• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 firearms related bills in Tennessee

RickTN

State Researcher
This is taken directly form the NRA-ILA page

The 2013 session of the Tennessee General Assembly is off to a good start with several pro-gun bills being introduced. Even though last session ended on a sour note, your NRA-ILA is confident that we can take many legislative steps this year to further protect the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Tennesseans. The following pro-gun bills have been introduced:
•House Bill 6, sponsored by state Representative Eric Watson (R-22), would allow K-12 school personnel to possess a firearm on school property if the person has a handgun carry permit, is authorized by the school superintendent, has had 40 hours of basic school policing training and uses frangible bullets.
•House Bill 9, sponsored by state Representative William Lamberth (R-44), makes all information contained in and pertaining to a handgun carry permit application or renewal application and the status of a handgun carry permit confidential and not open for public inspection. State Senator Ferrell Haile (R-18) has sponsored the Senate companion bill, Senate Bill 108.
•House Bill 10, sponsored by state Representative Jeremy Faison (R-11), prohibits the allocation of state or local public funds to the regulation or enforcement of any federal law, executive order, rule or regulation that becomes effective on or after January 1, 2013, that imposes restrictions on citizens who lawfully possess or carry firearms in Tennessee. Senate Bill 40 is the companion bill.
•House Bill 108, sponsored by state Representative Sheila Butt (R-64), provides that a public or private employer cannot require an applicant for employment or an employee to disclose information about the ownership or storage of a firearm in the applicant or employee's vehicle.
•House Bill 118, sponsored by Representative Jeremy Faison (R-11), allows those with a valid handgun carry permit to transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the permit holder’s privately-owned motor vehicle in public or private parking areas under certain conditions. Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey (R-4) has filed Senate Bill 142, the companion bill to HB 118.
•Senate Bill 76, sponsored by state Senator Stacey Campfield (R-7), limits the number of handgun carry permit records that can be reproduced in a single day to fifteen.
•Senate Bill 77, also sponsored by Senator Campfield, allows certain persons employed by a local education agency as a faculty or staff member at a K-12 school to possess and carry a firearm.

Ken56

Very positive news. Wife and I are considering moving to Tenn. by the end of this year. I am retired and Tenn. is way more favorable tax wise for us than Michigan. My CPL is due for renewal this may so can I delay getting my Tenn permit untill my Mich. one expires again? I know if I become a resident its probably recommended that I convert my licence to a Tenn. permit. The geniuses here in Lansing are destroying this state so its time to go for me.

Mark27

Delay on HCP in Tennessee

Very positive news. Wife and I are considering moving to Tenn. by the end of this year. I am retired and Tenn. is way more favorable tax wise for us than Michigan. My CPL is due for renewal this may so can I delay getting my Tenn permit untill my Mich. one expires again? I know if I become a resident its probably recommended that I convert my licence to a Tenn. permit. The geniuses here in Lansing are destroying this state so its time to go for me.

Welcome to Tennessee (if you decide to move this way).
Tennessee is very gun friendly - you'll like it here!
Tennessee has a reciprocal agreement with Michigan, so your Michigan CPL is perfectly valid here, but it will "expire" after 6 months of residence.
Sometime before the 6 months, you'll need to get a TN HCP (handgun carry permit)
Because you have a reciprocal permit, you won't need a training class. You just fill out a one page form and hand them $115. That will be it for 4 years.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.shtml

Mark

Ken56

Thanks for the reply Mark. Tennessee is alot like Michigan in its permits. Cost is $105 here and also good for 4 yrs. I will certainly study up on Tenn. firearm laws before moving there.

10P8TRIOT

Looks like we just might be able to exercise our 2A rights 7 days/week instead of 2! Ron Ramsey's SB0142 was recommended for passage by the Senate Judiciary Committee with a vote of 8/0/1 and is on the Senate calendar for Monday 02/11/2013. HB0118 is on the Civil Justice Subcommittee calendar for Wednesday 02/13/2013.

Last edited:

10P8TRIOT

Looks like we just might be able to exercise our 2A rights 7 days/week instead of 2! Ron Ramsey's SB0142 was recommended for passage by the Senate Judiciary Committee with a vote of 8/0/1 and is on the Senate calendar for Monday 02/11/2013. HB0118 is on the Civil Justice Subcommittee calendar for Wednesday 02/13/2013.
SB0142 passed 28/5.

saiga12boy

Welcome to Tennessee (if you decide to move this way).
Tennessee is very gun friendly - you'll like it here!
Tennessee has a reciprocal agreement with Michigan, so your Michigan CPL is perfectly valid here, but it will "expire" after 6 months of residence.
Sometime before the 6 months, you'll need to get a TN HCP (handgun carry permit)
Because you have a reciprocal permit, you won't need a training class. You just fill out a one page form and hand them $115. That will be it for 4 years.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.shtml

Mark

$115 dollars?!?! That's a lot of money for something that they shouldn't decide anyway. I'm so sick of other people telling us how to live our lives. Don't get me wrong I think Tennessee isn't that bad of a state regarding gun laws but there's a lot of changes that need to be made.

