• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in BUTTE No Longer Acceptable...

Emmeric

Open Carry in BUTTE No Longer Acceptable in Butte banks.

Wells Fargo claimed to be a federal building - they aren't. Their attitude was very poor.
Glacier Bank called the police on some other open-carrier who wasn't even inside their bank but on the sidewalk.
Granite Bank very rudely rejected open carry before I even touched the door.
First National Bank has never said anything to me the many times I open carried before but politely suggested I not carry inside anymore.
There's a credit union in town that was robbed, so they hate guns.

I believe that is all of the banks. Sure wish we could concealed carry in banks; the criminals sure do!

Problem is, these bank managers (who should be armed themselves) are going to see some desperate criminal someday shooting up all their tellers and they're going to wish then that they had law-abiding open-carriers around to stop the insanity.

That leaves the sneaky women to be the only carriers in banks if they have it in their purse - which so far hasn't been considered in court to be an article of clothing.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That is sad to hear. Wells Fargo here is fine. They even took down the "No Guns" signs from the previous banks that they bought out.

Feel free to tell them that if they were federal, there would not be different policies in other states, and that having deposits insured by the FDIC does not put their policies toward firearms in any kind of federal jurisdiction.

hermannr

Wells Fargo claimed to be a federal building - they aren't. Their attitude was very poor.
Glacier Bank called the police on some other open-carrier who wasn't even inside their bank but on the sidewalk.
First National Bank has never said anything to me the many times I open carried before but politely suggested I not carry inside anymore.

I believe that is all of the banks. Sure wish we could concealed carry in banks; the criminals sure do!

Problem is, these bank managers (who should be armed themselves) are going to see some desperate criminal someday shooting up all their tellers and they're going to wish then that they had law-abiding open-carriers around to stop the insanity.

That leaves the sneaky women to be the only carriers in banks if they have it in their purse - which so far hasn't been considered in court to be an article of clothing.

Interesting Wells Fargo stiffed you. No problem here. as to the "federal" you did ask them if their paycheck was a Federal Government Paycheck? Do you get Federal Pension, or do you still pay SS? If they still don't get it.... Then point out 18 USC 930 3(d) that exempts licensed carry in all federal buildings except for a federal court house. I do believe SD is a "lawful" purpose in MT? No?

NavyMike

Interesting Wells Fargo stiffed you. No problem here. as to the "federal" you did ask them if their paycheck was a Federal Government Paycheck? Do you get Federal Pension, or do you still pay SS? If they still don't get it.... Then point out 18 USC 930 3(d) that exempts licensed carry in all federal buildings except for a federal court house. I do believe SD is a "lawful" purpose in MT? No?

There's a law against pretending to be a federal employee:

US Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 43 > § 912

[h=2]§ 912. OFFICER OR EMPLOYEE OF THE UNITED STATES[/h]

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

bc.cruiser

Forgive the correction: that's 18 USC 930 (d) 3

I gotta wonder: Just what might you be hunting? Or are you using "other lawful purpose" as the basis of carrying?:D

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Banks are private property so the manager can do as they wish. However, if that bank has a corporate policy that is to follow state law you should contact corporate to have the issue cleared up with local managers. I open carry in banks in Ronan and Polson without issues when i am in town.

Get yourself a man bag :)

Butte unfortunately is very liberal and I have heard several times the anti-gun stance that city has.

XD9mmFMJ

Please tell me Billings is better than Butte in that regard. I have a serious issue with all the commie liberals invading this country.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Emmeric have you contacted the corporate offices of the banks which have rejected open carriers? The reason I ask is that banks like Wells Fargo expect their management to fall in line with their corporate objectives, and if a bank manager is turning away customers where corporate policy is to welcome them then he is outside of their management expectations. Out of line workers and management have the potential to cost businesses significant losses over the long term if their behavior does not represent the most welcoming attitude.

While it's not necessarily commonplace for managers to be significantly out of step with corporate policies, it has been known to happen and a phone call or well written letter may be all that's needed to correct the issue. I've been there myself with large companies who have had store managers out of line with the posting of "No Guns" signs, but they were quickly reeled in once the corporate office got involved.

T

TWG2A

A Bank/Firearm Photo You May Enjoy Seeing

Can't recall the source for this, but it's from a story a few years ago where a Bank Manager proclaimed his branch to be friendly and welcoming to firearms owners. I saved the pic, and thought in light of this thread you might enjoy it as much as I did.......

Attachments

• bank2AWelcome.jpg
    bank2AWelcome.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 475

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Reminds me of...

... The Lion King.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LionKingMTButte.jpg
    LionKingMTButte.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,550
Last edited:

Seigi

There's a law against pretending to be a federal employee:

US Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 43 > § 912

[h=2]§ 912. OFFICER OR EMPLOYEE OF THE UNITED STATES[/h]

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

3 years? That would make it a felony, wouldn't it? The kind citizens can arrest for? So, hypothetically, if you were to draw that weapon he hates so much and arrest him on the spot that would, in theory, be legal?

I wouldn't suggest doing it, what with strict liability on citizens arrests and armed guards who might get the wrong idea, but if it checks out legally it'd be an interesting talking point.

DocWalker

3 years? That would make it a felony, wouldn't it? The kind citizens can arrest for? So, hypothetically, if you were to draw that weapon he hates so much and arrest him on the spot that would, in theory, be legal?

I wouldn't suggest doing it, what with strict liability on citizens arrests and armed guards who might get the wrong idea, but if it checks out legally it'd be an interesting talking point.

I would go back in with a recorder and video and ask him again if he represented the federal goverment....after he confirmed it on tape I would give him a copy of the law he just broke and ask him if he would like to follow you to the police station or if he would like to call the police and ride in their car....

That would make his but-hole pucker....lol

DocWalker

That is sad to hear. Wells Fargo here is fine. They even took down the "No Guns" signs from the previous banks that they bought out.

Feel free to tell them that if they were federal, there would not be different policies in other states, and that having deposits insured by the FDIC does not put their policies toward firearms in any kind of federal jurisdiction.

Good to hear, My wife has a Wells fargo account and I have our morgage and use her account to cash checks. I will be in Las Vegas 15-21 July for an Orthopedic thing and might need to cash a check depending on my luck.....lol