I was being detained) i then asked if concelled was ok, she said she didn't want to discuss it That i heard what she said. so I went and put my gun back in the truck and got my travelers guide to take to her to show where my understanding of carrying in louisiana came from. however when i approched her in the store all she could do was raise her voice and told me to leave that she didn't want to see what i had and if I didn't have somewhere to go she was going to give me somewhere to go.that was about 1 am sunday . I later ran into her and was able to discuss a little about this and let her read what I had she then admitted that she wasn't up on carrying laws but knows that i cant open carry in a building and that i can go back in and if i carry, it better be conceled. now this is a shreveport officer.that says no open carry but it better be conceled.So why are POLICE OFFICERS NOT BETTER INFORMED ON THESE ISSUES IN THEIR TRAINING? just a note ... there had been several officers that seen me open carry, and said nothing even the other female officer that works in that store said nothing when she saw me. however it looked like she was looking it up on her Ipod before she made to decision to let it slide, i don't know for sure. So on the suggestions of where a good place is to meet I would say the petro they have good food , is a good place for out of staters to see the exercising of 2nd amendment, and just might better inform some local law officers. if it is decided to meet there, I just hope that I am passing thru and stop in at that time

Last edited:

sraacke

Bushwacker,
Open Carry has been legal in La forever. The Shreveport PD has been reminded of this. Last year LOCAL sent the following letter to Every Parish Sheriff and several Law Enforcement Agencies including Shreveport PD.
Dear [ Chief/Sheriff/Superintendent],

This letter is to introduce you to our organization, Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). We are a gun rights group, primarily concerned with educating citizens about their right to openly carry firearms in accordance with the Louisiana state constitution, the United States Constitution, and all applicable laws.

While it has always been a right to bear arms, current social and political climates have increased the legal carriage of firearms by citizens nationally. This has resulted in increased interactions between law-abiding citizens and law enforcement officers. Sometimes these encounters result in the infringement of these citizen's rights to legally open carry a firearm. While we believe this is more often a training issue than malfeasance on the part of the officer, our goal is to educate all parties so that both the citizen and the law enforcement agency are protected.

Nationally, the most common complaint from citizens who lawfully open carry is the apparent lack of knowledge by members of law enforcement of its legality. While no single officer will know all the laws, the members of LOCAL believe that all officers should know it is lawful to openly carry a firearm in Louisiana.

We thank you for your time and hope that awareness and proper response of gun related issues will become a permanent part of your academy and in-service training programs. Please know that LOCAL is available at any time to discuss these important issues and to be of assistance in any way that we can.

Enclosed you will find a copy of our educational pamphlet and we invite you to visit our website at http://www.laopencarry.org.

Be safe.

Jerry McBride
President, Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
There is simply no excuse for this officer's lack of knowlege on the subject.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bushwacker,
Open Carry has been legal in La forever. The Shreveport PD has been reminded of this. Last year LOCAL sent the following letter to Every Parish Sheriff and several Law Enforcement Agencies including Shreveport PD.

Dear [ Chief/Sheriff/Superintendent],

This letter is to introduce you to our organization, Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). We are a gun rights group, primarily concerned with educating citizens about their right to openly carry firearms in accordance with the Louisiana state constitution, the United States Constitution, and all applicable laws.

While it has always been a right to bear arms, current social and political climates have increased the legal carriage of firearms by citizens nationally. This has resulted in increased interactions between law-abiding citizens and law enforcement officers. Sometimes these encounters result in the infringement of these citizen's rights to legally open carry a firearm. While we believe this is more often a training issue than malfeasance on the part of the officer, our goal is to educate all parties so that both the citizen and the law enforcement agency are protected.

Nationally, the most common complaint from citizens who lawfully open carry is the apparent lack of knowledge by members of law enforcement of its legality. While no single officer will know all the laws, the members of LOCAL believe that all officers should know it is lawful to openly carry a firearm in Louisiana.

We thank you for your time and hope that awareness and proper response of gun related issues will become a permanent part of your academy and in-service training programs. Please know that LOCAL is available at any time to discuss these important issues and to be of assistance in any way that we can.

Enclosed you will find a copy of our educational pamphlet and we invite you to visit our website at http://www.laopencarry.org.

Be safe.

Jerry McBride
President, Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
There is simply no excuse for this officer's lack of knowlege on the subject.

Excellent letter!