• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CH 13 Open carry

Trigger Dr

Just on CH 13, Wa most wanted, a brief (very brief) comment that open carry is LEGAL, then went on telling about getting a concealed gun PERMIT. Suggested that if stopped for a trafic violation, should, not required, but should notify the nice ossifer and show him your PERMIT.

Aaron1124

I sure wish people, including the media, would get their information right.. Even people who HAVE the license are calling it a "concealed weapons permit". Sure, it's semantics, but still know what it's called, please.

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

I sure wish people, including the media, would get their information right.. Even people who HAVE the license are calling it a "concealed weapons permit". Sure, it's semantics, but still know what it's called, please.

This highly bothers me too. It's like most gun owners will dumb down to other folks and get stuck using this "weapons" permit thing.

amlevin

I tend to cut some slack as long as they get the central point correct. Getting out the knowledge that OC is legal is more important than what they call the permit.

As for the comment that "it would be a good idea to offer up the fact that you have a permit to an officer", this is merely a matter of opinion. At least they didn't suggest that it is required for general OC. Opinions vary on whether it's a good idea to volunteer the info or wait until the firearm is discovered during a traffic stop, even here on this forum.

Ruby

Well, if we want to split hairs, it's not a CPL. Technically, it's an LCCP, at least that's what is written on mine. So calling it a CPL is incorrect as well. I'm with Amlevin, I don't think it's so important what it's called as long as people realize that open carry is legal and CC is legal with a license.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I seen this as well last night, and was for the most part happy with what was presented even though it was not very informative on places off limits.
Memory left me but one issue is carrying a weapon in a jail while yet it is authorized in Public Areas and if armed and have a CPL or LCCP :) to go directly to the administration to have your firearm secured and then when leaving, retrieve and depart.

Unfortunately I have a family member I visit and have ran into this problem as the jail staff and administration not knowing the law.
RCW 9.94.043
Deadly weapons — Possession on premises by person not a prisoner — Penalty.

A person, other than a person serving a sentence in a penal institution of this state, is guilty of possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree if, without authorization to do so, the person knowingly possesses or has under his or her control a deadly weapon on or in the buildings or adjacent grounds subject to the care, control, or supervision of a state correctional institution. Deadly weapon is used as defined in RCW 9A.04.110: PROVIDED, That such correctional buildings, grounds, or property are properly posted pursuant to RCW 9.94.047, and such person has knowingly entered thereon: PROVIDED FURTHER, That the provisions of this section do not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the correctional institution premises, proceeds directly along an access road to the administration building and promptly checks his or her firearm(s) with the appropriate authorities. The person may reclaim his or her firearm(s) upon leaving, but he or she must immediately and directly depart from the premises.
Possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree is a class B felony.

G20-IWB24/7

We can 'sweat the small stuff' or we can celebrate the one thing I really like about this....

The newsmedia in Washington state reported that open carry is legal.

My how far this movement has come in the last 5 years.... :)

END_THE_FED

Not sure if it is true, but I heard that they use to say "Concealed Weapons Permit" on them.

geojohn

Well, if we want to split hairs, it's not a CPL. Technically, it's an LCCP, at least that's what is written on mine. So calling it a CPL is incorrect as well. I'm with Amlevin, I don't think it's so important what it's called as long as people realize that open carry is legal and CC is legal with a license.

I don't think you can call the term CPL incorrect. Both are used in the RCWs, for example: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

So technically, both are correct and mean the same thing.

Lovenox

The ONLY point that was helpful was when they did mention that OC is legal.

Sort of. I think they further muddied the waters by NOT distingusihing between the two. The way it reads its almost as if you need a license, at least for those not involved in the OC community.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I wrote to the Department head David Rose and asked when the video was going to be made available. I got a reply with "
We try to get it on the site this week but it won’t be until Tues evening at the earliest.
Thanks,
David"

I also let them know if they wanted to do a segment on Open Carry in Washington State we'd be happy to help.

DEROS72

We can 'sweat the small stuff' or we can celebrate the one thing I really like about this....

The newsmedia in Washington state reported that open carry is legal.

My how far this movement has come in the last 5 years.... :)

It demonstrates how well known we have become in the last couple of years with the media attention ,meets ,breakfasts,info at the gunshows and just folks everyday open carry and bringing it to the forefront.Most people I believe are beginning to realize we are just everyday folk and are not the problem.All with out a formal organization ,just a basic grass roots movement.We owe much to Gray Petersons efforts in getting the ball rolling and doing more all the time in standing up for 2A.

Last edited:

Lammo

I tend to cut some slack as long as they get the central point correct. Getting out the knowledge that OC is legal is more important than what they call the permit.

As for the comment that "it would be a good idea to offer up the fact that you have a permit to an officer", this is merely a matter of opinion. At least they didn't suggest that it is required for general OC. Opinions vary on whether it's a good idea to volunteer the info or wait until the firearm is discovered during a traffic stop, even here on this forum.

Clearly reasonable men and women can differ but my $0.02 is this: given the apparently significant number of recent officer involved shootings (at least here in Spokane), if there is any possibility that the firearm might be discovered during a traffic stop, I would err on the side of informing the officer. Waiting until the firearm actually is discovered may result in a rather unpleasant encounter (or worse). For me it depends on what sort of coat I'm wearing and whether there is any chance the little big Glock might become visible while undoing the seat belt, digging for the wallet or reaching for the registration and insurance card.