• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

voice recorders

Fallschirjmäger

No problem.
My last cellphone lasted for 6 years (only replaced because I switched plans, it was/is a tank). The new one... not sure yet but I'd probably go with mass produced plastic over custom molded Kydex just due to the cost factor.

Paying extra for the absolute very best isn't always a good idea. I'm sure someone, somewhere paid a premium for the very best buggy whip made back in the early 1900's and it's still every bit as good today as it ever was. I don't think they're getting their money's worth out of it today without any buggies on the road however.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
My dad once paid a premium for a custom made suit. Probably cost twice what any other suit would have, but it has a lifetime 'no questions asked' guarantee.' It'll last for generations because of how well it was made. Was it worthwhile for him to pay extra for that durability?
I dunno, but since it's a Nehru jacket, you tell me if you think it was a wise investment in durability and comfort.

Durable with a firearm that's not going to wear out within my lifetime, good.
Durable with a recorder or phone that's going to be replaced within 3-6 years... waste of money. Every Kydex holster I've come across has cost more than any of the voice recorders I've used, lost, or replaced.

Do you think it's cost-effective to spend $50 for a holster for a $40 recorder that will be replaced with something else in a few years that the $50 Kydex holster won't fit? I'll happily take a nylon sheath that does the very same job for $10 and in a few years replace it with another for the same amount.

Now.... if someone were to maybe make a voice recorder that had roughly the same physical dimensions as a Glock magazine, .... I'd be all over that like a frat boy on a free case of Heineken. Heck, make it as slim as a single-stack .45 mag and I'd still be tickled pink.

As for the nehru jacket, if it's in black, take it to the nearest Catholic church (Roman or Anglican).

As for the recorder, the RCA VR5320 mentioned in a previous post fits nice & snug in a Glock magazine holder (at least the 40SW size...

Fallschirjmäger

As for the recorder, the RCA VR5320 mentioned in a previous post fits nice & snug in a Glock magazine holder (at least the 40SW size...
il_570xN.294343149.jpg

I think I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm doing VR shopping.

lapeer20m

I've had a few recorders over the past several years. My observation is that the olympis recorder had the best quality audio and the best battery life of the three brands I've owned. RCA was the worse, with Sony in the middle.

I'm a big fan of rechargeable aaa batteries.

I also think the best quality audio is obtained while carrying the recorder in a mag pouch. However recording from inside pants pocket generally yields acceptable results, especially while standing still.

iPhone records excellent audio while carried in a case attacked to your belt. Also records acceptable audio from inside pocket. I use phone as a backup when I am carrying in a place with a higher likelihood of an interaction. Phone will stop recording if a call is received, or memory is full. Therefore a phone is a poor primary recording device.

I did have an msp trooper take my audio recorder from my mag pouch and repeatedly try to delete the audio after he unlawfully detained me. He was putting my firearm back into my holster when he saw the recorder. Carrying it in plain site can be a disadvantage.

Last edited:

91 whiskey

I ended up getting a small microphone for it.

Two things I have realized since I started using this thing.

1. I talk to myself quite a bit.

2. I sigh a lot. :)

Fallschirjmäger

Finding language that specifically says that it's allowed is going to be tough, ... about as tough as finding language that says it's okay to eat a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich.

It's generally established that you have a right to see with your own eyes and hear with your own ears what happens in public. By that standard recording what you could otherwise hear and see are perfectly legal and aboveboard. Using parabolic microphones and binoculars to hear/see inside people's houses or a hushed conversation on the other side of a restaurant would invade those person's privacy and would therefore be illegal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
hi guys, is there a cite "law" that says I can recorded a police officer or any public official

Laws/statutes generally don't tell you what you can do, they tell you what you cannot do. Therefore in the absence of a law restricting a particular thing, it is ex post facto legal. = no law against the action.

Example: there is no law that says you cannot wear a red shirt. Sooo wearing a red shirt is not illegal = legal.

If you do not want to reveal in what state you live (each state has different laws) then simple google "can I record in insert your state" or similar.

Example: Virginia's recording law. Note that Va. is a one (1) party consent state - Since I am involved, I am the one necessary party. Insofar as recording others i.e. LEOs - If they are in public (not in the privacy of their home or office) then they have no expectation of privacy and are fair game.
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

Golden Eagle

it's okay to eat a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich.

Ewww Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should :)

But rvd4now brings up an interesting point. Michigan city's Could write local laws against it. There's no preemption for recording.

Last edited: