• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man says SPD conceals dashcam videos, launches website to help defendants

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/seattle/Man-sues-says-SPD-conceals-dash-cam-videos-131237804.html

Here is a tool that Open/Concealed Carriers can search the Seattle PD for their Police Videos to include for their responses.

http://seattlepolicevideo.com/

I am sure many remember a while back where a person was arrested in Seattle for playing Urban Golf with foam golf balls and when he refused to show ID he was arrested and has filed suit.
The issue comes about not only did they violate his 4th Amendment Rights, Seattle PD lied about them having a recording of the incident.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Birk is the officer who shot the woodcarver. The incident you are referring to happened by the Cinerama theatre downtown if I remember correctly.

That particular officer has a history of problem arrests etc. but I don't remember his name.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
The creator of the site linked in the OP is my favorite person of the day. Great work. That is exactly how to react to governmental malfeasance.

PS. Note the list of name and badge numbers from the linked page as a handy reference.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
If a citizen can do a "ride-a-long" with police, why not take that one step further and send the dashcam video to stream on the internet strait away. It is my camera, he is working for me, let us all "ride-a-long"

massivedesign

If a citizen can do a "ride-a-long" with police, why not take that one step further and send the dashcam video to stream on the internet strait away. It is my camera, he is working for me, let us all "ride-a-long"

Because that would be a huge invasion of privacy to the people on the other end of the camera. There needs to be the ability to redact personal and confidential information, live streaming doesn't do that.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Because that would be a huge invasion of privacy to the people on the other end of the camera. There needs to be the ability to redact personal and confidential information, live streaming doesn't do that.

The cameras would only capture information that can be seen in public, would it not? not sure what information you are talking about here that would be considered confidential.

Though I do feel it would not be practical to live stream video in all area's.

Last edited:

amlevin

The cameras would only capture information that can be seen in public, would it not? not sure what information you are talking about here that would be considered confidential.

It is possible that personal information could be revealed in a live streamed video. Any interview that's conducted in the camera's view, with audio, could reveal personal information like address, Social Security Number, or any other such information related to the officer verbally.

dadada

Interviewing a rape victim would be one case that you wouldn't want streamed, until it's been determined whether it actually happened. The interviews aren't neccessarily in public, often occuring inside of someone home, an ER, back of an ambulance, etc... Besides violation of Hipaa if inside an ER or hospital, How would you like someone accusing you of raping a child, having not done it, yet having the accusations streamed across the net for anyone to see, but not the follow up work that exonerates you? Nothing like having a false accusation broadcast unchecked and unverified.

JoeSparky

Centurion

The systems that I am familiar with will capture ANY audio that is audible from inside the cruiser... so any radio traffic or conversations held just outside the cars open windows or doors. Locally, I've heard SSnumbers, addresses, names, ages, dob's, and negative descriptions of a late teenaged girl found in the car with her boyfriend at a local park after park curfew all after her name, age, and dob where transmitted from dispatch to the LEO on scene.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
My post were in reference to "Dash Cam Videos" as in the Story and is dealing with public recordings, and is there an expectation of privacy in public where a Dash Cam would capture audio and video?

I am not a proponent of streaming live Dash Cam video but I am when it comes ensuring qualifying information be made available.

Is an Officer in the field going to ask for your SSN or conduct an interview of a Rape Victim on a Dash Cam.

Let there be no mistake that I want a persons identifiable information protected but it surprising what is allowed.

As in many threads the original elements are either altered, changed to being added or removed and when responding to another and is quoted often results in a battle.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The systems that I am familiar with will capture ANY audio that is audible from inside the cruiser... so any radio traffic or conversations held just outside the cars open windows or doors. Locally, I've heard SSnumbers, addresses, names, ages, dob's, and negative descriptions of a late teenaged girl found in the car with her boyfriend at a local park after park curfew all after her name, age, and dob where transmitted from dispatch to the LEO on scene.

I highly doubt the issue of SSN being transmitted over a Police Frequency but Name, DOB, Address and have heard phone numbers myself, but are not issues of privacy nor restricted information, do you not think the ACLU would be all over this if it was?

So here we dive into what one wants it to be and what is now, I play in the now and work towards a better tomorrow.

TechnoWeenie

I highly doubt the issue of SSN being transmitted over a Police Frequency1

It happens a lot more often than you think.

You don't need to rifle through garbage cans to get personal info.'

If you listen to a scanner, you can hear name/ss/dob/address,etc.. all u need to run credit.