• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to hearings? What do to?

rcav8r

It's been posted that we should be on our best behavior at the hearings. However, since it sounds like the GOP leadership is out to cross us, should we change things slightly? Bringing signs that say "constitutional carry!" or wearing WCI shirts, or the like? I'd still be against cammo and the other "gun nut" stereotype clothing that was mentioned, but if we aren't going to be allowed to speak about CC at the madison hearing (none of this applies to Wasaua hearings, since they are doing both bills there), how do we get our point across we want constitutional, not permits?
It sounds like we can't even write down we prefer CC over permits on the comment cards.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Good question. If my PTO is approved, I will be at the Capitol on Thursday.

I am also curious about what to expect. I have never been to a legislative hearing.
Will there be breaks for meals, bathroom, etc?
Does one need to speak or can a comment card be submitted without speaking?
Madison's meeting starts at 10:30, what time should I try to be there by?
Do they alternate between pro and con speakers, is it one group at a time, or completely random?
Would I need to bring antyhing other than my smiling face and a cow bell/bull horn?

I really hope my time off is approved, I'm looking forward to this.

BTW, I wouldn't really bring a noise maker. I support all rights, even the right to free speech for those with whom I disagree.

protias

If I were able to attend, I'd wear my bright orange WCI t-shirt. I do think the orange is brighter than the lime green. If you are able to speak, remind them what the official GOP stance is, no permits.

rcav8r

Good question. If my PTO is approved, I will be at the Capitol on Thursday.

I am also curious about what to expect. I have never been to a legislative hearing.
Will there be breaks for meals, bathroom, etc?
Does one need to speak or can a comment card be submitted without speaking?
Madison's meeting starts at 10:30, what time should I try to be there by?
Do they alternate between pro and con speakers, is it one group at a time, or completely random?
Would I need to bring antyhing other than my smiling face and a cow bell/bull horn?

I really hope my time off is approved, I'm looking forward to this.

BTW, I wouldn't really bring a noise maker. I support all rights, even the right to free speech for those with whom I disagree.

Are you familiar with the square area? do you know where the parking ramps are? You can usually find parking in the ramps on an ordinary day, but I have NO idea what impact a major issue like this will have on the ramps. Most I know of are within 2 blocks of the square. I'm not too sure of parking much further than that myself. I think there is a ramp 3-4 blocks down E. Washington, but it's been awhile.

Other than rain, it looks like the forecast calls for T-shirt weather anyway! :)

phred

I am planning for this:
If you are planning to attend, please prepare written remarks to be entered into the public record. You will need 5 copies of your testimony for the Senate Judicary Committee and 7 copies for the Assembly Criminal Justice Committee.

Senate Judiciary Committee:
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/co...merce,+and+Government+Operations&HOUSE=Senate

Senate Criminal Justice Committee:
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/co...iminal+Justice+and+Corrections&HOUSE=Assembly

comp45acp sent this out. I am going to the Wausau "event" which is the Senate Judiciary Committee. The Madison "event" is with the Senate Criminal Justice Committee. At least that is what I understand. I've been wrong before, as you all know.

proneblocked

I would like to attend the hearing in Madison. I'll be commuting from Dodgeville if anyone is interested. I can accomodate 1 maybe 2 people(2 door coupe) and gas/parking would be shared preferably. Im a broke student =/
I plan on dressing conservatively and wear my "guns save lives" button from the last WC meeting.
I used to live in downtown Madison and know where all the ramps are.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I kind of know the downtown area. I've been in Madison for 13 years, but have avoided the downtown area for the last few years. My fondness for crowds is inversely proportionate to my age.

As far as ramps, there are a bunch down there, but I don't know how they are during business hours.

paul@paul-fisher.com

If you are going to Madison, even though they aren't having a hearing on the Constitutional Carry bill, you can talk about the shall issue bill and say things that you don't like about the permits.

