• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure how I feel about the 2A bias

Horsegal984

So I got my first handgun and started to wonder about being able to open carry. So I read every thread on here about experiences and issues, as well as how to handle questions and sheeple reactions.

Now I have torn feelings. I'm excited that my right to carry hasn't been questioned, however I'm a little disappointed I haven't had the opportunities some of you have had to educate others. Kinda wish I had the chance, ESP to educate other women since
I didn't take my protection seriously until after I realized how much I needed it.

Sorcice

OC long enough and it will happen. I used to think the same thing. Took almost a year for someone to even notice. A lot of people are so self absorbed they never notice.

BriKW

So I got my first handgun and started to wonder about being able to open carry. So I read every thread on here about experiences and issues, as well as how to handle questions and sheeple reactions.

Now I have torn feelings. I'm excited that my right to carry hasn't been questioned, however I'm a little disappointed I haven't had the opportunities some of you have had to educate others. Kinda wish I had the chance, ESP to educate other women since
I didn't take my protection seriously until after I realized how much I needed it.

Your chance will come. It seems to me I get a question once a day at times. I may go a month and no one notice at all. The more ppl who OC, the more it will seem normal to the public. There is only one group of people I want to fear OC. Bad Guys. The public needs to view OC as the responsible thing for the citizenry to do for the general safty of the public.

One of the things I recommend people to read to get a better understanding of our 2A, and why it was vital addition to our bill of rights is the federalist papers. It was an editorial to the public as to what our founders were thinking and why when they forged our rights. They have no legal bearing on the law, nor do they make law. They do however give insight into the thinking of the time which is still every bit applicable today as they were then.

They're a lengthy read, but the information you get from them are immeasurable.

stealthyeliminator

Your chance will come. It seems to me I get a question once a day at times. I may go a month and no one notice at all. The more ppl who OC, the more it will seem normal to the public. There is only one group of people I want to fear OC. Bad Guys. The public needs to view OC as the responsible thing for the citizenry to do for the general safty of the public.

One of the things I recommend people to read to get a better understanding of our 2A, and why it was vital addition to our bill of rights is the federalist papers. It was an editorial to the public as to what our founders were thinking and why when they forged our rights. They have no legal bearing on the law, nor do they make law. They do however give insight into the thinking of the time which is still every bit applicable today as they were then.

They're a lengthy read, but the information you get from them are immeasurable.
I'm not a fan of The Federalist Papers, personally. I think there is better material out there to promote liberty.

Last edited:

solus

OP, not sure how the title of your thread discussing bias relates to your initial posting???

congradulations tho on OC'g in front of the community you live in and be thankful you have not experienced any type of confrontational encounter from an agitated citizen.

However, if you wish other women were aware, consider doing speaking gigs infront of women's groups such as possibly your religious group, or become involved with: NRA has a woman's firearm entity (http://women.nra.org/) with a goal aimed towards assisting women and their firearm needs.

ipse

stealthyeliminator

Such as...............?

Perhaps some anti-federalist papers, which could probably be more accurately referred to as federalist papers, while the federalist papers could probably be more accurately described as nationalist papers. Federalist paper 84 actually opposed the penning of a Bill of Rights (which is where the protection to the right to bear arms resides). Perhaps they had a good argument, perhaps not. But I think that it's pretty clear that the federalist papers did indeed serve promote the strengthening and centralization of a national government, specifically into the national government that we "have today".

I'm sure there is plenty of more modern work that is worth the read as well. I have a hard time recommending material that I haven't read completely myself, and I'm not much of a reader of books. I tend to prefer books such as For a New Liberty or The Ethics of Liberty, both by Murray N. Rothbard. Probably anything on mises.org is worth reading.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Horsegal984

OP, not sure how the title of your thread discussing bias relates to your initial posting???

congradulations tho on OC'g in front of the community you live in and be thankful you have not experienced any type of confrontational encounter from an agitated citizen.

However, if you wish other women were aware, consider doing speaking gigs infront of women's groups such as possibly your religious group, or become involved with: NRA has a woman's firearm entity (http://women.nra.org/) with a goal aimed towards assisting women and their firearm needs.

ipse

Guess that's what I get for posting when I should be sleeping. The part I find so interesting is when my hubby is the one OCing he always gets a couple funny looks at least. Same gun and holster, so theretically should get the same attention.

I mean, he's not that sketchy looking.... Unless he doesn't shave for a couple days! Hahaha ;) ;)

SovereignAxe

OP, give it time and you'll be able to educate someone.

I've been carrying over two years and I've only been able to educate maybe three strangers about open carry.

solus

horsegal, both of you OC'g with holey & dirty t=shirts and jeans...

while not a fortune teller...i predict you will glean all kinds of attention, including unwanted attention...

BTW let me know how this act works out for both of you...lol

ipse

Last edited:

roushstang99

Guess that's what I get for posting when I should be sleeping. The part I find so interesting is when my hubby is the one OCing he always gets a couple funny looks at least. Same gun and holster, so theretically should get the same attention.

I mean, he's not that sketchy looking.... Unless he doesn't shave for a couple days! Hahaha ;) ;)

<<<Hubby

Just to prove her point, I had 2 interactions at Walmart today. It is very weird watching her OCing and no one even noticing it. But as soon as I have it on its a different story. I'll either have some one ask questions or give me dirty looks.

And I didn't shave this time either! lol :cool: