• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chehalis PD OC stop

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
After watching the video's.

Hopefully constructive feedback:
a) You talked too much
b) You were too nice, THEY are the ones harassing you
c) Lack of knowledge in RCW 9.41, which may have lead to b)

I know you have been around here for at least a little while... Perhaps it was one of those it won't happen to me moments, at least you have it recorded, you need to know the law or carry a cheat sheet in your wallet or pocket. If you don't recall something in the heat of the moment, pull out your cheat sheet, if the situation allows. No need to tell them the law, they will do what they are going to no matter what you say. You could hand them your cheat sheet. A good one would be the state preemption or print out a couple OCDO flyers. You give them that information and they proceed anyways then they were given due notice on video that they had the laws.

davidmcbeth

Banned
From their municipal code, found here: http://www.codepublishing.com/wa/Chehalis/

F. Public Parks and Public Places.

1. It shall be illegal to engage in the following conduct in any public park or public place within the city:

h. No person shall possess, use, or discharge any firearm, air gun, BB gun, slingshot, or any bow and arrow in any public park, or use or discharge any such weapon in any public place, unless otherwise authorized as a part of any organized recreation program of the community services department or other public agency.

Think the cops violated this "law" then? I see no exemption or exception for them. ;)

Grim_Night

Think the cops violated this "law" then? I see no exemption or exception for them. ;)

The local law is in violation of state preemption so it is null and void. End of story. Regardless, you are not a Washington state resident to my knowledge so why are you even bothering to voice your opinion regarding this matter?

Munkey Butt

Open Carry PICNIC- Chehalis

I would love to host a picnic in my neck of the hood. Question is...Saturday or Sunday? It would start sometime after 1300 as I get off work at 1130. There are 2 covered picnic tables on the edge of the playground, so bench seating would be limited. If someone has one, a "pop up" tent would be excellent for more covered seating. Just make sure ya'll voice your opinion, I'll try not to leave anyone out, but sometimes that is not possible. :banana:

davidmcbeth

Banned
https://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.display&group=clj&set=CrRLJ&ruleid=cljcrrlj2.2

(2) Delivery of Summons. The summons may be served any place
within the state. It may be served by a peace officer, who shall
deliver a copy of the same to the defendant personally, or it may
be delivered by the court mailing the same, postage prepaid, to
the defendant at his or her last known address.

Yes, it must be delivered ... so do not accept the letter ... return to sender is OK.

countryclubjoe

The OP

Talked to much.

Should have not provided ID, ask if you are being detained, remain silent, again ask if you are being detained, request counsel.

CCJ

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Please feel free to ad in your own tid-bits. I do not plan to let this issue go until there is some sort of head way made.
Part of what you should do is file a records request/FOIA request (whatever it's called in Washington) to see what training and training materials were given to the officers involved, and follow up appropriately.

Grim_Night

UPDATE:

So I received a call from a responding officer today 5-15-14, he tells me that they made a mistake, and that the city attorney will be making a correction and that I am free to walk the park as I please.
I believe that i will be filing formal complaints against the two responding officers, but am unsure if i should file against the Community Service lady (enter your opinion here). I also believe i will be requesting a formal apology and request the involved parties be retrained as a measure for future confrontations.

Please feel free to ad in your own tid-bits. I do not plan to let this issue go until there is some sort of head way made.

I suspect that somebody in the department is keeping tabs on web sites such as this. They reviewed the issue and decided that it was a good idea to cover their @$$ and "play nice". But as you said already, don't let this issue drop. If the one officer was wrong and later "found out" then how many others in that department are also "misinformed"?

The issue isn't just getting a formal apology, the issue is that they used threats of arrest to intimidate you into removing yourself or your firearm from a location in which you were legally allowed to be and in possession of said firearm. This is a clear violation of your protected rights. And that's just the firearms related issue. They are also in violation of your protected rights regarding the recording issue.

Don't let them slink away from this.

decklin

I'd also address the incredibly unprofessional manner in which they carried out their "duties".
They are public servants and as such are expected to have a professional bearing about them at all times since they represent the City.
They sounded more like vindictive children.

Last edited:

OC for ME

UPDATE:

So I received a call from a responding officer today 5-15-14, he tells me that they made a mistake, and that the city attorney will be making a correction and that I am free to walk the park as I please.
I believe that i will be filing formal complaints against the two responding officers, but am unsure if i should file against the Community Service lady (enter your opinion here). I also believe i will be requesting a formal apology and request the involved parties be retrained as a measure for future confrontations.

Please feel free to ad in your own tid-bits. I do not plan to let this issue go until there is some sort of head way made.
Can a criminal complaint be filed?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
We should still have a picnic. They are having one up in Bellingham, and my passport has expired, so we need a a south end one. We should start a new thread for this up in the events thread.