WCI shirts would be fine, signs would be fine but personally, I'd not be shouting 'shame, shame'. Also, keep the statements fact based, such as the GOP platform did away with permits, bad guys don't obey laws, OC doesn't require a permit. Try to keep emotions out of it. If you make threats, make them, once again, fact based and don't threaten someone physically.

Threats such as 'I am a member of WCI and we have thousands of members, we will remember this vote at the next election'.

XDFDE45

I'd like to go but we got a hot job at work and they want to get the parts out by Friday so :banghead:. The main thing I want to do is just knock Jeri off that soap box of hers. I was reading the article in the JS and this had to be one of most ridiculous things she has said:

"There is no real causal relationship between concealed carry and crime rates," she said, "but there is between laws allowing more firearms and firearm deaths."

REALLY?!?! I guess she missed the the report by the DOJ/FBI where they said that over the last what, 30 years, that gun ownership has steadily increased and yet the national crime rate has decreased during that time. Also John Lott's seminal book "More Guns, Less Crime" which is in its 3rd edition I believe. At least we can listen to the other side of the debate before we smash it to pieces :p.

Interceptor_Knight

Try to keep emotions out of it. If you make threats, make them, once again, fact based and don't threaten someone physically.

Threats such as 'I am a member of WCI and we have thousands of members, we will remember this vote at the next election'.

If given your 2 minutes or whatever length of time to express your opinion, threats of any kind including voting choice have no place. The most significant positive impact is made when someone articulates their position in a rational and clear manner. Give your position and your reasons for believing it along with your reasons for opposing the alternatives and you will do more for our cause than looking like an extremist who will not even listen to someone else's opinion.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Give your position and your reasons for believing it along with your reasons for opposing the alternatives and you will do more for our cause than looking like an extremist who will not even listen to someone else's opinion.

Exactly! That is when I know I have 'won' an argument with an anti. When I use logic and they start swearing at me.

safcrkr

If given your 2 minutes or whatever length of time to express your opinion, threats of any kind including voting choice have no place. The most significant positive impact is made when someone articulates their position in a rational and clear manner. Give your position and your reasons for believing it along with your reasons for opposing the alternatives and you will do more for our cause than looking like an extremist who will not even listen to someone else's opinion.

Excellant advice and the proper thing to do.

I've been to two prior hearings on CCW. What you can expect to hear from the opponants to concealed carry will both make you want to vomit and boggle your mind at the same time. It's one thing to read their drivel in comments sections of newspapers, online, etc.., it's ten-fold more aggravating when you actually see & hear them do it in person. Most of it isn't fact based and is just personal anti-gun opinions and anecdotes, that mostly are anti-GUN in general and not necessarily related to everyday carrying of a firearm. You must hold your temper and hold your tongue. Any loud outbursts or negative comments made about a speaker at the microphone, no matter how absurd it is what they say, will get you promptly removed. They try to keep these as orderly as a court trial, but not as "formal".

The two hearings that I did attend were joint committees, and both Sen. Dave Zien & Rep. Scott Gunderson were part of the legislative panel (they were the lead authors of the bills). They did an excellant job at refuting most of the anti-gun/anti-carry drivel. I don't know who will be there this time, but I doubt they'll be anywhere near as knowlegable as Zien was.

Edit to add: If you want to speak, you must sign up to do so. Average citizens are usually taken in the order of sign-up. But those who are an official spokesperson for an organization are typically moved to the front of the line and given priority. This could mean people like the NRA rep., the WAVE rep, someone speaking on behalf of a LE organization, someone from WCI or WI-FORCE, etc., because they are speaking on behalf of more than just one person.

