• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Watermellon Festival, Carytown 8/11/13

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Anyone else going? I'll be there.

Always fun to watch people and maybe educate a few.

Reminder to self - replace recorder batteries.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was at the festival from 1:30 - 6:30 PM - gave out between 600 and 700 GSL stickers. Lots of good interaction with people. Some knew the story behind the stickers and what they represent, others stopped to talk and be informed. Could easily have kept 3 or 4 of us busy - at times people were lined up 4 and 5 deep waiting their turn.

Only had one really negative response - a gentleman took a sticker and immediately slapped it against the side of a trash can with an angry gesture - I simply removed it I gave it to the next person.

Long afternoon, the weather cooperated, was fun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Carytown Watermellon Festival

30th annual festival draws at least 110,000 and the free event sold out for vendor spaces, topping 150 stands!
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_283627ae-dcdd-5037-8a8a-f21e2937c6ca.html

Fertile field, rich environment.

Parked within 100' of Cary St., right behind the emergency veterinarian clinic. Interacted with several RPD officers and numerous event staff w/o the first problem.

Think I'll be back next year.

Last edited:

ClumsyCandy

30th annual festival draws at least 110,000 and the free event sold out for vendor spaces, topping 150 stands!
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_283627ae-dcdd-5037-8a8a-f21e2937c6ca.html

Fertile field, rich environment.

Parked within 100' of Cary St., right behind the emergency veterinarian clinic. Interacted with several RPD officers and numerous event staff w/o the first problem.

Think I'll be back next year.

+1 and thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:lol::monkey

davidmcbeth

Banned
Was at the festival from 1:30 - 6:30 PM - gave out between 600 and 700 GSL stickers. Lots of good interaction with people. Some knew the story behind the stickers and what they represent, others stopped to talk and be informed. Could easily have kept 3 or 4 of us busy - at times people were lined up 4 and 5 deep waiting their turn.

Only had one really negative response - a gentleman took a sticker and immediately slapped it against the side of a trash can with an angry gesture - I simply removed it I gave it to the next person.

Long afternoon, the weather cooperated, was fun.

Did ya get new stickers? How much did they end up costing?

Ya get to eat free watermelons? In the midwest they have corn festivals with free corn .... ***********

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did ya get new stickers? How much did they end up costing?

Ya get to eat free watermelons? In the midwest they have corn festivals with free corn .... ***********

The style has evolved over the years - now cost pennies each. VCDL has trademarked the design, though will freely share with legitimate users.

Watermelon was sold by the sponsor vendors - proceeds to charity.

Imagine...115,000 people, over 3000 watermelons and you! With 60 musicians, over 100 exhibitors, one of the largest kids areas of any festival on the east coast and all of the great Carytown style, the Carytown Watermelon Festival presented by Martin's has become the largest one day festival in the state of Virginia. Mark your calendar now for a great day of family fun.
http://www.carytownrva.org/watermelon.php
I'm originally from the Midwest, so I recognize corn when I see it. Great food, lousy fuel.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm originally from the Midwest, so I recognize corn when I see it. Great food, lousy fuel.

I know a few who bought corn stoves ... I bought a coal stove ... only thing that heats my house

Corn stoves, at the time, had that plink plink plink sound that I disliked...v. happy with my coal stove...but you are in Virginia, right next to coal country .. sweet

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know a few who bought corn stoves ... I bought a coal stove ... only thing that heats my house

Corn stoves, at the time, had that plink plink plink sound that I disliked...v. happy with my coal stove...but you are in Virginia, right next to coal country .. sweet

As a kid growing up I learned to stoke and bank the monster in the basement. People don't understand how clean burning high quality coal is.

Today anthracite is absurdly expensive.
http://www.buycoalonline.com/

davidmcbeth

Banned
As a kid growing up I learned to stoke and bank the monster in the basement. People don't understand how clean burning high quality coal is.

Today anthracite is absurdly expensive.
http://www.buycoalonline.com/

Just bought some anthracite for this season (in my state you cannot burn bit +bit is finicky ~ takes patience to learn ~ but cheaper!) ... $300/tonne delivered (about $6/40# bag). In PA its like 1/2 that ... delivery costs, ya know.

http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php

To compare fuel costs ... coal is still less than 1/2 the cost of oil currently ... and because you save $$ it feels warmer :) My neighbor wants to get a stove but wifey no likes the idea....he cries all winter about fuel costs.

Anthracite burns cleaner than oil too - Obamalama won't tell you that.

And you can use the stove to manufacturer or aide in the manufacturer of handgun ammo and parts (to make it relevant to this forum -- not by much though) and to train in the martial arts (hold coal in hand grasshopper ~ you fool)