• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC around VCU

GDBaum

Alright, as a student of VCU, I'm aware that their policies prevent me from carrying a firearm onto campus. I strictly follow that policy when I go to classes and when I'm not at class I avoid campus property if I am OC. My concern is that VCU has claimed their "core campus" to include city blocks where VCU doesn't own any buildings. Here's a map of what VCU apparently considers the campus (black outline):

http://www.police.vcu.edu/docs/MonroeParkMap.pdf

I'm sure that OC isn't banned entirely within that outlined area as The Cary Street Mini Mart II (our second store), a public park, and several residential blocks are all within that area. I'd mostly like to know if sidewalks and other public thoroughfares can be considered VCU property if they are within the "campus proper".

I'd like to be able to carry change and product between our two stores while OC without having to worry about the legality.

Cheers.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's a good question GD.

For me, it's not a problem and I've never had a problem OC'ing. Smoking is another thing.
It's become a ritual for me to walk around MCV smoking a cigarette just to aggravate the VCU Police.

They claim to own or control the sidewalks and in some instances, the streets.
We had a member who was a patient at MCV that dragged his IV Stand out on the sidewalk to smoke. The Cops told him he had yo go across the street but would arrest him for taking the stand there. The Chief claimed it wasn't true when I called him on it.:lol:

Legally, you're OK as long as you stay off of VCU Property but as a student, there is always the possibility that they could take disciplinary action and unless you have a pocket full of lawyers, you're in trouble.

There are students that do it. VCU has a small SCCC group and I expect they've mapped out free Richmond from VCUland.
There are or were VCU students that are members here. Hopefully one will shed some light on the subject.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Unless the city of Richmond has abandoned a street or sidewalk, it is not VCU property. For example, Shafer Court was abandoned by the City eons ago when it became "landlocked" by VCU. Records of any abandonment would be available from the City - my guess is the first place to go is the City Engineer's office. I think I just might make this a project, but will need assistance publishing a graphic of the results.

It is quite possible that the VCU Police intentionally confuse concurrent law enforcement jurisdiction with "VCU property". I have run into that in front of their headquarters building on a time or two, as well as on a few other sidewalks in the area.

We need to have User chime in about the different hats a person might wear during the day - you are clearly a VCU student when going to, sitting in, and going from a class. But are you still under the thrall of their policies when you are an employee of the Cary Street Mini-Market? Are you still under the thrall of their policies when you go visit grandma three states away?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I just did a bit of searching to figure out how to do this. Amazingly, it is going to be a cakewalk!

Stay tuned for more details - probably within the week.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why is VCU the only university specifically mentioned in the state code to be a GFZ?

It's not mentioned in the "state code" - The Code of Virginia of 1959, as amended.

It's in the Virginia Administrative Code (VAC). There are those who are of the opinion that enacting VAC regarding such things is a large over-stepping of the authority granted to the Board of Visitors by the General Assembly. To date there does not appear to be anyone the Attorney General is obliged to give an opinion to who wants to ask the AG for an opinion on that matter. Part of the reason for that is because nobody is sure what the AG's Opinion would be. While Opinions are not controlling, they carry a lot of weight.

Part of the plan of action is to extend the firearms preemption law from just local units of government to include all state agencies. That would require the General Assembly to either specifically grant authority to the BoV or to pass laws dealing with the subject.

Welcome to the fray.

stay safe.

PS - VCU is not the only university to have created violent criminal actor empowerment zones via the VAC.

2a4all

It's not mentioned in the "state code" - The Code of Virginia of 1959, as amended.

It's in the Virginia Administrative Code (VAC). There are those who are of the opinion that enacting VAC regarding such things is a large over-stepping of the authority granted to the Board of Visitors by the General Assembly. To date there does not appear to be anyone the Attorney General is obliged to give an opinion to who wants to ask the AG for an opinion on that matter. Part of the reason for that is because nobody is sure what the AG's Opinion would be. While Opinions are not controlling, they carry a lot of weight.

Part of the plan of action is to extend the firearms preemption law from just local units of government to include all state agencies. That would require the General Assembly to either specifically grant authority to the BoV or to pass laws dealing with the subject.

Welcome to the fray.

stay safe.

PS - VCU is not the only university to have created violent criminal actor empowerment zones via the VAC.

I found 9 such institutions with "No Carry Regulations" listed in the VAC.

GMU Regulations
Longwood U Regulations
ODU Regulations
UVA Regulations
VCU Regulations
VMI Regulations
VSU Regulations
VT Regulations
W & M Regulations

Last edited: