• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

firearms prohibited signs

renoglock22

So I was wondering where and how a sign indicating firearms prohibited had to be posted? Here in Reno, at Meadowood Mall, they have a poster sized rule list with about 30 rules posted that you have to squint to read inside their first set of doors on the wall. You will not see this thing unless you are looking for it. This sign is not clearly visible or readable and I have been harrassed many times. How could I handle this situation and is the way they posted their policies legal?

john-in-reno

So I was wondering where and how a sign indicating firearms prohibited had to be posted?

Here is NRS 202.3673 and as you see pertains to a concealed firearm.

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty. 1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of any public building.
2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of:
(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:
(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which the judge presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.
(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of a public building.
(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building.
(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.

5. A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
6. As used in this section:
(a) “Child care facility” has the meaning ascribed to it in paragraph (a) of subsection 5 of NRS 202.265.
(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:

(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or
(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.
Ê If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2725; A 1997, 63; 1999, 2767; 2007, 1914)

Here in Reno, at Meadowood Mall, they have a poster sized rule list with about 30 rules posted that you have to squint to read inside their first set of doors on the wall. You will not see this thing unless you are looking for it. This sign is not clearly visible or readable and I have been harrassed many times.

Meadwood Mall is a Private business that lets the public in to do there thing, therefore what ever rules they set are there own and you have to abide by them or you could or will be asked to leave!

If you refuse to leave, Now you are Trespassing and can be arrested for it.

This sign is not clearly visible or readable and I have been harrassed many times. How could I handle this situation and is the way they posted their policies legal?

You where harassed because you did not know the law and how it pertains to this situation, They have every right to do what they did but you were smart enough to find the answers here.

You can handle this in one of 2 ways:
1. Don't shop at the mall
2. Conceal at the mall if you have a permit.

Personal I choose #1 and I wrote letters to the mall corporate office and the venders, but no luck, there is nothing in the mall that I cant get elsewhere without having to go thru the hassle

Like I said earlier the mall is a private business and can post there rules anyway they want.

I hope this answers your questions and welcome to Opencarry dot org and hope to see you around some time

wrightme

As mentioned, it is a private business property, and they can set their own rules, which do NOT have the force of law at all. The sign is worth the paper it is printed on, and more expensive paper does NOT increase the legal weight a bit.

1) IF contacted by a representative of the property owner and hassled, you could legally go about your business, attempting to simply complete your shopping.

2) IF contacted by a representative of the property owner and informed you must leave, then you must leave or be guilty of 'trespass.'

Unless the 'hassles' included a representative of the property informing you to leave, you are not guilty of any crime.

IF your first contact is with LE, unless #2 happened, you are not guilty of a crime, and legally, should not be required to leave if informed by LE, who are NOT representatives of the property owner.

Review NV trespass law for more clarification, but understand that ANY signage referred to under NV trespass law is for posting of a property as "off limits to access," and not for attempting to exclude some citizens from a business that is "open to the public." ANY business owner can inform anyone they are not welcome and tell them to leave, BUT a sign at their door indicating "no guns/dogs/cats/klingons allowed," does NOT consist of "notice to leave".

IANAL, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.