Last edited:

Shell

Something that I got from the Campaign For Liberty:
"In Wausau, two bills are being heard: our Constitutional Concealed Carry bill, and one of the permit carry bills. In Madison, the other permit carry bill will be heard.
This is the classic "keep your eye on the left hand and ignore what the right hand is doing" technique. The Republican leadership and the NRA are working together to divide and conquer Constitutional Carry.
This is their plan: Send all of the Constitutional Concealed Carry people to Wausau, then have the real hearing on the permit bill that leadership wants in Madison at the same time.
They believe that, by default, the people that come to the Madison hearing will have to agree with permit carry because that is the only one being heard at that location.
Guess what? THEY are wrong!
So here is our new plan: We need everyone who is able to come to the Madison hearing on Thursday at 10:30am rather than the Wausau meeting. We need you there standing up for Constitutional Concealed Carry and denouncing permit carry.
If we can overwhelm their permit carry hearing with support for Constitutional Carry, we will force leadership to put Constitutional Carry up for a vote instead of permit carry.
We need to pack the hearing in Madison with Constitutional Concealed Carry supporters.
We all must let them know that we will not accept permit carry forced down our throats.
Permit carry is unacceptable because it turns your rights into privileges and you will need to beg the government for them. "

So I REALLY want to go, but my question is: is it going to be "kid-friendly"? I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old, so I probably don't want to go up and say anything, but I could hold a sign or two and add to the numbers of supporters. Has anyone ever brought their young kids to something like this? Hmm...

protias

So I REALLY want to go, but my question is: is it going to be "kid-friendly"? I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old, so I probably don't want to go up and say anything, but I could hold a sign or two and add to the numbers of supporters. Has anyone ever brought their young kids to something like this? Hmm...

It would be good to show your children the legislative process.

rcav8r

Remember though, this will be a long boring process. Be prepared to leave anytime.

on another note, I think they have a bunch other things to do at this hearing? something about photo ID for retired LEO, and bunch of other stuff. AND it said the 10:30 meeting will actually start after a 10:00AM closed session about something else?

Too lazy right now to look at it again, but it's possible that it could be a long while before the bill is actually talked about, if at all?

Interceptor_Knight

Something that I got from the Campaign For Liberty:
"In Wausau, two bills are being heard: our Constitutional Concealed Carry bill, and one of the permit carry bills. In Madison, the other permit carry bill will be heard.
This is the classic "keep your eye on the left hand and ignore what the right hand is doing" technique. .....They believe that, by default, the people that come to the Madison hearing will have to agree with permit carry because that is the only one being heard at that location.
Guess what? THEY are wrong!
So here is our new plan: We need everyone who is able to come to the Madison hearing on Thursday at 10:30am rather than the Wausau meeting. We need you there standing up for Constitutional Concealed Carry and denouncing permit carry.
If we can overwhelm their permit carry hearing with support for Constitutional Carry, we will force leadership to put Constitutional Carry up for a vote instead of permit carry.
We need to pack the hearing in Madison with Constitutional Concealed Carry supporters.
We all must let them know that we will not accept permit carry forced down our throats.
Nice conspiracy theory but nothing more....
The facts of the matter are that there is no Assembly "version" of the Constitutional Carry Bill at this time. The Senate hearing is in Wausau and the Senate has both a CC and Permit System bills.
Once again everyone needs to remember that a cool head and conveying a message which is perceived as reasonable will make a more positive impression. If all you are prepared to bring to the table is "2A yadda yadda yadda you are not as patriotic as I am" and the threat of not voting for them next time around, you have nothing. You have zero chance of "forcing" anyone to do anything. You will cement the opinion that there should be a permit system with a background check and possibly even training in order to weed out the "hot heads" and "extremists" who are not willing to work within the system.
This is a war of perception!!

paul@paul-fisher.com

Once again everyone needs to remember that a cool head and conveying a message which is perceived as reasonable will make a more positive impression. If all you are prepared to bring to the table is "2A yadda yadda yadda you are not as patriotic as I am" and the threat of not voting for them next time around, you have nothing. You have zero chance of "forcing" anyone to do anything. You will cement the opinion that there should be a permit system with a background check and possibly even training in order to weed out the "hot heads" and "extremists" who are not willing to work within the system.
This is a war of perception!!

We have a 50/50 chance on this, let's work steadily on this and we can win!