RickTN

State Researcher
As far as I know universities will not be able to claim an exemption on this one.

SB 0142 by *Ramsey, Johnson, Ketron, Tracy, Campfield, Gresham. (HB 0118 by *Faison, Evans, Eldridge, Rich, Matheny, Farmer.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person with a valid handgun carry permit to transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the permit holder’s privately-owned motor vehicle in public or private parking areas under certain conditions. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Fiscal Summary

NOT SIGNIFICANT

Bill Summary

This bill, as described below, allows a person with a valid handgun carry permit to transport and store a firearm or ammunition in the person's privately-owned vehicle in public or private parking areas, not including the grounds or property of a single-family detached residence.

Generally, under present law:

(1) Any business or government entity may prohibit the possession of weapons by any person on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of such entity;
(2) It is a Class A misdemeanor for any person to possess or carry a firearm in or on the grounds of any municipal, county or state recreational property; and
(3) It is a Class E felony for any person to possess or carry a firearm on any public or private school property or bus.

Notwithstanding the above provisions, this bill authorizes a holder of a valid handgun carry permit, unless expressly prohibited by federal law, to transport and store a firearm or ammunition in the person's privately-owned vehicle while on or utilizing any public or private parking area if:

(1) The vehicle is parked in a location where it is permitted to be; and
(2) The firearm or ammunition being transported or stored in the vehicle:
(A) Is kept from ordinary observation if the person is in the motor vehicle; or
(B) Is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, glove box, or interior of the person's vehicle or a container securely affixed to the vehicle if the person is not in the vehicle.

"Parking area" does not include the grounds or property of a single-family detached residence.

No business entity, employer, or owner, manager, or legal possessor of the property may be held liable in any civil action for damages, injuries or death resulting from or arising out of another's actions involving a firearm or ammunition transported or stored in accordance with this bill, unless such person or entity commits an offense involving the use of the stored firearm or ammunition or intentionally solicits or procures the conduct resulting in the damage, injury or death. Such person or entity would also not be responsible for the theft of a firearm or ammunition stored in accordance with this bill.

ON FEBRUARY 11, 2013, THE SENATE ADOPTED AMENDMENT #1 AND PASSED SENATE BILL 142, AS AMENDED.

AMENDMENT #1 clarifies that, under this bill, no business entity, public or private employer, or the owner, manager, or legal possessor of the property may be held liable in any civil action for damages, injuries or death resulting from or arising out of another's actions involving a firearm or ammunition transported or stored by the holder of a valid handgun carry permit in the permit holder's privately-owned motor vehicle unless the business entity, public or private employer, or the owner, manager, or legal possessor of the property commits an offense involving the use of the stored firearm or ammunition or intentionally solicits or procures the conduct resulting in the damage, injury or death. This amendment also clarifies that, under this bill, no business entity, public or private employer, or the owner, manager, or legal possessor of the property will be held responsible for the theft of a firearm or ammunition stored by the holder of a valid handgun carry permit in the permit holder's privately-owned motor vehicle.

Silvertongue

Well, this is an issue. Just had two managers tell me that I'm not allowed to lock my weapon in my vehicle because that's against Walmart policy, which was last updated in 2011. What do I do?

SgtScott31

The bill just keeps employers from being held liable involving any firearm-related incidents and it also prevents the holder/owner from being criminally charged. As far as I can tell, they can still make it a company policy if it's on their property and enforce it. For now, I would do what they tell you. You can always attempt to fight it internally or challenge it in court (injunction against Walmart for enforcing it, etc).

SovereignAxe

Is it just me or does the parking lot bill lack teeth?

I mean, I know they're trying to respect "property rights," but what about the property rights of the car owner? I think it makes much more sense how some states consider your vehicle an extension of your property, and therefore firearms cannot be regulated there.

SgtScott31

It's kind of ironic that TN extended the "castle doctrine" to include your vehicle, but doesn't expect you to be able to defend yourself to/from work. I definitely understand that the legislature doesn't want to trample on property rights, but there needs to be a little give and take. Hopefully most property owners will still allow weapons on property while they're secured in vehicles.

Barnett3006

I only caught bits and pieces of a news clip on the radio this evening about some TN firearms legislation (missed what bill) that got a 4 - 4 vote in some committee (missed what committee) and didn't pass because bill need a majority to get out of committee. Anyone know what bill failed and why?

Last edited: