• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Read here if you're interested in an Oregon CHL

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Hello,

I am trying to find two particular classes of people:

1) Permanent Resident Aliens who live outside of the state of Oregon who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

2) US citizens of non-contiguous states to Oregon (not residing in California, Nevada, Washington, and Idaho) who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

Go ahead and post here, or you can PM me, if you're interested.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
What's your purpose? Are you looking for plaintiffs for a lawsuit?
I live in California, but I own property in Oregon. I am only in Oregon once or twice a year for a week at a time. I would like to be able to open carry and/or get a permit to carry concealed.

Gray Peterson

What's your purpose? Are you looking for plaintiffs for a lawsuit?
I live in California, but I own property in Oregon. I am only in Oregon once or twice a year for a week at a time. I would like to be able to open carry and/or get a permit to carry concealed.

That's a distinct possibility.

As for you, you can already apply to a sheriff in Oregon. I'd recommend Grant County, and I believe he will be coming down to California for a few shows.

Tawnos

Hello,

1) Permanent Resident Aliens who live outside of the state of Oregon who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

2) US citizens of non-contiguous states to Oregon (not residing in California, Nevada, Washington, and Idaho) who want to carry concealed and also openly in the "no Loaded Open Carry" cities.

What about someone in WA who would apply for an Oregon CHL in a non-friendly city, such as Portland?

Gray Peterson

What about someone in WA who would apply for an Oregon CHL in a non-friendly city, such as Portland?

You apply to Sheriff's, not City PD's. Multnomah County isn't too bad, but I still say Grant County is better for many reasons (one of them that Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the RKBA)

There's a reason for me asking for those two classes of people. They are statutorily ineligible under state law to get a CHL. Those provisions are violations of the US constitution.

Tawnos

You apply to Sheriff's, not City PD's. Multnomah County isn't too bad, but I still say Grant County is better for many reasons (one of them that Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the RKBA)

There's a reason for me asking for those two classes of people. They are statutorily ineligible under state law to get a CHL. Those provisions are violations of the US constitution.

I suppose I'm asking if I were to apply to the place which is closest and which I have the most immediate plans to visit, and I were rejected, would that be worth fighting as an intermediate step (e.g. make the nearby states shall-issue, then go after the treatment of other states once the nearby ones are shall-issue, rather than potentially expanding may-issue to other states?)

Gray Peterson

I suppose I'm asking if I were to apply to the place which is closest and which I have the most immediate plans to visit, and I were rejected, would that be worth fighting as an intermediate step (e.g. make the nearby states shall-issue, then go after the treatment of other states once the nearby ones are shall-issue, rather than potentially expanding may-issue to other states?)

Any litigation will focus on the acquirement of a CHL to be able to carry loaded being a right, specifically narrowly tailored to not foreclose future cases where the local city ordinances could be challenged as unconstitutional.

Alienage and right to travel cases via 2A are easier to win than 2A cases by themselves, at this moment. See my case against Denver as an example.

-Gray

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hmm... I'm torn.

I'm a huge fan of citizenship requirements for the RKBA, but I'm also a fan of reciprocity, though that, too, is based on citizenship requirements (of the reciprocating state).

Can't help you.

Gray Peterson

Hmm... I'm torn.

I'm a huge fan of citizenship requirements for the RKBA, but I'm also a fan of reciprocity, though that, too, is based on citizenship requirements (of the reciprocating state).

Can't help you.

The US Supreme Court disagrees with you, and so has nearly every federal court which has reviewed anything carry law related and involving alienage:

Say v. Adams
NRA/SAF v. Luce

The constitution protects the RKBA of all individuals in the United States, short those who are bearing arms against our country on behalf of a foreign nation or entity.

I might add also that the two classes of plaintiffs would have to challenged in two different cases. One on right to travel, and one on alienage. You do not have to support both to help one.

eye95

Hmm... I'm torn.

Can't help you.

I'm not torn at all. I think the RKBA belongs to every individual, regardless of citizenship, who otherwise qualifies.

tico

Founder's Club Member
I'm a US citizen, and Texas resident with a Texas CHL.
If it matters, I'm often in California, but I don't have residence there.
Hit me up!

Hello,